The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87735)

ceejay 11-01-2012 09:42 AM

33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I just bought a 33 Phaeton over here in Sri Lanka.

It is the only known 33 Ford in the country and is Right hand Drive with the flathead 4 cylinder engine.

I have a few questions for now and will have LOTS more later on as I get to know my car...

What were the original wheel and tire sizes for the 33 Phaetons ?
My car has 16" Ford wire wheels on it. Possibly someone has fitted them later on if they are not the correct size.

Next question is how should one operate the starter ?
I have seen lots of YouTube videos where on Left Hand Drive cars, you push a knob which pushes the switch on the starter (which is also on the Left side of the engine.)

I have seen photos of starters with PULL switches on the web... my car has one of these and it has been connected to a cable which is on the dash. Pull to start... is this wrong ?

if it should have a push to start foot knob, should it still be on the left side... meaning on the passengers foot well ? does the driver have to reach all the way to the other side by foot to press it ? ... or was there a rod and lever system bringing the foot knob to the drivers (right hand) side ?

Attached are a few photos of my car... it has been very badly restored by the previous owner and I plan on doing a ground up restoration to put every thing right so I am gathering knowledge right now :)

bk53 11-01-2012 09:53 AM

Re: 33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka

what a great car. I can't help you with your questions but it seems odd that the starter button/knob would be on the opposite side from the steering wheel. Do you know the country of manufacture? Again, I love the lines of your car. Good luck.

ceejay 11-01-2012 09:56 AM

Thanks for the compliments...

I have no idea what the country of manufacture is.

Until you asked the question, I assumed it was made in the USA.

mfagan 11-01-2012 10:05 AM

Correct wheel size for 33-34 is 17".

ceejay 11-01-2012 10:08 AM

Thank you for that... so even a Right Hand Drive, 4 cylinder car would have been fitted with 17's ? I guess someone fitted 1935 Ford wheels on it ?!

This is not an Australian bodied car coz those had 4 door hinges for the 2 doors on one side and this has the American style "shared" door hinge set up

bluardun 11-01-2012 11:00 AM

Great car. Good for you.
Let's talk about the starter. Of coarse, I am not familar with a right hand drive 4 cylinder set up. I did have a '33 V8. The starter was activated by a button on the floor, much like a Model A. It was located in the area of the accelerator pedal and brake pedal. It was simple rod / bolt with a button type head. The starter switch was attached on the starter motor. By pushing the Button/rod with your foot it would engage the starter switch.
I would guess the 4 cylindar cars were the same.

The '32 4 cylinder cars had a knob located in the column drop. By pulling this button it would move a cable that was attached to the starter switch.

Please note: The switch on the starter is where the Battery cable attaches. The other circuits are terminated here. There are after market FUSE that should be installed on the starter switch. This protects the other circuits. Very important !

Enjoy
Bill Herbert

Capn John 11-01-2012 11:23 AM

BEAUTIFUL!!! AND CONGRATULATIONS!!

Some books you may wish to purchase:

Ford Chassis Parts & Accessories Catalogue On CD - For Windows Operating Systems Only
Year Part Number Required Number Unit Of Measure
1928-1948 VB120-CD 1 EACH
The famous 802 page Green Bible is now available for a wallet friendly price on CD-ROM from MAC's Antique Auto Parts. Even better than the print version, you can now zoom in to view details you cannot easily see and print out only the pages you need for the current job. No more guessing if that is a part on your schematic or an oily fingerprint - just print out a new page.

Vehicles covered: 1928-48 Ford Passenger car, 1928-47 Ford Pickup Truck.
The CD has these features:
* Printable - Print only the pages you need.
* Zoom - Zoom in to over 120% to see exact details.
* Licensed - approved and licensed by Ford Motor Company.
* Bookmarked - Manual is bookmarked to locate sections in seconds.

* Requires Microsoft Windows and the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to use *

The 1933-34 Ford Book - 460 Pages
1933-1934 VB334 1 EACH
Compiled by the early V8 Club of America, this book is full of useful information & tons of pictures, which include factory photos, memorabilia & illustrations. The definitive reference resource for all 1933-34 Fords, spiral bound for convenient reading.
http://www.earlyfordv8.org/

Chassis Parts List - 268 Pages - Ford
1932-1937 VB34 1 EACH

Trim & Hardware Reference Book - 168 Pages - Ford
1928-1938 PF2 1 EACH
Photos and dimensions of all Ford trim parts. Includes original Ford number and vehicle application for everything from striker plates and window regulators to upholstery tacks. Also both numerical & body-type listings with numbers.
Includes photos of several body styles. With body type listing. Includes body trim and parts nomenclature.
Passenger cars & Trucks.

Body Parts List - Ford Passenger & Commercial Cars - 76 Pages
1933-1934 VB33 1 EACH
Includes several photos of body styles. With body type listing. 1933-34. Includes trim & parts nomenclature.

rotorwrench 11-01-2012 12:51 PM

Most right hand drive Ford cars were made in Canada then shipped in knock down form. Many final touches were performed by the country of final destination. Australian cars had a lot of different characteristics depending on what body style they were entended to be. Ford did have an assembly plant in India. I would think that the Indian cars could have had there own treatments during final assembly but would have no idea of the differences.

ceejay 11-01-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks for your input so far guys... much appreciated !!

That shopping list for books is most welcome !! was wondering what books to buy to better educate my self on this car and its parts.

Capn John 11-01-2012 02:01 PM

Paint reference here:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...et+Paint+Codes

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg01.jpg

ceejay 11-01-2012 02:04 PM

Thats very helpful and interesting ! Thank you !!

DavidG 11-01-2012 02:22 PM

If the car was sold new in Ceylon, it likely was manufactured in Canada given that Ceylon was part of the British Commonwealth (of which Ford of Canada held the marketing rights except in the British Isles and Ireland) via Ford of India (also a Ford of Canada subsidiary at that time). Its sourcing had nothing to do with whether it was LHD or RHD and while the records of such information are long lost, Ford U.S. likely produced at least as many if not more RHD vehicles than did Ford of Canada as Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Japan, and Sweden (all RHD countries at the time) were served by the U.S. parent company.

In any event, the engine number on the flywheel housing and frame rail adjacent to the firewall will likely begin with the letter 'C', indicating Canadian sourcing.

FlatheadTed 11-01-2012 02:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The starter like the pick up 4 would be a cable nearest the driver .In the case of the US dash on the left ,were a right hand drive one it would be on the right as the picture ,the starter buttion is about like the Model A .picture but it would take a cable .Since the British had a influence in India and Sri lanker it could be from Dagnham UK .

ceejay 11-01-2012 02:25 PM

Serial number is B5251035

ceejay 11-01-2012 02:29 PM

Thanks for that FlatheadTed... my car has the 33/34 dash. According to what I have seen from the American cars (mine is most probably an American car) they should have just 2 pulls in the center section of the dash. One for Choke and the other for Throttle.

Question is... on a Right Hand Drive 33/34 ford, how did they work the starter switch ? ... still kept the foot press ? or had a cable pull type ?

FlatheadTed 11-01-2012 02:37 PM

I think its a pull cable deal like a 32 or pick up 4 .Dave G should know .you see the gismo thats fits on the starter (pict)

ceejay 11-01-2012 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes Ted... saw that pic.. Here is a pic showing my starter and cable. I was just wondering if my set up was correct for my car or someone had changed things... (lots of things have been changed on my car including having 16" 1935 Ford wire wheels)

Capn John 11-01-2012 02:48 PM

For serial number ID see the following:
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

Looks as if it was manufactured in December 1933

ceejay 11-01-2012 02:53 PM

Thanks for that Capn John. I had come across that before... It appears my car is a December 1933 car.

It does have the chrome trim around the instrument panel and curved hood louvers

FlatheadTed 11-01-2012 02:59 PM

The starter cable CJ is correct ,If it was a v8 you would have the floor starter between the pedals you should have the hole there ,I can understand how things could have been changed having been to Sri Lanka and India Your lucky you haven't got a Ambassador or Mahindra motor in it.