The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvel's Mystery Oil (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269160)

Chris in WNC 02-24-2020 08:22 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil & California
 

I like MMO and have used it for 30+ years.

My bride grew up in Haight-Ashbury and we both love Northern California,
just don't have deep enough pockets to live there.
besides, 75% of the grandchildren are in the east.

sure, California is overdeveloped and poorly governed but so is my favorite city, Asheville NC.
unless you move out in the woods that's just how it is in 21st century USA:cool:

Synchro909 02-24-2020 09:28 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

[QUOTE=shew01;1855424]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1855420)



No, it doesnít smell like almonds. It smells like wintergreen to me. If you donít have wintergreen in your area, would you have spearmint? Iím not sure what else to relate it to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, Thanks. It sounds like it is not the same as we used to have.

MikeK 02-24-2020 10:57 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

MMO consists of a naphthalenic rather than a paraffinic base. There is also a halogenated component. The combination of those two permits it to penetrate gummed up and oxygen linked polymerized parafinic oil deposits that stick valves, lifters, and rings.

The second part of it all is an ester oil content. (the 'wintergreen mint oil' you smell) Esters are superior lubes that are categorized as synthetics in the oil industry. That's why it works- solvent power plus synthetic lube.

Specifically, the ester methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) is also an excellent polar penetrant for metallic oxides residing on the surface of metal parts.

I guess those three added together have resulted in it's reputation as one of the better 'snake oils'.

Synchro909 02-25-2020 01:08 AM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1855536)
MMO consists of a naphthalenic rather than a paraffinic base. There is also a halogenated component. The combination of those two permits it to penetrate gummed up and oxygen linked polymerized parafinic oil deposits that stick valves, lifters, and rings.

The second part of it all is an ester oil content. (the 'wintergreen mint oil' you smell) Esters are superior lubes that are categorized as synthetics in the oil industry. That's why it works- solvent power plus synthetic lube.

Specifically, the ester methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) is also an excellent polar penetrant for metallic oxides residing on the surface of metal parts.

I guess those three added together have resulted in it's reputation as one of the better 'snake oils'.

Sounds like it is worth my while checking out transporting some, then try to buy some and get it to the shipper's depot (Ranch Domingeuz, CA). Is it labelled as flammable?

Ernie Vitucci 02-25-2020 11:36 AM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Good Morning...almost every hardware store has MMM on the shelf...Take a look at your local ACE. Ernie in Arizona

30 Closed Cab PU 02-25-2020 12:23 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1855697)
Good Morning...almost every hardware store has MMM on the shelf...Take a look at your local ACE. Ernie in Arizona

He is from Australia, it may not be available there.

30 Closed Cab PU 02-25-2020 12:28 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1855566)
Sounds like it is worth my while checking out transporting some, then try to buy some and get it to the shipper's depot (Ranch Domingeuz, CA). Is it labelled as flammable?



Here is a link to the SDS sheet, is flammable.


https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/med...ystery-oil.pdf

Werner 02-25-2020 01:35 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1855719)
He is from Australia, it may not be available there.

Yes, MMO is not shopping everywhere because of "questionable" ingredients. It is no longer imported in Germany. I picked up the last 3 gallons in Belgium.

30 Closed Cab PU 02-25-2020 02:10 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Think I have also read that SeaFoam in the gas and oil can help sticky valves.

Synchro909 02-25-2020 05:23 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1855722)
Here is a link to the SDS sheet, is flammable.


https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/med...ystery-oil.pdf

Thanks for the "30". If it is labelled as flammable, they won't transport it without onerous (and expensive) safety provisions so I guess I can't get it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.