The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Water Pump Housing Crack (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219951)

Roadster Rich 05-01-2017 10:00 AM

Water Pump Housing Crack

3 Attachment(s)
Just pulled the water pump casting from the carb cleaner dip and this is what I see, for a crack starting at the forward neck.
Attachment 314448
Here is how it looks from the inside of the casting.
Attachment 314449

Do you think this can be used? I have lots of parts but no extra water pump casting.

Also here is a terrifying shot of the fan that was on the car. How long do you think this had before exploding and ruining a radiator or hood or both!
Attachment 314450

Sorry, I don't know how the pictures got out of order and doubled up on the fan, but I cannot fix it!

Roadster Rich 05-01-2017 10:01 AM

Re: Water Pump Housing Crack

Actually the preview was messed up but the post is how I intended, sorry for that last sentence.

Charlie Stephens 05-01-2017 10:14 AM

You should be able to get a replacement casting cheap from a friend or wanted ad so I would just replace it.

Charlie Stephens

Kevin in NJ 05-01-2017 10:15 AM

Fan might have lasted a while. I think they often have traveled many miles in bad states cause people do not bother checking them. Yes, I would scrap that one, no I would not sell it.

The water pump housings are quite common just get another. In the last year I went though my pile and scrapped few that had cracks. Just ask around, probably 20 available in a 20 mile radius just a matter of finding the people.

Joe K 05-01-2017 10:22 AM

And that fan looks like a "wall hanger" - after you drill a big honker hole in one side which will allow you to hang it on a nail.

Render it "unusable." Someone unfamiliar with the Model A may clean out after and assume this a "viable spare part." I would not wish to go to my grave with any thought I might have harmed someone - even unintentionally.

Joe K

SeaSlugs 05-01-2017 10:23 AM

Scrap the fan or deem as a wall hanger. The water pump castings arent hard to come by (i somehow accumulated 4 -6 myself...) and yours probably cracked from your out of balance fan wiggling it up and down.

Get the aluminum 2 blade fan and buy a new pump or find a friend with a housing and rebuild yours.

captndan 05-01-2017 12:18 PM

For sure get a new fan. The casting could be repaired by drilling a hole on each end of the crack then brazing it. But as others have said they are not that expensive.

Brentwood Bob 05-01-2017 01:16 PM

Not worth it to try to cobble the wp together.
Bob

Dave in MN 05-01-2017 02:41 PM

You nearly had failure that could have taken out your hood, radiator or both. Replace them both. The two blade aluminum fans are pretty good, I have used one for over 90,000 miles on our Touring car and not had or heard of a failure with them.

If you need a water pump housing, pm me and I will send you one for the cost of the shipping. The housing should fit into a USPS "One Rate" shipping box.
Good Day.

Tom Wesenberg 05-01-2017 03:46 PM

I'd say you are very lucky on both accounts. Definitely replace both.
The way my luck has been this past week, the fan would have taken out my hood and radiator, then when I fixed that, the housing would have broke and repeated the damage.

Dave in MN 05-01-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1466682)
I'd say you are very lucky on both accounts. Definitely replace both.
The way my luck has been this past week, the fan would have taken out my hood and radiator, then when I fixed that, the housing would have broke and repeated the damage.

Ouch Tom!
Hope you have better weeks ahead.
Dave

Synchro909 05-01-2017 06:00 PM

Both the casting and fan would be on my scrap heap PRONTO! As others have said, both the castings and aluminium fans are plentiful. It's a no brainer!

1930marie 05-02-2017 06:07 AM

Call Jim Rupert for a pump - money well spent. You will be glad you did.

Roadster Rich 05-02-2017 07:40 AM

Thanks for the advice. I would never have put that fan back on. But if I had not soaked the casting, I might never have seen that crack.

Steve at Bert's has given me a good price on a sound casting only so I am going that direction.

Rich

Synchro909 05-02-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadster Rich (Post 1466962)
Thanks for the advice. I would never have put that fan back on. But if I had not soaked the casting, I might never have seen that crack.

Steve at Bert's has given me a good price on a sound casting only so I am going that direction.

Rich

Good move - and buy a new fan while you're there. It would be cheap insurance against the day the one you have lets go, and it will some day.:eek:

RonC 05-02-2017 07:09 PM

I would buy a new leakless pump and fan.

Synchro909 05-02-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 1467260)
I would buy a new leakless pump and fan.

Even better, though those so called leakless pumps give up the ghost after about 20,000 miles, which is probably a lifetime's driving for most.

J Franklin 05-02-2017 07:30 PM

The seal in the leakless pumps are easily replaced. Everything wears out sooner or later, even us.

joncrane 05-02-2017 07:53 PM

I have a Brattens leakless pump. My question is " Does it get greased??" Are the grease fittings real or decorative?

Synchro909 05-02-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1467272)
The seal in the leakless pumps are easily replaced. Everything wears out sooner or later, even us.

I have said on FB here several times that the stainless steel shafts the vendors carry these days are too soft. It won't just be a matter of replacing the seal. The shaft will need it too. The steel shafts they used to carry were MUCH better but everybody decided that stainless must be better so the vendors obliged.:mad:
Yup, I'm wearing out too. Never thought I would when I was younger.