The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wood top ribs question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292628)

OldFordPrick 01-07-2021 12:40 PM

Wood top ribs question

I installed the wood rib kit from classic wood products and it fit perfectly in my 1936 Fordor. I got new chicken wire from tractor supply and I am ready to install it but I noticed the factory ribs have thin pieces of cardboard between the ribs and chicken wire. Do I need the cardboard pieces and if so where do I buy them? Or do I just staple the chicken wire directly to the ribs?

Don Rogers 01-07-2021 03:59 PM

Re: Wood top ribs question

On the ribs that I have the insulating material is either a waterproof cardboard or a thick tar paper type material. There also was little evidence that the chicken wire was stapled to the ribs. Maybe in one or two places??

Newc 01-07-2021 08:41 PM

Was the wire ever used as antenna? Newc

Don Rogers 01-07-2021 09:24 PM

On all closed 35-36 Fords the chicken wire was the antenna. Thats why the chicken wire must stay isolated from the metal body

OldFordPrick 01-07-2021 11:48 PM

Yes my car has an antenna wire hooked to the original chicken wire

OldFordPrick 03-12-2021 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used 1" wide black felt tape from Amazon under the chicken wire. I attached the new chicken wire using 3/8 10mm staples in my arrow electric staple gun. I put the staples in the exact location that they were on the original ribs. I also soldered new radio antenna wire to the chicken wire.

terry 03-12-2021 09:13 PM

Nice work! I also have a 36 Ford sedan. Terry

T Scott 03-13-2021 11:57 AM

Do not install the chicken wire over bare wood. Place a strip of denim or muslin on the top of each rib. This prevents the chicken wire from squeaking or tapping on the wood while driving.

wright-47 03-14-2021 08:59 PM

On a 36/5 window is there chicken wire on across the wood ribs also? My car came with no roof just the wood slats. How wide and how long would it be? To attach the ant wire I assume the center wire would be soldered to the mesh but what about the coax braid outer?

terry 03-15-2021 10:23 AM

I'm assuming that all the closed cars for 36 had the chicken wire. And over the wire there was a thin padding material before the long grained top fabric goes on. I'm getting this from the 35-36 Ford book and it will come in handy for your restoration project. Maybe Don will offer more info. He's the author of the book I mentioned. Terry

Gary Tosel 03-15-2021 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The inside antenna wire does solder to the chicken wire and must be isolated from steel that could ground it.

The antenna wire coax does have a tab near the antenna wire connection from the radio. That tab is grounded the the dash screw on the driver side.