The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thinking of using clay bar then waxing. Which brand do you use? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243668)

BillEbob 05-03-2018 05:18 AM

Thinking of using clay bar then waxing. Which brand do you use?

Thinking of getting out the clay bar and spending an afternoon cleaning up Miss Vicky. Later I will get ambitious and give her a wax job.

Which brand do you fancy?

Leatherback top: What product should I use to clean and seal?

Bill

Hoogah 05-03-2018 05:20 AM

Re: Thinking of using clay bar then waxing. Which brand do you use?

I assume Miss Vicky is a car? :D

leo 05-03-2018 07:06 AM

When exactly should you use a clay bar? I've never used one and my wax efforts seem to produce the desired results......

lake_harley 05-03-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoogah (Post 1624746)
I assume Miss Vicky is a car? :D

Oh, Man.....This could lead a thread adrift very quickly!

Lynn

burner31 05-03-2018 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lake_harley (Post 1624798)
Oh, Man.....This could lead a thread adrift very quickly!

Lynn

Ms. Vicky used to work our poultry here on the ranch, unfortunately she was tragically killed during the great chicken uprising of '97.

Oh, and don't worry to much about thread drift.

TJ97tim 05-03-2018 01:27 PM

I'd recommend black shoe polish for the top.

art ebeling 05-03-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ97tim (Post 1624941)
I'd recommend black shoe polish for the top.

Miss Vicky appears to be a Victoria with a tan top. I don't think black shoe polish is a good idea.

30ccpickup 05-03-2018 05:17 PM

I use Meguiar's, they have a pre-packaged system. Huge difference in cleansing than just waxing.

canadian 05-03-2018 06:05 PM

Hey BillEbob, I have used Meguires . unless your paint has overspray or other crap stuck to it I wouldn't bother. its to much work, if you miss a spot with the clay it shows up after waxing. if you have overspray or crap by all means clay first and use the detailer that comes with is a lubricate as clay guides over surface. it works well if you need it.

Gary WA 05-03-2018 07:02 PM

Griot's you will be amazed after using clay!!!go to www.griots.com great! Products!

Corley 05-03-2018 07:25 PM

How does that clay bar stuff work out on rust? Maybe I should try that on Elvira, but does it involve any work? Cause I don't like work. Besides, I don't want Elvira getting any airs of grandure.

Jeff/Illinois 05-03-2018 07:37 PM

I recall Miss Vicky I saw her marry Tiny Tim on the Johnny Carson show one nite......

Tiptoe, thru the tulips, with MEEeeeee AAHHHH and when I see you, in the gar-den (enough)!!

Redbird 05-03-2018 09:47 PM

Meguires or Mothers. Sold at Walmart or O'Riely's. I use it on every car.

daren007 05-04-2018 08:07 AM

Meguires and Wizard Mist and Shine as a lubricant. Works great, Takes little effort and gives great results. You will love it.

SeaSlugs 05-04-2018 09:30 AM

I like Meguiers stuff. Doesnt leave a streaky film usually and if it does a clean cloth quickly buffs it off to a brilliant shine.

They sell a special spray wax detailer stuff (i think turtle wax brand) that is meant for black vehicles to give it a deeper black look. I use it on my black 2017 silverado and it does make a noticeable difference.

Whatever you use make sure it says it helps prevent UV damage. Not all do.

Also a quick tip if you get dried white wax on things that it shouldnt be those magic erasers (get store brand for 1/2 the cost) work very well on removing the dried wax along seams, textured surfaces etc.

clay bars do leave a buttery smooth surface but your paint better be good - no rust. Rust will embed in the clay and scratch the crap out of the rest of the car. Also if you fumble and drop the bar on the ground throw it away as it will get 1000 rocks dust etc stuck in it and scratch the paint.

BillEbob 05-04-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art ebeling (Post 1625000)
Miss Vicky appears to be a Victoria with a tan top. I don't think black shoe polish is a good idea.

Thanks Art! I was waiting for the jovial responses to end before someone would certainly answer seriously. LOL

Yes, as seen in avatar, Miss Vicky is a '31 Victoria Leatherback with a tan top. I'm beginning to see "blotchy" areas on the top and not at all sure of how to clean/treat it.

Thanks ALL others!! Meguires it is!

BUT, what about top?

Bill

BillEbob 05-04-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corley (Post 1625146)
How does that clay bar stuff work out on rust? Maybe I should try that on Elvira, but does it involve any work? Cause I don't like work. Besides, I don't want Elvira getting any airs of grandure.

YES, it's a LOT of work (to do it right) and NO, it would do NOTHING for rust. It removes surface crap that's found its way into outer layer of paint (usually when it was applied) BUT it makes for a magnificent total look after waxing.

I've done it twice to my Mustang show car. (Need to do it again before another coat of wax.)

Bill

BillEbob 05-04-2018 09:43 AM

Top dressing/cleaner?