The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mice getting into stored vehicles (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238455)

grumppyoldman 02-02-2018 03:02 PM

Mice getting into stored vehicles

Thought I'd pass this along just in case you haven't heard. A farmer in the Tx. panhandle told me about using sheets of Bounce like used in cloths dryers. He was having the wires and seats in his farm equipment torn up and messed on, he said that stopped them from getting in there, guess they don't like the smell. I've been using them since then. Al

RalphG 02-02-2018 03:10 PM

Re: Mice getting into stored vehicles

I've heard that story for years and I consider it sort of an urban myth. I've never seen much success from it. My best luck has been to just eliminate or at least drastically reduce the population of mice in my farm. I have "blue blocks" of poison nailed in the wall studs of most buildings so any mice that come to visit will get a helping of poison to shorten their lives, hopefully before they find their way into my vehicles. Its not hundred percent effective but is the best method I have found to date. It is rare to see a mouse here now. One warning though, do not allow pets or kids access to the buildings where these poison blocks are located.

Seth Swoboda 02-02-2018 03:15 PM

Only one way, bait em hard. If the throw packs aren't enough use the poison liquid they drink.

adileo 02-02-2018 03:29 PM

Wonder if antifreeze would work

tiger.1000 02-02-2018 03:50 PM

Get one of them V8's in to action and give them there critters a dose of moonshine !

DavidG 02-02-2018 04:17 PM

They don't like the smell of mothballs either.

oldredford 02-02-2018 05:01 PM

Dryer sheet and mothballs inside the car. Never had a problem with mice. I use decon in the garage. I don't have a problem with mice. My car smells like a French Kat House...

4dFord/SC 02-02-2018 05:13 PM

I've been told that shavings of Irish Spring soap will repel them. Boat owners supposedly use it.

glennpm 02-02-2018 06:01 PM

I'm trying shavings of Irish Spring in small plastic food containers and peppermint oil on cotton balls also inside of small containers, both are covered with perforated Saran wrap. Hope it works.

Decon is no longer effective. They were forced to change the formula by gov a few years ago.

I have left small bowls of anitfreeze and I have seen at least one dead mouse close by to it last year. the concern I have with it, is that other pets may eat the poisoned mice. I don't have any out this Winter.

Crankster 02-02-2018 06:54 PM

I saw that DeCon in the triangle packs were going for $50 per 3 on that auction site, that must be why. "New and Improved!" When Bubonic plague makes a comback killing thousands, they'll tell us "Fleas have rights too", apparently.

Bounce dryer sheets make good nesting material for vermin. They don't do anything. I wouldn't use them in a dryer either.

cmbrucew 02-02-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adileo (Post 1587692)
Wonder if antifreeze would work

Kills them dead. I left a drain pan under the red F1 for a week.
Cannot keep them out of my shop so I have de con all over
the place.
Hungry cat is best. Don't feed him, make him hunt.
Bruce

Fordestes 02-02-2018 07:37 PM

At home we used watered down soda pop, when they drink it a mouse can't burp, so they bloat up and die.

woodiewagon46 02-02-2018 07:58 PM

I have a unbelievable mouse story. Good friend lived in a very rural area and had mouse issues. He bought 4, 24"x24" cookie tins and placed them under each wheel. He filled each pan with used motor oil, and thought his mouse days were over. Still has mice. How the heck did they manage to get across the oil?

Ford Freak 02-02-2018 09:00 PM

I put about 5 mothballs in a ziplock sandwich bag , and put it on the floor . The mice can still smell it , and stay out of the car , but my car smells ok in the spring . Never had any mice inside .

Lawson Cox 02-02-2018 11:00 PM

I put a couple of bars of Irish spring in my truck. It has been eaten almost up by the mice. Think I'll try moth balls again, but it sure is tough castrating those suckers.

philipswanson 02-02-2018 11:23 PM

The problem with poison is the rats die in hard to reach places . They love to crawl into heater ducts and die up against the heater core. Use an electronic shock machine sold at Home Depot. Put peanut butter on a Ritz cracker and flip the switch. Next day you will have the critter dead from the capacitor discharge from 4 flashlight batteries. Works!

deuce_roadster 02-02-2018 11:47 PM

I drown them. That way since they are not poisoned I put the dead ones outside and the crows safely eat them. If you go to my public album "cut-a-way" there are 2 pictures of my "mice-b-gone" with "plank-o-death". I don't recall how the pictures got in that album, was a mistake but maybe you can make a trap with a 5 gallon bucket, an empty new quart paint can and a 1/8" rod for an axle and a plank for the critters to walk up to the peanut butter and be done with the mice. I used to make a bunch and take to swap meets-sold over 100 but got tired of making them. I could make them for about 5 bucks and sell them for 15.

RalphM 02-02-2018 11:59 PM

Hmmmm? Moth balls and Irish spring, have alot if clean good smelling mice running around.
Like the bucket I made a simple effective mouse trap. Dig a hole, put a # 10 can in it, smooth dirt to the edges and drop some favorite mouse food in the bottom. They check in, but don’t check out!

Of course the best deterrent is a good cat!

Drbrown 02-03-2018 12:37 AM

I live in the small city, in a nice older residential neighborhood with a few abandoned/foreclosed houses. We have been fortunate to have some wild cats here that keep the mouse population to zero. However the cats are now fat and we have to stay inside because those cats have nothing to eat.

Terry,OH 02-03-2018 07:14 AM

philipswanson I understand the elect shock device works. My Bro-in-law traps chipmunks in his garden with it. He gets about 4 at a time. It is not made to be outdoors but he keeps in under cover.