The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6 blade plastic radiator fan (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305571)

carol ann 10-23-2021 11:13 AM

6 blade plastic radiator fan

Hello, I just received "mikes-afordable" 6 blade plastic fan with fan belt, water pump fan mounting set and fan knock off tool for my 1931 model a. I'll be replacing the 4 blade metal fan that lost a blade. The installation appears to be straight forward however, I've never done this before so I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips or words of wisdom regarding the installation. Many thanks.

Gene F 10-23-2021 11:50 AM

Re: 6 blade plastic radiator fan

Does it have a metal hub, or a plastic hub?

katy 10-23-2021 12:19 PM

Looks like metal in the photo: https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A8600P.html

carol ann 10-23-2021 01:02 PM

it has a metal hub

Gene F 10-23-2021 01:19 PM

The only thing(s) I would say is read the directions. And recheck the tightness of the fan after using the car a little. They tend to losen up for some reason.

I took my 4-blade off, and went to the plastic one like this, and I love the piece of mind it gives me.

Check to see of it rattles on the housing of your waterpump. I filed my edge down just a bit, but don't get crazy with it. That edge has a lot of stength in it. I added a couple of gaskets under my housing to get the alignment right.

carol ann 10-23-2021 03:28 PM

Thank you Gene for both the thumbs up on this type of fan and the tips about what to check. I too am moving to the plastic fan for peace of mind. Seconds before the blade sheared off the fan, a good friend had been looking under the hood to see what the rattle was. He just closed the hood on that side when we heard the bang from the blade shearing off. I shudder to think what could of happened to him. I'll let you know how the installation goes.

Aretino 10-23-2021 03:42 PM

Like to see reviews of this plastic fan after its been in service for awhile. If the six blade plastic fan moves more air then it interests me. My two blade aluminum fan does not track well and its an added souce of vibration.

goodcar 10-23-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aretino (Post 2069527)
Like to see reviews of this plastic fan after its been in service for awhile. If the six blade plastic fan moves more air then it interests me. My two blade aluminum fan does not track well and its an added souce of vibration.

Also an impending disaster when it comes apart.

Eccentric Old Guy 10-23-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodcar (Post 2069540)
Also an impending disaster when it comes apart.

Are the replacement aluminum two blade fans coming apart too? I thought the problem was only with the original two blade steel fans....

Synchro909 10-23-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy (Post 2069547)
Are the replacement aluminum two blade fans coming apart too? I thought the problem was only with the original two blade steel fans....

I've never heard of an aluminium 2 blade fan coming apart. I have been running one of those plastic ones for about 50-55,000 miles now without issue.

woofa.express 10-23-2021 05:04 PM

Plastic fan.
Some time ago when I was having cooling problems I put a plastic fan in my Tourer. From a Toyota, I think it was a Corolla. It didn’t make a great deal of difference and I later found it was the radiator that needed replacing and not the fan. Never the less I later purchased a plastic fan from Snyder’s and found it to be the same- I think in all respects. Because the plastic blades are shorter and it weighs less it should take slightly less power to drive it. In addition it will not lose a fan blade like the old metal blades. I am not pedantic about keeping the systems strictly original.

Tacoma Bob 10-23-2021 05:21 PM

17 plus years on my 6 blade plastic.

CarlG 10-23-2021 07:05 PM

I have over 20,000 miles on my plastic fan, still going strong.

goodcar 10-23-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy (Post 2069547)

I know of three two blade fans that came apart, took out the radiator and made a mess of the hoods. I don't know if these were aluminum or steel. If this isn't an issue with aluminum fans, I stand corrected. My car has a four blade steel fan. I also know of one of those that came apart. These need to be checked for cracks as well as the two blade.

chrs1961815 10-24-2021 05:06 AM

The only fans that come apart are the original steel ones that are several pieces and will crack. The reproduction aluminum ones are cast and are almost impossible to break.

Bob Bidonde 10-24-2021 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been running one since Dave Wilton brought it to market many years ago. No issues.

Gene F 10-24-2021 09:21 AM

I might add, that when I bought mine they were heck of a lot cheaper.

old31 10-25-2021 10:33 AM

Does the 6 blade really cool better, or are you installing them for piece of mind vs the 2 blade aluminum?

burner31 10-25-2021 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 2069698)
I have been running one since Dave Wilton brought it to market many years ago. No issues.

Could you please explain this.

GerryAllen 10-25-2021 01:44 PM

I have a 4 bladed plastic fan, I believe you get more air movement from a four bladed as opposed to a six blade. I have a fair amount of time flying prop aircraft I believe a four bladed prop is more efficient.
JMHO not trying to start anything.