The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ford Script Distributor Body (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283640)

Steves46 07-06-2020 07:41 AM

Ford Script Distributor Body

I found a Ford script Distributor Body stashed away from the previous owner. Since I thought it was really cool, I replaced my non-script Distributor and fired-up the car. Although is started-up, it acted like it had no power, even when I moved the throttle a bit and advanced the spark. Removed and repaced with the non-script and all was good. For the sake of learning, what would cause this? A possible crack inside the Bakelight that I couldn't see? I did not see any visable cracks or any other indicators. I would have really liked to use the Ford script Distributor Body but I guess it will sit on a shelf as a display piece.

chrs1961815 07-06-2020 07:44 AM

Re: Ford Script Distributor Body

Does it have one or two notches for the locating pin? Originals had only one. Might be a crack or short inside the contacts under the bakelite - if there are no visible cracks, it is probably that.

Steves46 07-06-2020 08:17 AM

This one has 2 notches so it looks like this is not an original. Thanks.

jb-ob 07-06-2020 08:25 AM

Steve,

Easy enough to check the clearance between the rotor tip & contacts in the body, .025 - .035.

jb

Steves46 07-06-2020 08:38 AM

I will do that-thanks. Learning something new everyday.

katy 07-06-2020 11:42 AM

Beg, borrow or otherwise obtain a megger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megohmmeter) and check between the terminals of the suspect body.

Steves46 07-06-2020 11:55 AM

I have my trusty feeler gauge and will check this evening. Hopefully this will give me a good indication as to possible cause. Would really like to use the Ford script body. We will see...

Steves46 07-06-2020 04:59 PM

Update....the rotor gap was within recommended specs and it made no difference so I will stick with my non script distributor body. Appreciate all the help.

shew01 07-06-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves46 (Post 1906465)
I found a Ford script Distributor Body stashed away from the previous owner. Since I thought it was really cool, I replaced my non-script Distributor and fired-up the car. Although is started-up, it acted like it had no power, even when I moved the throttle a bit and advanced the spark. Removed and repaced with the non-script and all was good. For the sake of learning, what would cause this? A possible crack inside the Bakelight that I couldn't see? I did not see any visable cracks or any other indicators. I would have really liked to use the Ford script Distributor Body but I guess it will sit on a shelf as a display piece.

Did you try setting the timing on the Script distributor? Or, did you just drop it into the head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrs1961815 07-06-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shew01 (Post 1906673)
Did you try setting the timing on the Script distributor? Or, did you just drop it into the head?

He is talking about the bakelite body that goes on top of the distributor, not the distributor itself. Timing stays the same.

shew01 07-06-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1906695)
He is talking about the bakelite body that goes on top of the distributor, not the distributor itself. Timing stays the same.

Oops! I missed that.

1930 coupe 07-06-2020 09:28 PM

Wash it with soap and water in the sink, a toothbrush works good.
Dried antifreeze and other chemicals that have dried on it can sometimes cause current paths, may or may not do any good, but won't hurt anything to try it.

larrys40 07-06-2020 09:44 PM

Steve
The 2 pin notch was universal to be used on b as well. You will notice if you look at the slot opening there is probably a step. It should be filed down to work on an A otherwise it will force the upper plate arm down. I believe this is in the service bulletins in later time .
I favor these when I can find them.

Larry shepard

Steves46 07-07-2020 07:15 AM

Thanks Larry. I will take a look and see if there is a step.

Steves46 07-07-2020 11:42 AM

Larry was correct-there was a step. Filed-it down and installed however there was no improvement and behaved the same as before; even with the spark advanced, the RPMs did not increase and when I fully retarted it, the motor stopped running. Since this was in the previous owner's parts stash, I suspect he already knew it was not going to work. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes out for another one reasonably priced.

Ernie Vitucci 07-07-2020 06:13 PM

Good afternoon...I think that you have discovered why it was on the shelf and not on the car! They did sometimes tend to internal shorts...Ernie in Arizona

Steves46 07-07-2020 08:13 PM

Yes sir!

Conaway2 07-07-2020 08:52 PM

I’ve started hanging paper tags on spare parts I have to describe their condition....anticipating the next owner after me !.....

norcalal 07-08-2020 12:07 AM

As with all parts that have an obvious defect not evident on first inspection, I toss them into the trash, rather than trying to get any money for something I know won’t work properly, and causing another the disappointment of finding that out for himself perhaps the hard way.