The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   proper coil/distributor combination for '39 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162181)

40cpe 02-23-2015 12:21 PM

proper coil/distributor combination for '39

A friend is helping a friend with his '39 deluxe 85 HP that is hard to start when warm. What is the proper ballast, coil, distributor combination for that year? should it have the ballast under the dash on the firewall with the coil mounted on the distributor?

Kahuna 02-23-2015 12:27 PM

Re: proper coil/distributor combination for '39

If it has the original distributor, it would be a "Helmet" type with the coil mounted on top with 2 screws. The condenser is also mounted with the distributor. The ballast resistor is under the dash.
For reliability, I would have the coil redone by Skip Haney in Florida, and maybe get a new condenser. The ballast seldom causes any problem

JSeery 02-23-2015 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the wiring diagram if that help you any. The original coil was mounded on the distributer. There was a resister unit mounted under the dash.

The resistor assy is 18 12250 and used 32-48.

JM 35 Sedan 02-23-2015 12:35 PM

Yes, '39 would have a resistor on the firewall behind the dash, '37-'41 helmet type distributor with a two screw mounted coil on top of the distributor. The distributors in those years would have used some different advance weights. Not sure what advance curve would be stock for '39, but the '41 advance curve may have been considered to be the best.

Ken/Alabama 02-23-2015 12:39 PM

And send the coil to Skip Haney for a rebuild. It will save lots of headaches down the road.

Hivolt5.0 02-23-2015 12:52 PM

Thank you 40cpe for posting the question and thanks for the responses. As mentioned above, I'm working on my friend's 39 Deluxe, he wants it rewired staying with the 6v system. The problem he is having in addition to the headlights barely working is that once driven, the engine will not start while hot. You have to let it cool off before it will generate spark. Someone in the past took off the original coil because there isn't one on the distributor anymore; it's been replaced by a cylindrical coil which has been mounted between the carb and fuel pump.

JSeery 02-23-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hivolt5.0 (Post 1038934)
Thank you 40cpe for posting the question and thanks for the responses. As mentioned above, I'm working on my friend's 39 Deluxe, he wants it rewired staying with the 6v system. The problem he is having in addition to the headlights barely working is that once driven, the engine will not start while hot. You have to let it cool off before it will generate spark. Someone in the past took off the original coil because there isn't one on the distributor anymore; it's been replaced by a cylindrical coil which has been mounted between the carb and fuel pump.

If it is a spark issue with heat soak it could well be the coil or the condenser.

Hivolt5.0 02-23-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1038936)
If it is a spark issue with heat soak it could well be the coil or the condenser.

There is a condenser on top of the distributor that I assume is supposed to be there?? How would I check to determine if the coil or condenser is bad when hot?

Tony, NY 02-23-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hivolt5.0 (Post 1038934)

I would probably rewire the car first, then see where you're at with the starting problem. Could be related.

Hivolt5.0 02-23-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony, NY (Post 1038956)
I would probably rewire the car first, then see where you're at with the starting problem. Could be related.

Good point. Thanks

40cpe 02-24-2015 09:57 AM

Does anyone know the resistance of the stock coil on a '39?

And what should the voltage be at the coil with the resistor warm and points closed?

BUBBAS IGNITION 02-24-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40cpe (Post 1039487)
Does anyone know the resistance of the stock coil on a '39?

And what should the voltage be at the coil with the resistor warm and points closed?

The stock 6 volt coil is .6-.8 ohms primary resisitance........on the average car you will see 3.5 volts or more at the coil ......

Assuming the resistances are the same (close to equal) each would drop the voltage 3 volts with engine not running . A running engine will supply a 7-7.2 volt feed and then they would drop 3.6 volts etc......
Pretty amazing that the coil can and does produce spark at 3 volts supply but they do very well ......
assuming everything else in the circuit is perfect....

40cpe 02-24-2015 10:16 PM

Bubba, Thanks for the info

Hivolt5.0 02-25-2015 08:03 AM

I ohmed the coil and resistor last night, both of them cold. The coil measured 1.6-1.7 ohms of resistance between the posts and the resistor under the dash measured .5 ohms. I did notice that one of the terminal nuts on the resistor was loose so I tightened it. It was late at night so I didn't drive the car in order to test the ohms of the coil and resistor when hot.

Also, here are a couple of pics of the distributor and coil. I'm new to flatheads so please forgive my ignorance.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=30325

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=30326

Charlie ny 02-25-2015 09:12 AM

Is it possible the tube coil has an internal resistor in it ? Usually somewhere
on the body of the coil there is a note stating this.
Charlie ny

BUBBAS IGNITION 02-25-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hivolt5.0 (Post 1040029)
I ohmed the coil and resistor last night, both of them cold. The coil measured 1.6-1.7 ohms of resistance between the posts and the resistor under the dash measured .5 ohms. I did notice that one of the terminal nuts on the resistor was loose so I tightened it. It was late at night so I didn't drive the car in order to test the ohms of the coil and resistor when hot.

Also, here are a couple of pics of the distributor and coil. I'm new to flatheads so please forgive my ignorance.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=30325

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=30326

Coil is incorrect for the 6 volt system.....................

flatjack9 02-25-2015 09:50 AM

Also the coil is mounted where it will get a lot of engine heat. Should be mounted off to side.

Hivolt5.0 02-25-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 1040064)
Coil is incorrect for the 6 volt system.....................

Thank you Bubba. I'll be looking for a correct coil and I assume a factory one would be the best. Do you sell them or should I just buy one from a restoration parts supplier?

FlatheadTed 02-25-2015 01:51 PM

Mount the coil like Ford did in 52-53 standing up beside the Generator .

billwill 02-25-2015 02:04 PM

I think your looking at low compression Good Look