The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   32 grill shell (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295146)

Beater 03-01-2021 12:22 AM

32 grill shell

who can tell me the grill bar spaceing on an original 32 car grill ive read everything from 1/4" to 1/2" on the net who has a real one they can lay a tape on

deuce lover 03-01-2021 03:45 AM

Re: 32 grill shell

1/4" between each of the bars

Tim Ayers 03-01-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1990752)
who can tell me the grill bar spaceing on an original 32 car grill ive read everything from 1/4" to 1/2" on the net who has a real one they can lay a tape on

No way 1/2". That's too far apart.

JSeery 03-01-2021 09:57 AM

Is there any way one measurement is between the bars and one is center to center?

woodiewagon46 03-01-2021 10:22 AM

I have a mint, '32 insert that has the original gray paint on it and the centerline distance between each bar is 3/8". That's the centerline distance from one of the folded steel vertical bars to the one next to it.

deuce_roadster 03-01-2021 10:43 AM

There were different manufacturers also. Some have little wedges at the bottom spreading the bars to hold them, some are all integral. DavidG will probably chime in here.

DavidG 03-01-2021 01:18 PM

No can do at the present time as I am far away from my indoor junkyard, but notwithstanding, I would not use the grill bar spacing as a way to distinguish an original from a reproduction as I think it highly likely that at least one of the reproductions has the same spacing as one of the original versions. Far better to look at how the bars are inserted into the inner perimeter and the construction of that inner perimeter which varies by the original manufacturing source. I doubt if any of the reproductions are exactly the same as either of the original versions common in the U.S. in the construction of that inner perimeter.

Beater 03-01-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1990966)
No can do at the present time as I am far away from my indoor junkyard, but notwithstanding, I would not use the grill bar spacing as a way to distinguish an original from a reproduction as I think it highly likely that at least one of the reproductions has the same spacing as one of the original versions. Far better to look at how the bars are inserted into the inner perimeter and the construction of that inner perimeter which varies by the original manufacturing source. I doubt if any of the reproductions are exactly the same as either of the original versions common in the U.S. in the construction of that inner perimeter.

who said anything about useing the spaceing to distinguish original from repro?

thanks anyways

DavidG 03-01-2021 02:27 PM

Pardon me for trying to be of assistance.

rockfla 03-01-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1990993)

Thanks David, I always pickup something new in everyone of your post....and even though you verified my extra original insert.....Thanks for everything you share!!!!

BoxCar Tom 03-01-2021 11:16 PM

A bit harsh ??? Wooooow Some additional FREE info just to cover the base, Brakes On, Skid marks, nope, nothing doing. Did you get your fingers back fast enough

Deuce-Addict 03-02-2021 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1990966)

Thanks David, most helpful - as always super to learn something new from you.

moefuzz 03-04-2021 07:37 AM

Original stampings from Ford should all be the same, it's that aftermarket grilles (of the old day) that vary widely.

And David is right and has a valid point. unlike others who missed the gist of the answer.

JM 35 Sedan 03-04-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1990993)

David, I can assure you that most all of us who post, or just read posts here, appreciate your in-depth knowledge on these early Ford V-8'S, especially the '32's, plus we appreciate your willingness to readily share your knowledge with us.

3ARDUN2 03-08-2021 10:01 AM

I’ll second what Mike says. John.

Krylon32 03-08-2021 05:06 PM

Closest repro insert I have seen to an original to date are the ones manufactured by Dales in OKC. It's unfortunate no one picked up the torch after he left us. They always fit good in original shells. I have used quite a few in the past and am fortunate to have one left for a current project. Recently sold another to a friend. I need to check out the inserts from United Pacific.

woodiewagon46 03-08-2021 06:18 PM

The mint, original, grill shell and insert that is hanging on my garage wall hasn't changed, still 3/8" center to center.

19ED30 03-08-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1990979)
who said anything about useing the spaceing to distinguish original from repro?

thanks anyways

David might of miss read the Question,
David G is pretty much the 1932 Guy ,
Not to much he has not see on 32s.
His book is the most to identify how Ford did it. I have talk to Dave a few times on the phone he always has took the time to talk with me, & I have shared different details that I've spotted. thanks David G