The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do you all test for an intake manifold air leak? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297601)

Rob Doe 04-21-2021 02:54 AM

How do you all test for an intake manifold air leak?

What are some of the methods you all use? What do you spray around the manifold, starter fluid(some percent ether), brake cleaner, WD40?

I'd like to be as safe as possible.

Big hammer 04-21-2021 06:50 AM

Re: How do you all test for an intake manifold air leak?

DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER---------------- The gas cloud it produces could kill you!!! I've used carb cleaner in a spray can and the little tube pointing it around the flange

BTERRY29 04-21-2021 07:20 AM

Starter fluid will do the trick to

Jack Shaft 04-21-2021 07:44 AM

the wifes hairspray...and as an added benefit it will hold for hours with a pleasant scent

john charlton 04-21-2021 07:46 AM

WD 40 worked very well for me . Sprayed it between the block and manifold from the top The engine did an instant speed up ..

John in lovely spring weather Suffolk County England .

john charlton 04-21-2021 07:47 AM

WD 40 worked very well for me . Sprayed it between the block and manifold from the top The engine did an instant speed up ..

Jack Shaft 04-21-2021 07:52 AM

you can say that again John :)

jayvee34 04-21-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 2009442)

That is the method I have used over the years. Very effective if you have a
vacuum leak at the intake manifold.:)

Garwood 04-21-2021 09:20 AM

I just assumed I had a leak since it felt under powered and I felt a little light headed after driving a few miles. So I just spent an afternoon replacing the gasket. Really isn't that hard. After it was replaced I notice more power and she can drive a little faster.

Y-Blockhead 04-21-2021 09:22 AM

An unlit propane torch. Leaves no residue.

old31 04-21-2021 09:31 AM

I have tried all of the above methods and the best for me is Blockheads way. No residue, drips, fires.

But unlike Jacks method I would not be caught dead with my wifes hairspray in my tool box! My wifes red nail polish in my toolbox is bad enough. (great for marking objects)

Jack Shaft 04-21-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 2009480)
I have tried all of the above methods and the best for me is Blockheads way. No residue, drips, fires.

But unlike Jacks method I would not be caught dead with my wifes hairspray in my tool box! My wifes red nail polish in my toolbox is bad enough. (great for marking objects)

Look,I'll wear the fishnets but I won't belt out show tunes on demand...nope,not anymore

Neshkoro 04-21-2021 05:21 PM

Blockhead, what does the unlit propane do? Does the engine speed up if there is a leak?
It sounds like an easy and clean way to test!!

Synchro909 04-21-2021 05:53 PM

If you are using a flammable spray of any kind to locate a leak, Rig up a flexible hose for an air intake well away from the carburettor. I use a length of vacuum cleaner hose and duct tape. It doesn't have to be very big diameter - the engine is only idling. You need to draw air from well away from the volatile spray or the carb will suck some in and give a false response. Just my experience.

Y-Blockhead 04-21-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neshkoro (Post 2009644)
Blockhead, what does the unlit propane do? Does the engine speed up if there is a leak?
It sounds like an easy and clean way to test!!

Yes the propane is sucked into the intake thru the leak and the engine speeds up just like any of the other methods using a flammable gas or liquid. Just no mess. I have used those micro-butane torches also.

And as Synchro pointed out, you don't want to point it towards the carb inlet.

Gene F 04-21-2021 06:54 PM

I was thinking about fire risk too. I think I'd opt for a can of WD-40 with a nozzele in one hand, and a garden hose in the other hand. I have been in a fire before, and I tend not to take it lightly.

Bob Bidonde 04-22-2021 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try this easy test technique:

nkaminar 04-22-2021 09:51 AM

A completely different technique is to use a small diameter rubber hose. Hold one end near your ear and the other at the suspected leak location. If you hear a hissing sound, that is where the leak is.

alexiskai 04-22-2021 09:51 AM

Is there a central internet repository for Bob Bidonde infographics? If not, we really need one.

Benson 04-23-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2009813)
Is there a central internet repository for Bob Bidonde infographics? If not, we really need one.

Try this:

https://www.modelalongisland.com/technical