The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hood supports (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296756)

vern hodgson 04-02-2021 09:51 PM

Hood supports

Gentlemen, I there a consensus of opinion as to whether hood props are a real asset, and if so, in the expert opinion of those who have them, which is the best??

Gary WA 04-02-2021 11:23 PM

Re: Hood supports

Henry never had them!

vern hodgson 04-03-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 2003216)
Henry never had them!

Hmmmmm, maybe an over site on his part??

Bruce of MN 04-03-2021 05:15 AM

Mine sure is handy.

springerpete 04-03-2021 05:35 AM

I have them and they work fine for just propping the hood sides open. But if I want to work on the engine I do like most folks do, lay a towel over the closed half and open the other side all the way and lay it on the towel. More room and more light,

shew01 04-03-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springerpete (Post 2003237)
I have them and they work fine for just propping the hood sides open. But if I want to work on the engine I do like most folks do, lay a towel over the closed half and open the other side all the way and lay it on the towel. More room and more light,

My car came with hood props when I purchased it, and I use them frequently. I can see where placing a towel over the closed half could be useful, but I’m thinking that would eventually stress the paint around the hinges and set up rust, at least on my car. Maybe other cars are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMimmcs 04-03-2021 06:44 AM

I also have them but it’s not as if you use them every day. But then again I don’t drive the car everyday. Usually used just to check the oil.

Bob Bidonde 04-03-2021 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have this type in both of my Model A's, and I recommend it.

shew01 04-03-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 2003258)
I have this type in both of my Model A's, and I recommend it.

That is what I have on my Victoria. The props do work pretty well. However, I remove the hood if I plan to be working on the engine area for an extended period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexiskai 04-03-2021 07:23 AM

I only use them for situations where I need to open both sides of the hood at the same time. It's not that often, but when you do want to do it, it's very nice to have them.

Jacksonlll 04-03-2021 07:42 AM

If you don’t keep them tight, they can cause a rattle that is hard to find. Just tap on your radiator supports and see if they rattle.

700rpm 04-03-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 2003216)
Henry never had them!

Actually, 28-29s had them as part of the radiator.

GeneBob 04-03-2021 10:15 AM

I am glad someone asked the question. I haven't been able to decide whether they would be a help or just in the way. Seems like a good choice for when you want to get to both sides like when you are torquing down the head. I can do that from one side but it is nice to have better access to a couple nuts on the driver's side. I like to read threads to learn new things about these cars.

bruceincam 04-03-2021 11:02 AM

My truck came with a "home made" set made from wood. They did do the job intended, but they more of an irritant for me than they were an asset. I found that I was constantly bumping my forehead on them and they always seemed to be in my way. I removed them.

mass A man 04-03-2021 11:11 AM

You can make two very simple ones. Bend a steel wire into a backwards "S" (hook), one end hangs to the rad. support rod, other end wraps around bottom edge of hood to the handle. Put a length of spaghetti tubing on wire to keep from any scratches. It works well and a gust of wind won't disrupt things either.

ALJ 04-03-2021 09:55 PM

My car had them when I bought it. I will leave them on but if I didn't already have them I wouldn't get them.

Badpuppy 04-04-2021 09:39 AM

Bit of a head banger with both sides propped up, but saves a lot of trips back and forth when the addled old fool forgets to close up the other side before moving over the one he wants to work on. That's the reason the addled old fool bought it.

jquinlan 04-05-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 2003277)
If you don’t keep them tight, they can cause a rattle that is hard to find. Just tap on your radiator supports and see if they rattle.

Last year I bought a 1929 Fordor but one problem I couldn't figure out was it had a horrendous loud vibration in the dash / firewall area that happened while driving. It was really bad and I just couldn't pinpoint it. Recently I removed the Hood support from the car because I don't use them. Guess what? That terrible vibration magically went away. I didn't even connect the dots about it until I read Jackson's post.

RobertSX4 04-05-2021 08:44 AM

they are good for showing off the insides to people as well.

dlfrisch 04-05-2021 09:12 AM

My ‘28 has small bracket on the side of the radiator, so I can put the front part of the hood in and open both sides at the same time. To open full, just lay a rubber mat or towel on the closed side and the open side is open full.