The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A question for the guys who DO know their rear end from a hole in the ground (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221319)

HarveyH 05-23-2017 10:44 AM

A question for the guys who DO know their rear end from a hole in the ground

Howdy All,

I have a WWII military "Light Duty Warehouse and Airfield Tug" that is based on a Ford Model B engine and transmission but uses a worm-drive rear end and wheels.

I know that the Model B didn't have a worm-drive rear end so it's likely an early AA or even a late TT rear end. Can anyone tell me if the first year of the AA used a worm-drive rear end or did it end with the last TT?

Thanks,

Harvey

Bob C 05-23-2017 10:52 AM

Re: A question for the guys who DO know their rear end from a hole in the ground

The AA used a worm drive thru 1929.

Bob

HarveyH 05-23-2017 11:00 AM

Re: A question for the guys who DO know their rear end from a hole in the ground

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bob. I've attached two photos. Can you tell me if this is a TT or AA rear end?

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos but these are all I have in my computer at the moment.

Harvey

Bob C 05-23-2017 11:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I can't really tell from the picture.Here are a picture of a AA rear axle
and a drawing of a TT, notice the size difference of the brakes.

Bob

HarveyH 05-23-2017 11:38 AM

Hmmmmm,

My tug's rear end has been shortened considerably and has been adapted to purpose-built solid steel rear wheels (which are about 7,854,669,337,925 pounds each) that use pressed-on solid rubber forklift-type tires. I'll have to check to see what size brakes I have.

The purpose of my post this morning is to figure out the wheel's bearings which are missing. (The tug was partially disassembled when I got it 15 years ago.) I understand that the bearings are uncaged rollers that fit into replaceable races pressed into the heavy rear wheels. I'm trying to determine if these races are Ford parts or something generic. (And ultimately where to get the parts.)

Harvey

H. L. Chauvin 05-23-2017 11:43 AM

Sounds like once upon a time there were two (2) old guys sitting on a park bench.

The guy on the right says, "We are the only two (2) guys in the entire World who DO know their rear ends from a hole in the ground."

Then, complete silence.

Ten minutes later ,,,,, the guy on the right adds,

"And sometimes I have doubts about you!"

HarveyH 05-23-2017 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
BTW, this is what I've got...

HarveyH 05-23-2017 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to include this...

Special Coupe Frank 05-23-2017 11:52 AM

With that worm drive and those tiny wheels, that tug should be able to pull the hangar too ! :eek:

:cool:

HarveyH 05-23-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank (Post 1476413)
With that worm drive and those tiny wheels, that tug should be able to pull the hangar too ! :eek:

:cool:

I suspect it would climb a telephone pole if it could get traction! :D

Harvey

KR500 05-23-2017 12:25 PM

Aren't the worm drives generally Timken equipped bearings?

HarveyH 05-23-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KR500 (Post 1476418)
Aren't the worm drives generally Timken equipped bearings?

I believe the rear end is done and now we're looking at whether the wheel bearings are Ford parts or something else.

Harvey

Bob C 05-23-2017 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a AA rear wheel bearing.

Bob

Bob C 05-23-2017 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the rest of the bearings.

Bob

HarveyH 05-23-2017 01:58 PM

Here are the dimensions of the outer wheel bearing races (more like sleeves) that are pressed into the tug's wheels:
4.25" OD
3.875" ID
2.75 Long

It's highly unlikely that Superior Grinding Co (the tug's manufacturer) would go to the trouble and expense of having special wheel bearings made so I'm betting that they're either Ford bearings, or common, off-the-shelf bearings.

Do you know if they're Ford AA wheel bearings and, if so, what their part numbers are?

Thanks,

Harvey

HarveyH 05-23-2017 02:29 PM

I THINK that these are the parts I need:

Outer Race (Sleeve): AA1236-C
Bearings: AA1225-B (rumored to be superseded by BB1225-A)

Anybody know who might have these in stock?

Harvey

Bob C 05-23-2017 03:00 PM

Those numbers are for bevel gear rear axles that came out in 1930.
Worm part numbers are AA-1236-BR and AA-1225-BR

Bob

HarveyH 05-23-2017 03:23 PM

Thanks Bob. Do you know who might stock them?

Harvey

Bob C 05-23-2017 04:08 PM

I think they are going to be a little difficult to come by. I would start
with Bert's http://modelastore.com/ or Little Dearborn, you could also
ask on the AA board http://forums.aa-fords.com/index.php

Bob

SeaSlugs 05-23-2017 05:19 PM

Good Luck. Berts didnt have any nor little dearborn when I was looking for some for my 29 worm AA... Ended up trading a well used high speed worm and gear for a very nice set. I do have a set - not the greatest but might be useful in something that only goes 0.5 mph...I will have to snag pics soon.