The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvel's Mystery Oil (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269160)

Werner 09-08-2019 02:45 PM

Marvel's Mystery Oil

Good evening, I use with visible success (combustion residues dissolve softly) Marvel's Mysterys Oil. Now I've heard that this fuel additive in California is not allowed due to health concerns (bad cancer ingredients?).

I think that's a rumor?

JBill 09-08-2019 03:28 PM

Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil

Probably true, likely because it defeats the purpose of emissions controls, and California is pretty sensitive about such things! Here in my part of Indiana we have emissions testing, and I would not put MMO in any vehicle that had to pass our tests. I do use stuff like Seafoam, but I don't think it adds any particulates to the exhaust. Notice I say "probably true," because this is all speculation on my part.

barkleydave 09-08-2019 03:59 PM

Well just another reason to stay the heck out of CA!!

prpmmp 09-08-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkleydave (Post 1796945)

Yea!! Who in their right mind wants clean air:eek: Pete

Railcarmover 09-08-2019 04:30 PM

I live in the peoples republic,and I can buy mmo by the gallon if if I desire..or just mix mineral spirits and ATF,like they do.

J Franklin 09-08-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1796911)
Good evening, I use with visible success (combustion residues dissolve softly) Marvel's Mysterys Oil. Now I've heard that this fuel additive in California is not allowed due to health concerns (bad cancer ingredients?).

I think that's a rumor?

Or fear mongering! MMO has probably contributed greatly to clean air by keeping engines running stronger and longer. I use it and it works for me. I worry more about the Pacific ocean and japan's never ending radiation spill!

Anteek29 09-08-2019 04:33 PM

I can still buy MMO here in CA.

Y-Blockhead 09-08-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkleydave (Post 1796945)

Believe me. We wish people would not come to California and the ones that did move here would leave... :p:p

Patrick L. 09-08-2019 04:49 PM

Its always been a mystery to me that folks marvel at this product.

But if its banned in California then its probably something that works and now worth looking into more seriously.

arnhemmer 09-08-2019 05:15 PM

It is a rumor. Use it all the time here in San Jose Ca.

History 09-08-2019 05:22 PM

I absolutely love California, it is a beautiful place where you could snow ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon. The place is on my mind all the time, seriously. I love the NC mountains but I hate and I do mean HATE the humidity here. I want to live in California so bad but the people who have control of the state make sure I will not anytime soon.

Mmo is good stuff.

Y-Blockhead 09-08-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1796970)
But if its banned in California then its probably something that works and now worth looking into more seriously.

Marvel Mystery Oil is NOT banned in California. If it was, Amazon and other retailers would not be able to ship it here. Amazon will not let you complete an order for something that is banned here.

rotorwrench 09-08-2019 05:52 PM

It's been used for years on the A & C series Continental engines for the old light single engine airplanes. It would keep the valves from sticking and reduce problems with the higher lead content of 100LL Avgas. Valve problems went away using it back in the 40s. It works well enough in all the various flathead engines as well. It has to be used properly in aircraft engines though. A few folks that have put too much in have payed a high price. Some folks think that more is always better but the stuff isn't fuel.

Patrick L. 09-08-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by History (Post 1796985)
I absolutely love California, it is a beautiful place where you could snow ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon. The place is on my mind all the time, seriously. I love the NC mountains but I hate and I do mean HATE the humidity here. I want to live in California so bad but the people who have control of the state make sure I will not anytime soon.

Mmo is good stuff.

I feel the same about the state. Its kinda like NYS, both states are beautiful and have some great people. But governed, well, I not going to get political.

ETAModel 09-08-2019 08:54 PM

My father always said Marvel Mystery Oil would mend anything from a Ferris wheel to a Broken Heart!!

California Travieso 09-08-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1797004)
I feel the same about the state. Its kinda like NYS, both states are beautiful and have some great people. But governed, well, I not going to get political.

All I'm going to say is it's governed the way WE like it.

David Serrano

Pmsqrd 09-08-2019 09:44 PM

I had a dear friend who swore by MMO. He used it in his 41 Fordor fro 40 years and never had a valve problem. In fact his car is still running the stuff under his son's care. I use it in all three of my A's with the same results. Just bought some last week here in CA without a problem.

TerryH 09-08-2019 10:27 PM

A good part of the population of California came from somewhere else....would be nice if more swore not to come here.....
And I have never heard of MMO being banned here....not sure where that got started!

The Master Cylinder 09-08-2019 11:18 PM

MMO makes the garage smell good when you use it in your air tools.

Railcarmover 09-09-2019 07:59 AM

And if it smells good it has to be good..hell that stuff looks good too,don't know if you want to dump a few glugs in every tank fulla gas however.

How about Nancy's nephew Gavin running in 2024 for Trumps job? Californicate the whole nation..

springerpete 09-09-2019 12:45 PM

4 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gas is what I have heard recommended. That is a 4 : 1280 ratio . Not much pollution there.

40 Deluxe 09-09-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1796956)
I live in the peoples republic,and I can buy mmo by the gallon if if I desire..or just mix mineral spirits and ATF,like they do.

Hmm, Marvel Mystery Oil has been around since at least the early '20's but ATF only since about 1950. How was MMO made before ATF came out?

Railcarmover 09-09-2019 01:02 PM

Gee you got me there..hey,how who cares,use it by the gallon..that better? A 4.2 to one gasoline L head engine with a manual advanced distributor provides enough of it's own 'upper cylinder lubrication' without the need for additives.you would be as well served by mixing ATF and solvent..

Werner 09-09-2019 02:17 PM

Thank you for the many additions! I understand that MMO is not dangerous. Right?
I also understand that California is loved, but not by anyone. In Germany, the state of California is regarded as a paradise for the sunshine and white strands. -

At my engine the first and second cylinders pull some oil because the cylinder liner has rust voids. With MMO, the combustion residues have become very soft and are gradually removed during an exploratory drive. The engine innards become visibly cleaner.

FrankWest 09-09-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1796911)

I think that's a rumor?

MMO is great stuff.
Southern California is too crowded... They have to do everything they can to reduce harmful emissions. Too bad they scraped their once great electric trolley system.
Did you know THAT at one time California had the largest electric trolley system in the usa.

HD Rider 09-09-2019 03:00 PM

Gasoline has been linked to cancer as well.

ETAModel 09-09-2019 04:04 PM

Now that I can type with both hands I have a MMO story for you guys.

In the early 80's Dad's friend moved to a farm and a 1941 John Deere Model A (no relation) tractor was sitting in a field across the fence. It had been sitting uncovered long enough the exhaust pipe had rusted at the manifold, and the air breather had also rusted at the bottom. The hand crank motor was locked up tight.

Dad pulled the plugs and poured them full of MMO, then replaced the plugs. For the next year or so every time we went to visit his friend we would pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with MMO and rock the bull wheel back and forth.

One January, Dad, my older brother, and I were riding in Dads '58 Ford and we went past the tractor. He stopped and they both got out to check the motor. Dad went on the right side and pulled the plug, peering into the cylinder to see how much oil was left. At the same time my brother was rocking the flywheel/handcrank back and forth trying to break it free. Just as Dad looked into the hole the pistons broke free and rust,gunk, and MMO soaked my Dad right in the face and beard!!

Dad was a combination of mad and pleased the motor had broke free. He found a rag in the '58 and wiped off best he could, but he smelled like a machine shop all the way back home.

The next day he tracked down the owner of the A and bought it. We all figured it would need a ring job, and it took some work to get it running, but it didn't burn much oil and the plugs NEVER fouled out, in spite of using it hard. We never had to open up the old Popping Johnny, and the rings held up fine.

In the early 2000's Dad sold it to his neighbor, who later passed and left it to his son. The son restored it, but told me he never took the head off the motor, and still cultivates his fields every spring with it. I want to go visit when he's using it just to sit behind the wheel once more.

California Travieso 09-09-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWest (Post 1797321)
Califormia is the worst.
Did you know THAT at one time California has the largest electric trolley system in the usa. Then political corruption closed it down and the freeways were born.
Now people can't breath. I lived there for 5 years and during the summer months the smoke was so bad it looked like there was a forest fire.
I would rather live in Zimbabwe than California.

I don't care if you bash California from Zimbabwe, as long as you don't move here. So go ahead, maybe you'll convince a few people not to move here or some more people to move away. Don't know when you lived here but I'm looking at clear blue skies right now.

David Serrano

woofa.express 09-09-2019 04:27 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil.

It was in 1982 I purchased an Airtractor powered by a Pratt and Whitney R1340 engine. My previous aeroplane was a Piper with a 6 cylinder Lycoming engine which burnt 65 litres of fuel per hour, or approximate. Now this big new aeroplane with a big fuel gulping engine burned double and I found this a little frightening so I ferried and worked at low power settings. Well oil consumption didn’t settle and I worried about that too.
Well the Australian Airtractor dealer sent a principle from the engine overhauler speak to me. The overhaullers were Aeroengines of L.A. and Vern Truman was the rep and he was also a part owner of the business. Mr Truman was also a gentleman of the highest class. He quickly determined the cylinders had glazed and recommended Marvel Mystery Oil. I just couldn’t understand what Mr Truman was saying because of his broad speech accent. Marrrvimisttrryall. At my request he wrote the name of the product and I understood. Now his instructions on how to use MMO was simple and made sense to me.

At the end of the day remove the aluminium tube to the manifold pressure gauge, idle the engine at 700 rpm and through the disconnected line suck up a quart (I think) of MMO. Turn engine off with the key and not the fuel shut off which is normal practice. 700 rpm so as the supercharger would blow it to all cylinders and the slowly running engine would not burn all the oil. The next morning do a normal takeoff and the carbon and other unwanted deposits would blow out the exhaust. Yes it did work. Another old time operator said he was recommissioning an old engine and he filled each cylinder with MMO , one at atime, replace the spark plug and pulled the engine through by hand thus ensuring the MMO was pushed through the piston rings. Leave for a few days, crank and run then do an oil change.
I had not considered using MMO in my A Models but will start now. I have a sticky valve which MMO has a good chance of freeing up.

Jeff/Illinois 09-09-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Travieso (Post 1797353)
I don't care if you bash California from Zimbabwe, as long as you don't move here. So go ahead, maybe you'll convince a few people not to move here or some more people to move away. Don't know when you lived here but I'm looking at clear blue skies right now.

David Serrano

California definitely has blue skies and cleaner air again. All you have to do is watch an episode of Adam-12 filmed in 1970 and look at the difference today. Back then the sky was all kinda brown and hazy:eek: You didn't see any blue.

When I crank up my '69 Mustang the stink about drives you out of the garage. And it is perfectly tuned and all rebuilt. I haven't had a newer car in over 20 years do that. I hate to admit but unleaded fuel and a number of things the Fed made the car makers do, did work.

Calif. is a bit too crowded for me and they have problems like a lot of states do today. The last time I was there I had to laugh at a guy's bumper sticker that read 'Thank you for leaving Orange County. Please take someone with you':p:p

Mike V. Florida 09-09-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Rider (Post 1797328)
Gasoline has been linked to cancer as well.

Life has been linked to cancer!

woofa.express 09-10-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1797482)
Life has been linked to cancer!

Coca-Cola could well be an even bigger threat to society. Much bigger than MMO.

lildave 09-10-2019 03:33 PM

Marvel's Mystery Oil

I like “sea foam” better, you can get it spray or bottle. From sunny Orange County!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerkb1936 09-10-2019 03:53 PM

have used mmo in my roadster for 33000 plus miles, eng is still quiet and peppy. someone asked me how did I know it did any good. I replied, "if nothing else it makes me feel better"

burner31 09-10-2019 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like to enjoy my MMO by the quart

Y-Blockhead 09-10-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lildave (Post 1797661)
I like “sea foam” better, you can get it spray or bottle. From sunny Orange County!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using Sea Foam in my Town Sedan for quite some time, mainly because it sometimes sits for a couple of weeks. Sea Foam claims to stabilize and control moisture in the fuel, among other things. I mix 1oz / gallon.

A couple of months ago the gas gauge in my 2006 F-150 started sticking at ¼ full. I added a can (16oz) of Sea Foam to the next tank and after some miles it swung up to full. So I would surmise that the Sea Foam did do something!!

Terry, NJ 09-12-2019 09:37 AM

WOW! What's this thread about? MMO or Californicate? Personally, I love both of them. I like the story of the tractor because I had a similar story, only about a Allis-Chalmers 1938 mod B. Great little machine! It was stuck and MMO freed it up. Cali? Now that another story. My daughter used to live in Laguna Hills, houses on Postage stamp sized lots that cost too much. Too much Spanish spoken! Traffic on the 5, the 110, the 101, etc. Too many people everywhere! YIIIIKEES But the worst is too many liberal politicians. Too many taxes! Too many "Do gooders" Too many anti pollution laws Am I an old angry white guy? You bet! Because as goes California, so goes the nation and that means the insanity is coming here next!
Terry

ryanheacox 09-12-2019 09:45 AM

Does anyone else just like how MMO smells? I like seafoam too but it doesn't have that nice wintergreen aroma:D

Anteek29 09-12-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1798257)
Does anyone else just like how MMO smells? I like seafoam too but it doesn't have that nice wintergreen aroma:D

Makes a refreshing body cologne :D

Tacoma Bob 09-12-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1798257)

It reminds me of the little red plastic capsules of electric train smoke I used in my American Flyer.