The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trick for removing oil pan singlehanded (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303954)

Vern 09-17-2021 12:24 PM

Trick for removing oil pan singlehanded

2 Attachment(s)
As part of putting a new Burtz block in my roadster, I had to remove the oil pan from the old block. After draining the oil, I knew there was still oil in the drip pan and that the pump would drop along with the pan. Not wanting to drip more old oil onto the floor, I came up with a method of lowering the pan slowly and evenly. Taking a scissors jack, I put a thin wood board across the top, tied in place with zip-ties. I was able to get the pan low enough to slip the jack out, grab the pan and not make a big mess. Even so, I had a large pan filled with cat litter under the jack just to make sure.

Utopia Texas 09-17-2021 12:29 PM

Re: Trick for removing oil pan singlehanded

Good idea Vern. As I get older I have to adapt and lifting and lowering cumbersome items requires a technique change! :)

PC/SR 09-17-2021 12:30 PM

There is a tool to hold the oil pump in place. Snyders part No. A 6621-R. Almost mandatory when putting the oil pump back in and reinstalling the pan.

700rpm 09-17-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 2057485)
As part of putting a new Burtz block in my roadster, I had to remove the oil pan from the old block. After draining the oil, I knew there was still oil in the drip pan and that the pump would drop along with the pan. Not wanting to drip more old oil onto the floor, I came up with a method of lowering the pan slowly and evenly. Taking a scissors jack, I put a thin wood board across the top, tied in place with zip-ties. I was able to get the pan low enough to slip the jack out, grab the pan and not make a big mess. Even so, I had a large pan filled with cat litter under the jack just to make sure.

Some kitty litters are flammable. Make sure you are using clay-based litter, not bio-degradeable.

scott_vt 09-17-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 2057485)

Hi Vern,
That sounds like a super idea ! I Don't plan on dropping the pan anytime soon, but that looks like it would work out well !:)

Thanks Scotty