The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question ???? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288923)

Nick in Fayetteville 10-19-2020 07:11 PM

Question ????

How Many People Are carrying A Fire Exthinguisher in Their Model A ? Have you ever had to use it or needed it and did not have one?

gary678* 10-19-2020 07:16 PM

Re: Question ????

Everyone I know carries one as I do; definitely an IMPORTANT practice. One of our most knowledgeable club members had a motor fire during a Fourth of July parade...DON"T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

John Dayhuff 10-19-2020 07:18 PM

I plan on putting it on my xmas list for sure this year, been meaning to the last two years.

Dougs 28 10-19-2020 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one in the A, An Element style fire extinguisher, I also have one in each one of my cars, not only for me but also for anyone that might need help on the side of the road that might need help putting out a fire. You can check them out on YouTube, just put in Element fire extinguishers and you’ll get a video. Their small and compact and last longer than a co2 extinguisher...

McMimmcs 10-19-2020 08:24 PM

As a business owner I was always wondering what to donate as prizes for car shows. About 5 years ago I decided to donate fire extinguishers. The recipients are very appreciative.

SteveB31 10-19-2020 08:26 PM

I carry them in every car I own. I have put out 5 car fires over the years.....

DBrer 10-19-2020 08:56 PM

I also carry one in our 29 Tudor.

redmodelt 10-19-2020 09:11 PM

In our Model T club, we are required to have one in the car to go on tours. Most of course are under the seat, which would be next to impossible to get to when needed. :(

PalAl 10-19-2020 09:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is some information that was put out to the members of the Rock-Ford-A's
and an article from the Restorer, for something this important I don't think they would mind that we are sharing the information. Good point to consider, if your not a member of MARC, MAFCA and MAFFI JOIN... they publish endless information for this great hobby. Perhaps all this information will help you decide what will be best for your situation.

Big hammer 10-20-2020 08:12 AM

One night along time ago, I stopped a car that was on fire, got the older man out. I trucker stopped and with his fire extinguisher we tried to put it out. The fire at the fuel pump (gm car ) just got angry at us, the trucker said we are going to need a bigger extinguisher. The car was a complete loss, when the fire reached the fuel tank the fire just grew, didn't explode like in the movies.

When the tires caught on fire.........they exploded like a grenade .......stand way back from cars on fire !!!

Jim/GA 10-20-2020 10:09 AM

I carry one or two 5 lb. Halon extinguishers in my cars. This gas puts out the fire without spraying corrosive salts powder all over the car. The dry powder extinguishers create as big a mess as the fire.

Halon is not cheap. But neither is cleaning up the powder mess.

denniskliesen 10-20-2020 10:39 AM

I carry a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.

Tacoma Bob 10-20-2020 10:44 AM

Halon here as well.

Ruth 10-20-2020 11:01 AM

I have a Halon also. No mess.

Y-Blockhead 10-20-2020 11:45 AM

Do they even sell Halon extinguishers anymore? I have a Halotron in my trunk. Marked and easily accessible. I also carry a First Aid Kit.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4778/3...6e6000b0e1.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b2595ab0a3.jpg

Greg Jones 10-20-2020 11:49 AM

Here is some information that was put out to the members of the Rock-Ford-A's
and an article from the Restorer, for something this important I don't think they would mind that we are sharing the information. Good point to consider, if your not a member of MARC, MAFCA and MAFFI JOIN... they publish endless information for this great hobby. Perhaps all this information will help you decide what will be best for your situation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Everything About Fire Ext..pdf (189.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf The 2018 Touring Season has finally arrived here in the Midwest.pdf (759.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Fire Ext. Model A 1.pdf (649.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Fire Ext. Model A 2.pdf (502.8 KB, 13 views)

Hah! My friend, Eric Shogren, who wrote one of the articles above, was just at my place this morning picking up a tool to do some Model A brake work. Eric is a professional Fire Protection Engineer. Always have a fire extinguisher handy with these old cars!

jrelliott 10-20-2020 11:59 AM

I always carry one in every car. Never had to use them. Also verify the status frequently to be sure they are still charged and ready to use. Nothing like needing one and not working!

Patrick L. 10-20-2020 12:01 PM

Yep, in each vehicle, motorbikes, airplane, house and shop. Have not had to use them.
This reminds to look at the dates.

ryanheacox 10-20-2020 12:02 PM

Always carry one. Never needed one for the A yet. Only car fire I've had was a small electrical fire in my Jeep. Had an extinguisher handy for that one too. Cleaning up the dry chemical was a pain but I'd rather do that than lose a vehicle.

Don S 10-20-2020 01:55 PM

Also remember to check them often. The gauge can show full pressure but the powder inside is packed in the bottom and would be useless. I found that out when I took an extinguisher to the fire department near me. They suggested to shake them vigorously every couple of months, and replace them every 3 years or less.
Don