The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A car names (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152570)

Mitch//pa 10-20-2014 01:18 PM

Model A car names

i thought it might be interesting to discuss what determined how we named our cars.

TerryH 10-20-2014 01:23 PM

Re: Model A car names

My Model A, Emma, is named after both of my wives grandmothers, and they both had the same middle name.... Elizabeth.

CarlG 10-20-2014 01:43 PM

Back in the (dark) ages, I built a (4) computer network system for my Wife's classroom at school for the students to use. When she found out that the various computer "names" were old girlfriends, she wasn't very pleased with that.

Therefore, my Model A remains un-named.

davehc 10-20-2014 01:52 PM

We call our "A" , " Betty " , after Betty Boop who has always been one of my favorite cartoons .

TonyM 10-20-2014 01:54 PM

Never named any of my cars.

Nabco 10-20-2014 02:36 PM

Our 30 Coupe is names "Sister" because it has always been part of my wife's family.

Barber31 10-20-2014 02:50 PM

I named mine Norah D when I purchased her but my boys and family all call her old Stanley. They got the name from the movie "Cars". The car named Stanley in the movie is actually a Model T but they don't care so Stanley it is. And sometimes Norah D.

darrylkmc 10-20-2014 02:51 PM

I do not name my Model A's, per se, however my 1931 AA was purchased from the Kirby Company of Fairbanks, Electric Vaccum (SP) Sweepers since 1906.

Vacuum was actually misspelled on the lettering on both doors and I painted over the whole mess.

It is known locally as the Kirby truck.

Darryl in Fairbanks

hardtimes 10-20-2014 03:11 PM

My wife named my/our '30 roadster...The Ugly Duck...I just call her the Duck! She warned me NOT to drive this A, until it was 'finished'. She knew/stated that if I started to drive it, that IT would never be finished and become a 'beautiful swan' ! Ha, when it fired first time, she was right :) !
I'm a 'driver' who tried the restorer thing and know a bit about chassis/drive train. But, having had pretty, and not caring about pretty, the Duck will stay !! She is fun to run/work with as grease/dirt/nicks don't matter a whit :rolleyes:

BTW...SHE only ever rode in the Duck one time. And , that was to go to a nearby swap meet at a nearby Boys Home. Jay Leno pulled up next to me , while we were going to park and smiling..said 'nice ride'. He was in his latest acquisition..dark green Duesy !
I thot that that would impress HER, so that she would like Duck to be Swan....nope !!!

mrraford 10-20-2014 03:15 PM

My first A was a vagabond green 29 tudor. She told me her name was Belle. Seemed to fit and that was her name until the day she left our garage.
The pickup truck mumbles something occasionally but I haven't made out what he's saying. My granddaughter refers to it as Papa's Tickup Truck.

mshmodela 10-20-2014 03:26 PM

Named my Ms. Daisy... I guess when I looked at the car, I got a sense of very older Lady and the film "Driving Ms. Daisy" came to mind to I when with it...

mshmodela 10-20-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 965728)
i thought it might be interesting to discuss what determined how we named our cars. i guess many would be named after a relative or such that had passed..

my first tudor is named Paul after my dad who passed when i was 10. He had a model A and i remember us as a family driving around in it. his car now is in the hands of my brother in pieces and will never be put back together. my mom gave him custody of it because he was older than me . as it turned out later in life i became the car guy and would have restored it in his name. instead i went and bought a car and redid it then named it after him. my brother refuses to depart with it, you know how the rest of the story goes:mad:

my second tudor is named Lucy because after we purchased her everything you touched was left LOOSE. just about every bolt was falling out... :)

Mitch, sorry to read of your late Father's Model A. I'm sure he's very happy at your work on Model A's. At some point the car that was your Father's will find a new home and I hope it is with you...

mccsix 10-20-2014 03:34 PM

The unsinkable Molly Brown or Molly B for short...nothing keeps her down,

Y-Blockhead 10-20-2014 03:40 PM

We just call our '30 Town Sedan "The A" or "Old Girl" as in "You can expect any 84 year Old Girl to leak a little".:rolleyes:

whirnot 10-20-2014 03:51 PM

We named our roadster Mae. Seemed to make sense, Mae, the model A.

After a while we realized we really needed a closed car for when it got colder, and I thought maybe she would let me have another one, so maybe became Bea, when we got our Town Sedan.

We considered a pickup as well, but found a late model (1951) that is probably more practical. It was known all over the town I bought it in, as the Red Truck, It will remain the Red Truck.

Wello 10-20-2014 04:04 PM

Eunice.

Joe K 10-20-2014 04:24 PM

Bessie.

Joe K

raprice22 10-20-2014 04:24 PM

We just call our car the "A". Nothing fancy here.
Rog

Dtolson 10-20-2014 07:37 PM

My grandson named mine Thomas the Truck

crock 10-20-2014 07:52 PM

Named mine problem child, because about every thing i did to it was usually a problem.