The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The new Burtz Mosel A engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296176)

Jim Brierley 03-21-2021 04:37 PM

The new Burtz Mosel A engine

Yesterday I was pleased to be invited to a seminar on Terry's new engine. I didn't take a head count but there must have been about 25-30 guys there. It was hosted by Richard Parrish in Anaheim, CA. I was asked to talk about and compare the A and the B engines, Richard had one of each on display. I wish Richard had shown the new engine earlier, although it was a better build-up saving it for last. Showing it earlier would have lead me to talk about how improved the new engine is compared the originals. The crank is a thing of beauty, and the 5 mains and larger bearings will add to the engines in several ways, the rigidity stabilizes it, and making it more rigid saves on bearing wear by eliminating flexing, which also helps the rear flange, a problem when racing these engines. I'll need to study how a filter is utilized, I believe in filters, and will want to put one on my new engine. The rods look to be much stronger than stockers, but I have never had a problem with stock rods, it is good to know that they are forged. I'll probably run a V8 oil pump but the new engine will likely not leak as much oil internally as a stock engine, so the stock pump will probably be enough? The new engine also is set up for 5 cam bearings, but an original 3-bearing cam cam also be used. It was a great day indeed!!!

I started this as a new thread because the older one is 7 pages long, and had gotten a bit diversified.

Lawrie 03-21-2021 05:56 PM

Re: The new Burtz Mosel A engine

Jim , I,m in the process of making 7 oil filter kits for the new engine, I will post some pics later today.
An easy job, specially if you have a lathe.
I even used some old ford stuff to make it, the special bolt on the timing cover where the clean oil goes backing the engine, I made from an old Model A driveshaft.
Lawrie

SteveB31 03-21-2021 07:22 PM

I had to opportunity last fall to be the test guy for this engine. After in shop testing we put it in my coupe, which has a very strong engine in it already.

Due to the crankshaft design, the torque was amazing. My coupe ran so good In the mountains that I did not want to take it out and give it back to Terry.

Looking forward to building a bunch of these this summer.

Steve @ Bert’s

CarlG 03-21-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveB31 (Post 1998782)
I had to opportunity last fall to be the test guy for this engine. After in shop testing we put it in my coupe, which has a very strong engine in it already.

Due to the crankshaft design, the torque was amazing. My coupe ran so good In the mountains that I did not want to take it out and give it back to Terry.

Steve @ Bert’s

What head did you use on your test?

GeneBob 03-21-2021 10:22 PM

I would like to build one of these.
Jim Brierley, I was thinking of going with a Bill Stipe oil pump to ensure sufficient oil volume to run an oil filter with full pressure to the bearings.
Carl, as far as the head, after building this engine up, I would want to run the best performance head I could afford.

Jim Brierley 03-22-2021 12:49 PM

GeneBob, Stipe does nice work. I'll probably run a modified '49-'53 V8 pump, using an adapter built by John Nielson, a sometime contributor on this forum. Terry says the A pump will do the job, and maybe so because his engine is built for pressure so doesn't have all the leak-points the stock engine has. I'll also run a filter a full-flow filter, it'll be nice to see what Laurie comes up with. I don't know how many engines Terry has sold, but the first 300 are all spoken for and he has more on order.

Lawrie 03-22-2021 04:04 PM

Jim, look at my post on the other new engine post.
Lawrie

Russ/40 03-22-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1998999)
GeneBob, Stipe does nice work. I'll probably run a modified '49-'53 V8 pump, using an adapter built by John Nielson, a sometime contributor on this forum. Terry says the A pump will do the job, and maybe so because his engine is built for pressure so doesn't have all the leak-points the stock engine has. I'll also run a filter a full-flow filter, it'll be nice to see what Laurie comes up with. I don't know how many engines Terry has sold, but the first 300 are all spoken for and he has more on order.

Jim, can you give me the particulars on the adapter John Nielson has for the V8 pump in the A block please?

nomadpsd 03-23-2021 08:26 AM

John has posted some pictures of his pump modification on the HAMB.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...1222658/page-5

Russ/40 03-23-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadpsd (Post 1999297)
John has posted some pictures of his pump modification on the HAMB.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...1222658/page-5

Thanks, got 'em

Chuck Sea/Tac 03-23-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveB31 (Post 1998782)

Steve @ Bert’s

What is it regarding the crank that gives more torque? Is a longer throw?

California Travieso 03-23-2021 08:00 PM

I’m on the list to receive an engine kit in the second shipment in June. I’d be be interested to hear what other peripherals you guys plan to install, e.g., heads, Cams, intake & exhaust manifolds, carbs, etc., as well as, mufflers.

It would also be interesting to see videos of the completed engines and to hear them running.

David Serrano

Chris Haynes 03-23-2021 10:31 PM

Joe at Turlock Machine makes a billet oil pump using Small Block Chevy gears and valves.

updraught 03-24-2021 05:59 AM

Macs has the Mellings gears on sale

https://www.macsautoparts.com/model-...8-28451-1.html

Jim Brierley 03-24-2021 11:43 AM

Chuck, I doubt if the Burtz crank produces more torque, they are the same stroke. The port design may help, and some engines just run better for no apparent reason. The 5 mains will stabilize the crank, which will help in several other ways, including longevity.

johnneilson 03-24-2021 02:31 PM

More than likely it was a lighter flywheel that gave the impression of more torque

Also, the Mell k 18 gear set is the model a set
The k 19 is the v8 pump set

J

Terry Burtz, Calif 03-24-2021 03:18 PM

As Jim says, the "New" engine has the same stroke as stock.

The intake ports of the new cylinder block are the same larger size (1.50-inch diameter) as a Model B engine, and the intake passages of the new cylinder block have been streamlined and straightened by reducing the total number of bends. In the new design cylinder block, the intake charge flows into the intake port, and then makes an immediate horizontal 45 degree turn either left or right, and then a 90-degree vertical turn to get to the underside of the intake valve (total angular change is 135 degrees). The intake port in a stock Model A or B engine continues straight for a short distance before making the turn towards the valve (total angular change is greater than 135 degrees).

Pete 03-25-2021 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the Dan Price oil pump for a wet sump engine. It has a built in adjustable, calibrated by-pass valve. No mods needed to install.

Dave in MN 03-25-2021 08:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just opened my engine kit that arrived today. Pretty impressive casting and machining. I only checked the cylinders so far and they are .0043" larger than the solid skirt pistons I plan to use. I just glanced at the crankshaft and rods. They look just as good as the block. Good stuff! Thanks Terry!
Good Day!

hardtimes 03-25-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnneilson (Post 1999788)
More than likely it was a lighter flywheel that gave the impression of more torque

Also, the Mell k 18 gear set is the model a set
The k 19 is the v8 pump set

J

Hey J,
You’re correct!
The flywheel is a 30 lb. It is what is sold with the engine kit. Said to be balanced to the crank set up.