The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Zenith Carb (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9625)

Domino 08-02-2010 08:13 PM

New Zenith Carb

I am in need of another carb for the tudor (runs great withthe carb off another A) and am debating whether to put a kit in the tilly or purchase another carborator. The one shown below is under consideration. Has anyone purchased one of these and is willing to share their feelings about it? It's for a driver so appearance is not of importance to me.

As always - thanks in advance.

Automotive - Industrial - Tools - Accessories
1-800-255-8378 On-line Warehouse - Discount Prices https://id408.van.ca.siteprotect.com...edit_cards.gif
HomeGuaranteeAbout Us ContactEmail
http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...mui/blades.gif http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...i/storfrnt.gif http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...ui/account.gif http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...mui/search.gif http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...i/prodlist.gif http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...mui/basket.gif http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...i/checkout.gif Shop Equipment
Air Conditioning
*AC Diagnostics *
Books-CD's-Databases
Brake / Transmission/ Steering
Battery Chargers
Battery & Charging System Testers
Cooling System
Demo-Used-Surplus Equipment Sale
Emission Analyzers
Engine Test / Service
Fuel System / Fuel Injection
Automotive High Performance Products
Multimeters and Accessories
Measurement
MityVac Products and Mity Vac Accessories
Marvel Schebler Carburetor
Oscilloscopes & Graphing Multimeters
Pertronix Ignition and Pertronix Ignition Systems
* Scales *
Scan Tools
Timing Lights
Test Leads and Test Accessories
Temperature Testers
Tractor / Truck / Diesel
Test Accessories / Unique Equipment
Zenith Carburetors
TurboChargers
Zenith 13922 Carburetor for Ford Model A http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2...0001/13922.jpg Quantity in Basket: none
Code: ZEN13922
Price: $209.95
Shipping Weight: 5.00 pounds
Quantity: Ford Model A Carburetor, new Zenith 13922 Carburetor. Replacement carburetor for Ford Model A (1928-1931) 185 to 200 cubic in. engines. Made in USA. 1 year warranty.

Jordan 08-02-2010 08:18 PM

Re: New Zenith Carb

I have this carb on my '30 town sedan and LOVE it. Perfect for any driver and very reliable. No its not original looking, but neither is a tilly which alot of people run. You will notice a big difference after putting this carb on.

Art Bjornestad 08-02-2010 09:31 PM

There is no GAV, I guess this carb doesn't need one?? What does one do about a choke linkage? I would rebuild the Tilly,

JtownJoe 08-02-2010 09:52 PM

I have one on my 30 Tudor, have been running it for about 4 months & can't say enough about the performance! There is no GAV needed & the choke works just as original with stock GAV rod. Only complaint is about 2 to 3 miles per gallon less than my Tilly, but worth every penny. Joe in PA

steve s 08-02-2010 10:01 PM

A friend in our club bought one and loves it. I bought one but haven't put it on yet.

The choke rod works as usual for choking, but no rotation for GAV adjust. Somehow, a one-time, or occasional, setting of that T-valve on the lower front gives you a one-richness-fits-all arrangement that seems to work just fine. FWIW, in an earlier thread on this carb, someone said that this kind of valve relied on smaller, more easily plugged, fuel passage than in our other options. Be all that as it may, all of the reviews from folks who had ACTUALLY used it were positive to raving.

Steve

azmodela 08-02-2010 10:08 PM

Do you have a Model A or a forklift? If you've got a forklift, run the carb you posted about...

Mike V. Florida 08-02-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 54975)
I am in need of another carb for the tudor (runs great withthe carb off another A) and am debating whether to put a kit in the tilly or purchase another carborator. The one shown below is under consideration. Has anyone purchased one of these and is willing to share their feelings about it? It's for a driver so appearance is not of importance to me.

As always - thanks in advance.

Frankenstein has risen from the Old fordbarn to once again pit purists against drivers.

I have the link to the old Fordbarn but I won't post it.

To sum up what was said in the old post, The new carb does work with the A. Many stated that it worked better then the one on their car.

Others noted that dyno test showed that these produced less horsepower then original properly rebuilt Carbs. It was also noted that the cost to have the original carb built by an experienced rebuilder is about the same as this carb.

Chris in CT 08-03-2010 08:19 AM

Hi Domino, I'm afraid that I will have to really mess things up here. I am running a NEW Zenith Fuel Systems #14991 carb on my '29 roadster driver and have been for 3 years now. Its is slightly larger than the 12932 you have above, and is atmospherically balanced, meaning, among other things, that you can run a modern air cleaner on it without losing gas milage or affecting gas/air mixture, etc. The choke and throttle linkages fall into place, and will require about an hour or two to modify to use original choke rod and throttle connections. Once done, you will be able to switch between your new Zenith and original equipment in five minutes if you so desire.
The best gas milage I was able to get with the tuned up original equipment was 18.5 mpg. The milage I get with the new Zenith is 18.5 mpg. The power curve over the entire engine range is much smoother than the original, and I can't say enough about how evenly the engine runs. One drawback is that you do not get that nice little choke rod hookup I see in the picture of your 13922 - you would have to make your own, as I did on mine.
If you are planning on doing this, I recommend that you look into the model 14991.
Happy Motoring!

Eighty 08-03-2010 08:52 AM

Domino, Have been running new Zenith carb on my 30 dr sedan for the last 3 month, have run it for over 1200 mile. I really like it both from idle to road speed (45-50 mph).As for mileage, around 18 is consistent. I to use my car as a driver. More interest in performance that looks. At least I replaced Zenith with Zenith!

Eighty

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-03-2010 09:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I think it has more to do whether you need the additional carburetion on your engine that determines whether the carb with perform to your expectations. I think it is on Dennis Piranio's site where he did some dyno testing with a "tour engine" and lost some power with it. Based on most of the engines that come out of my shop, it would be going in the wrong direction.

On the engine pictured below, it is a .125 overbore with inserts in the rods & CW crank, a Stipe 335 camshaft, bored intake manifold, O/S intake valves, modified hi-comp. head, electronic ign, oversized intake manifold, and a new prototype stainless exhaust system built by Borla Exhaust. What we have found is a pro-rebuilt Zenith nor the new 'blueprinted' Zenith carb manufactured by MARK will not flow enough fuel & air to supply this typical engine's needs. It is really lean in the higher RPM range and is giving up horsepower. A rebuilt Model B carb that has larger venturis is the minimum that is needed to compensate, and Bill Stipe's dyno testing has also confirmed basically the same thing with that type of combination.

Most of my customers want an 'A' engine where they can run a freeway speeds (60+ mph) comfortably yet still maintain a reasonably stock appearance. For now, using the Model B carb. meets that need but maybe the larger forklift carb Chris speaks of is a viable option. To me, these newer carbs might be "less offensive" looking if it were detailed with flat-black paint and looked more "era" without all the cad irradating on the body and screws.

Ron/IA 08-03-2010 10:01 AM

I noticed the #14991 Zenith carburetor is used on Minneapolis-Moline tractors (of which I am a restorer). Those engines are of larger displacement, and is probably why it has better performance on the A engine than the # 13992.

Jordan 08-03-2010 01:09 PM

My grandpa has been in the model a hobby for 52 years, and he always ran a stock zeneith carberator until last summer. He had zeneiths that would run great for 20 years, and he had some that he was constantly having to work on. And he knows how to work on the carbs. He tells all of his buddies they need this carb for trouble free tourign. The rebuild kits for original carbs aren't exactly right, and the jets are too big in diamater so unless you have original jets, it just isn't going to run exactly right. For the money, this carb is your best option, and best for performance. I can think of atleast 20 cars in the DFW area that are running this carberator, and have never had a problem. As for performance, i can do 55 mph with about half a pedal.

Logan 08-03-2010 02:04 PM

This carb, is the only carb i would ever run on a stock manifold. It is well worth the money. You will not be dissapointed. The only carb i like better than this is the weber 2 barrel wich i run also. But this is less than half the price of the weber, and its litterally a 10 minute bolt on application. Unless you get the bigger throat one like chris is talking about, which i have heard about, but never seen anybody use one. I say buy it and try it out. If you dont like it, let me know, im always looking for another one. But the T handle is the new GAV. Just rev it to high RPM in the drive way and get it where it sounds good then drive it and see what it does. You might have to adjust it a little, but once its set you never have to mess with it again.

roccaas 08-03-2010 07:22 PM

Does this carb have any problems with shutting off the engine in a panic stop or in hot humid weather? I've got more hot/humid than panic, but this original Zenith is getting a little testy.

Logan 08-03-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccaas (Post 55539)
Does this carb have any problems with shutting off the engine in a panic stop or in hot humid weather? I've got more hot/humid than panic, but this original Zenith is getting a little testy.

Not at all. We just got back from a tour we call hotter than hell tour. Average temp was around 102 and u bet it was humid also. The car never died, and the car ran around 180-185 all 3 days. And being tour leader we made our fair share of panic stops so we didn't leave the group.

gtrob2003 11-18-2010 05:36 PM

What settings do you guys use for all the settings on this carb? :confused: I'm trying to set everything correct, but my car is running really hot with all the 'original' carb settings. What are the float settings, idle settings and GAV setting?

THANKS!!!!

Buddy P. 11-18-2010 06:09 PM

I'm using one of those and am having no problems with it.It's on a '29
open cab pick-up.Setting the adjustments may take several trys but
when you get them right it's a fine carb.KI4BR,Bud

steve s 11-18-2010 06:29 PM

I have now installed mine. It runs great. My hot idle and stalling on hard stop problems seem to be gone. My only disappointment is the noise; it's much louder than the Zenith 1. And, there's not enough of a throat to hook an air filter to to quiet it down.

Steve

J Franklin 11-18-2010 06:45 PM

Use a motorcycle carburetor filter.

steve s 11-18-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 114055)
Use a motorcycle carburetor filter.

How? any details? I've looked.

Steve