The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Directionals (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293333)

tinman7 01-21-2021 08:06 PM

Directionals

Having trouble with my blinkers
. Installed new unit on the steering wheel and it works well when the car is not running have leds on the front bumpers and less in the rear tail lites and a led bar in the back window. Any Ideas why they won't blink when I run the car, they light and I can manually make them work but the flasher won't go?

dbaldwi3 01-21-2021 08:48 PM

Re: Directionals

Do you have the correct flasher? You must use an led flasher for the proper operation.

Ordsgt 01-21-2021 08:58 PM

some LED lights have a resister built into them so a regular flasher will work, that is the type in my A. If you have a combination of LED without resister and regular flasher it will not work. When your car is not running will the flashers work?

shew01 01-22-2021 05:26 AM

Directionals

I had the same problem because I was using a thermal flasher. LED lights draw less current; so, there is not enough draw to trigger a thermal flasher. I tried some LED flashers, which worked great when the engine was off, but they went nuts with the engine running (because of the static generated by the engine).

This is what worked the best for me. My Signal Stat 900 pilot light does not work, but the signals blink fine with the motor running and with it stopped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-IDEAL-6....m46890.l49292

Or, you can try adding load resistors to the circuit.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick L. 01-22-2021 07:35 AM

There is a lot of info in the archives/search.

Plus more info is needed such as voltage and ground.

eagle 01-22-2021 09:12 AM

If they work fine with the engine off, then its likely an issue with the noisy electrical system on the Model A. Get a dc noise filter from ebay or amazon and put it ahead of the flasher. Make sure it has a good clean ground or it won't do much good. Browning makes a pretty decent one

CarlG 01-22-2021 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My set up: Signal Stat 900, 12-Volt Neg ground, all LED fixtures.

After trying all the usual flashers, including "electronic" ones, none worked satisfactorily due to all the reasons already discussed.

This flasher, however, works perfectly.

Y-Blockhead 01-22-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1976797)
My set up: Signal Stat 900, 12-Volt Neg ground, all LED fixtures.

After trying all the usual flashers, including "electronic" ones, none worked satisfactorily due to all the reasons already discussed.

This flasher, however, works perfectly.

Carl, I have that same flasher. When it works it works good. However I have had two burn out in the last 2-3 years, this last one has ~6months on it so far...

Jerry in Shasta 01-22-2021 01:02 PM

Make sure the switch on the steering column is well grounded.
JB

tinman7 01-22-2021 09:32 PM

Got it working! Needed two Resistors and a non electronic flasher. This was a 12 volt led system.

shew01 01-23-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinman7 (Post 1977018)
Got it working! Needed two Resistors and a non electronic flasher. This was a 12 volt led system.

Good for you! I love that “rush” when something finally works. :-)

Stew 01-24-2021 12:02 AM

Try this flasher. It is made for LED's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-Prong...UAAOSwPMle5m4K

CarlG 01-24-2021 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew (Post 1977381)
Try this flasher. It is made for LED's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-Prong...UAAOSwPMle5m4K

When I tried that one, it worked perfectly -- until I started the engine. It would not work at all with the engine running, Worked OK with the engine off.

shew01 01-24-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1977390)
When I tried that one, it worked perfectly -- until I started the engine. It would not work at all with the engine running, Worked OK with the engine off.

I had the same experience with it.

GeneBob 01-25-2021 12:43 AM

I fought the LED bulbs vs turn signal flasher for awhile. I finally added a brake light socket tied to my steering column with the left turn signal going through one of the bulb filaments and the right turn signal going through the other. The separate bulb contacts and filaments prevent cross talk in the turn signals. This added sufficient resistance to the circuit for the thermal flasher to function and lights up under the dash so I will not forget to cancel my turn signals. Kinda silly, but it worked.

shew01 01-25-2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneBob (Post 1977736)
I fought the LED bulbs vs turn signal flasher for awhile. I finally added a brake light socket tied to my steering column with the left turn signal going through one of the bulb filaments and the right turn signal going through the other. The separate bulb contacts and filaments prevent cross talk in the turn signals. This added sufficient resistance to the circuit for the thermal flasher to function and lights up under the dash so I will not forget to cancel my turn signals. Kinda silly, but it worked.

That’s similar to the way the my car’s previous owner wired my car. He used a plain bulb in place of the dash light, and he had two wires (one for each tail light circuit) connected so that the dash light would flash every time the signal toggle was turned on. It worked great in the day, but it was annoying during the night (because of the placement of the bulb).

Dan McEachern 01-28-2021 01:07 PM

What value resistor and how did you wire it in with the tail light bulb?