The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Loud Exhaust (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232004)

Bill in NJ 10-26-2017 09:34 AM

Loud Exhaust

I have the typical exhaust leak between the manifold and connection to pipe. Should I apply to the tail pipe only or also onto the manifold connection to tail pipe ?? Thanks in advance !

WHN 10-26-2017 09:43 AM

Re: Loud Exhaust

We use the exhaust gasket wrap it’s like asbestos. Never had a leak after using. Sold by most suppliers. Enjoy.

Licensed to kill 10-26-2017 09:46 AM

When I got my car about month ago, it was leaking there as well. Upon inspection, I found that the tailpipe clamp was positioned on TOP of the lower frame rail and this put the angle of the flange off so it didn't meet the manifold square. I moved the clamp to the bottom of the lower frame rail and the flange mated perfectly with the manifold, no more leak there. I had a broken intake manifold and the #4 exhaust port wouldn't seal to the block so I purchased a set of manifolds from "Bert's". When installing the new manifolds I found that the flange on the pipe no longer mated to the manifold correctly. I moved the tail pipe clamp back to being on top of the lower frame rail and it mated up perfectly. How I actually did it was to undo the tail pile clamp completely and have my wife hold the muffler/pipe assembly up and had her hold it in a position where the manifold to pipe clamp went on without resistance to ensure a perfect seal, than after tightening that clamp, then went back and positioned the tail pipe clamp to hold up the pipe. Perfect seal.

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-26-2017 10:19 AM

I use that extension/connector pipe & a bead of exhaust sealer, inside the flange.
Bill Quiet

glenn in camino 10-26-2017 10:35 AM

Spend some time on the flange with a hammer and dolly to make the flange fit the manifold better. I still use the piece that fits inside the manifold and exhaust pipe.

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-26-2017 06:00 PM

GREASE the inside of the clamp & tap on it, as you tighten & re-tighten it. Be sure to re-tighten it, after a few days & DON'T buy the CHEEPIE clamp.
Bill Cheepattimes

1crosscut 10-26-2017 09:45 PM

Pull it apart and clean both mating surfaces well checking for imperfections.
Sometimes the reproduction pipes need a bit of tweak to the bend of the pipe for it to line up just right.

With the rear tail pipe clamp loose use a hydraulic jack to gently raise the muffler pipe up to the manifold getting it lined up just right. Then carefully lower the muffler down just enough to apply a thin bead of muffler cement to the muffler. Jack the muffler back into place and tighten the clamp. Allow to dry for a bit and all should be good. Having two people really helps with this project.