The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nu-Rex popout look alike ignition switch (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285934)

Flop 08-21-2020 07:57 AM

Nu-Rex popout look alike ignition switch

Went to take my 28 leather back out and smoke starts coming out of the dash . Took dash apart nothing was fried but car wouldn’t start . Hot wired the switch and the car instantly starts . Made in China ignition switch let all its magic smoke out . Has anyone used a nu Rex switch ? Seems they are made in Akron Ohio .
Thanks guys !

https://www.nurex.com/pop-out-ignition-switch

redmodelt 08-21-2020 08:30 AM

Re: Nu-Rex popout look alike ignition switch

I can't say for sure the ones that Snyder's sells are Nu-Rex, but we have used them (the ones Snyder's sells) with no reported issues.

Ruth 08-21-2020 09:20 AM

It does say in Snyder's catalog that their ignition switch is a "Genuine Nu-Rex".

Which brings up something I wish the vendors would do more often is state who the manufacturer is on a part so I can determine if I want to buy it or not.

There are some good manufacturers and there are some not so good ones that I try to avoid and will return if received.

Nu-Rex makes an ignition switch with an accessory terminal that may be a solution to a question in another thread.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-21-2020 09:51 AM

Flop, -good to see you back man!! Post up some pix of what you are working on!!

I would venture a guess the Ammeter is what is faulty. As for the Nu-Rex switch, they are very good quality. You won't go wrong with one of those.

w.michael 08-21-2020 09:58 AM

I have used the Nu-Rex switch for several years now with no problem. Looks good in the instrument panel, very similar to the original pop-out. I've had problems in the past with several of the cheaper switches; the Nu-Rex is worth the higher price.

Glad to see you posting again, Flop.

W. Michael

Jim/GA 08-21-2020 10:15 AM

Yes, the Nu-Rex switch is good. Very well made.

On some old reproduction instrument panels, the back of the switch contacts the gas tank because the shape of the panel is wrong. This is clearly not good. :eek:

The Nu-Rex switch has a mounting collar held by a very small set screw. You can loosen the set screw and turn the mounting collar 1/2 turn or 1 turn or whatever you need to have the switch not contact the gas tank, then tighten the set screw back up and carry on. I like this adjustability that is built in. ;)

I also put a couple of strips of electrical tape on the gas tank behind where the switch will mount, as added protection against the switch contacts touching. No one sees the tape.

:cool:

Flop 08-21-2020 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys !! Brent working now on our farm house from the 1880s moved out of the city to the country . 7 acres now a 6k sq foot pole building etc etc .Haven’t worked on a car in about a year . Hopefully it will be fun again once I start messing with them again . I was burned out . That’s my 28 leatherback

Flop 08-21-2020 10:29 AM

Brent ...also does anyone make a good ammeter ?

Jim/GA 08-21-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flop (Post 1922474)
Brent ...also does anyone make a good ammeter ?

I'm not Brent, but...

Not reproduction. You need to get a restored original.

Thankfully they are available.

Flop 08-21-2020 10:51 AM

Thanks Jim !! I’ll have to start looking for an original !

SteveB31 08-21-2020 09:14 PM

They are made in Mexico, but work great.

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-21-2020 10:14 PM

Flop: nice lookin car

Bob-A 08-22-2020 06:48 AM

On some old reproduction instrument panels, the back of the switch contacts the gas tank because the shape of the panel is wrong. This is clearly not good. :eek: Quote from Jim/GA

I switched to one of the uncommon brass made original Ford "A" 30-31 gauge panels. They are shallower then the steel ones and this has caused a lot of problems using the Nu-Rex popout switch. I've taped everything: the back of the switch, the gas tank, etc. I still get a short in the ignition if I tighten the top left gauge panel screw to tight.:eek::confused::(

Bob-A;)