The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pickup Leg Room Needed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283620)

KenBolton 07-05-2020 02:21 PM

Pickup Leg Room Needed

I am six three, 220 lbs and 67 years young. I have shortened the brake and clutch peddles by 3/4” but still have a challenge getting into my 82-B with no seat installed. Touring Standards don’t like foam on plywood. What other options are available? Would the Snyder minus two inch springs make enough of a difference?

ed thibodeau 07-05-2020 05:20 PM

Re: Pickup Leg Room Needed

On my 31 I removed the seat back spring and put in a piece of 1/4 plywood
with a piece of one inch foam rubber and tacked the upholstery to the plywood
this gave me an additional 3 1/2 inches. And I changed the forward stop blocks
on the seat bottom and moved it back.

PRG999 07-06-2020 11:35 AM

On my pickup, i also removed the seat back as above. I also took the seat springs and compressed them about an inch or so and held with zip ties. I would some day like to try the suppliers lower seat springs. The zip tied springs sometimes get a bit to hard to sit on.
I have to admit with those two changes theres a whole lot of room in the cab now.

woofa.express 07-06-2020 12:02 PM

On my ute I pushed the seat rearwards to the bulk head and that allowed me to cut the seat frame back about 3 inches. I then replaced the seat back with ply covered with a thin piece of foam. Still not easy but never the less much better to enter and climb out. On my tourer I removed the rear row of seat springs and that allowed me to cut about 5 or 6 inches off the seat frame. I still may replace the seat back springs with a piece of foam. The front is cramped but there is enough room in the back seat to carry 15 sheep and 3 dogs.

30 Closed Cab PU 07-06-2020 12:47 PM

At 6 ft 230 lbs, I find that getting in and out of my late 30 Closed cab takes a method, but OK. I use a towel or blanket on the seat so I can slide/turn a lot easier getting in and out. At 6 ft 3 not exactly your issue, but maybe will help.

Brentwood Bob 07-07-2020 10:25 AM

Woofa, your dogs must be smallish.

woofa.express 07-07-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1906844)

I'll weigh him (it) and post a picture for you Brentwood Bob. It's (got squeeky bark) a working dog and not permitted in house or motor cars with exception of the A ute and Toyota ute.

Synchro909 07-07-2020 07:18 PM

There was a company here that produced cabs for P/Us with an extension built into them. I don't remember how much they extended the cab but it doesn't matter - they don't do it now. I believe there wasn't the market for them.

woofa.express 07-09-2020 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1906844)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txiR7oEVGd0

that should amuse you Bob. the main star looks like a Kelpie X Blue Healer. I'll check YouTube for a kelpie running across the sheep. cheers, gary

bosstime2 07-09-2020 09:55 AM

Best thing I did: from the passenger side heat up the bottom of the shift lever with a torch until it’s red hot and slowly pull the shift knob towards the passenger side. A slight bend will do wonders for leg room

Ray in La Mesa 07-09-2020 10:09 AM

Brookville Roadster makes an extended open cab for the A pickup but they lengthened the cab in the rear 1/4 panel behind the door, not the door. If they lengthened it in the door it would be easier to enter & exit.

KenBolton 07-09-2020 11:49 AM

Yup, I bent the shifter to the right too. Thanks for all the input!

woofa.express 07-09-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenBolton (Post 1907505)
Yup, I bent the shifter to the right too. Thanks for all the input!

No. Not if you are in Aus.