The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Water Pump (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204649)

jwaldrich 09-14-2016 03:27 PM

Water Pump

Bought my 29 A Sport Coupe already rebuilt. I now have a fairly hefty leak at the aft end of the water pump shaft.

Read what I could find on the FORUM but both "grease fittings" are dead ends leading me to believe this is a "leak-less" water pump. I've also read where even on the leak-less pumps you have to grease the aft grease fitting.

What have I got? (besides a leaky water pump)

Tom Wesenberg 09-14-2016 07:45 PM

Re: Water Pump

There are at least a few guys making leakless pumps and I've seem lots of them leak. I've also seen the bearings go out on some. I rebuilt my original pump exactly the way Ford built it, and it never leaked a drop in over 10 years. I still rebuild them the same way, except now I use the rear bushing with the double lip seal, which will do an even better job of keeping the coolant and grease separated.

Brentwood Bob 09-14-2016 11:48 PM

Has anyone else looked at the waterpump and given you an opinion.
We are guessing at solutions. What have you tried?
Bob

jwaldrich 09-19-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1354721)
Has anyone else looked at the water pump and given you an opinion.
Bob

I tried tightening the collar on the aft end and that worked for awhile. I fear the bearing or whatever is in there is shot.

I guess I'll have to take it off and replace it with a water pump that I know the history of. Ironically this car came with a small stash of parts which included another old water pump.

jwaldrich 09-19-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1354721)
Has anyone else looked at the water pump and given you an opinion.
Bob

And no Bob; No one else has looked at the pump.

Glenn C. 09-19-2016 09:23 PM

If you were able to tighten the packing nut somewhat, and were temporarily able to stop the leak, that is not a leakless pump. I would try a original style grease fitting in the packing end, and see if it will accept grease. While you are at it, you might as well try greasing the front support bearing also.

Fred S 09-19-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn C. (Post 1357262)
If you were able to tighten the packing nut somewhat, and were temporarily able to stop the leak, that is not a leakless pump.

My year old leakless water pump has a back up packing nut that can be used if it does leak someday. Also, the rear requires grease.

Synchro909 09-20-2016 03:03 AM

The stainless shafts used these days are too soft. A leak-less pump doesn't stay that way for more than about 15-20,000 miles before the lip seal wears a groove in the shaft. The gland packing nut on them should have packing behind it and tightening the nut will work like the original pump for a while. The soft shaft wears quickly and you're back to square one pretty soon.
A pump built like Henry built them is not built like Henry built them because the shaft is so soft. Seems everybody has decided that stainless is best because it doesn't rust but they are not. The gland packing on a pump done like original quickly wears the shaft and the leak starts. A few years ago, there were pumps available with a modern ceramic seal in them. Does anybody have any info on those?
I have just fitted a modernish carbon seal to a pump for each of my cars. Haven't tried them yet but very hopeful of a good and durable pump.
A leakless pump that leaked cost me an engine rebuild. I'm not a fan of the so called leakless pumps that are about now. Contemplating making new pumps with ceramic seals.

Dollar Bill 09-20-2016 03:20 AM

Synchro, you may want to contact Speedway Motors ([email protected]) as they reference ceramic seals for later model water pumps. I didn't see an offering for the Model A on the web site.

jwaldrich 09-20-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn C. (Post 1357262)
If you were able to tighten the packing nut somewhat, and were temporarily able to stop the leak, that is not a leakless pump. I would try a original style grease fitting in the packing end, and see if it will accept grease. While you are at it, you might as well try greasing the front support bearing also.

Both are dead ends and just there for "looks". I used a scribe and found the bottom is rather shallow.

jwaldrich 09-26-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwaldrich (Post 1357246)
I tried tightening the collar on the aft end and that worked for awhile. I fear the bearing or whatever is in there is shot.

I guess I'll have to take it off and replace it with a water pump that I know the history of. Ironically this car came with a small stash of parts which included another old water pump.

Got it off and the collar will NOT come off! I am using a vise, chisel and hammer and while it is coming off slowly I am cutting the teeth off the collar. I do believe this pump is shot!

In retrospect I do not think I tightened the collar at all when I attempted to do so as there is no way I could have gotten the collar this tight by hand.

Got a pump on order.

100IH 09-27-2016 03:06 PM

Take your spare pump apart. They are pretty simple but I would recommend doing a search for tips. Nothing wrong with learning what is the low down on original concepts that worked for 65-70 years. Also, you could save about $100.00. Too many folks go for the improvements of today and miss out on what it was really like back when.

VFRhugh 09-27-2016 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a kluged together http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201642 water pump that I saved with a rebuild kit and upgraded front bearing from Brattons. Like someone said I now understand how the pump works. I also used the bolts that look like studs & nuts.
30 - 31 DELUXE WATER PUMP REBUILD KIT #12740. $53.50
MODERN WATER PUMP BEARING AND SLEEVE #12700 $10.00

jwaldrich 09-27-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100IH (Post 1361339)
Take your spare pump apart. They are pretty simple but I would recommend doing a search for tips. Nothing wrong with learning what is the low down on original concepts that worked for 65-70 years. Also, you could save about $100.00. Too many folks go for the improvements of today and miss out on what it was really like back when.

I took apart the "spare" pump. Pretty simple really. There was just enough corrosion on the shaft and bearings/cavities to convince me that even after clean up I didn't want to put it in the car. New pump should be here any day and after installation I will know exactly what I have.

jwaldrich 10-14-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwaldrich (Post 1361372)
I took apart the "spare" pump. Pretty simple really. There was just enough corrosion on the shaft and bearings/cavities to convince me that even after clean up I didn't want to put it in the car. New pump should be here any day and after installation I will know exactly what I have.

New water pump is in and I'm back on the road! Thanks to everyone's help and advice.