The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Headlight Lens Retaining Clips (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105533)

jfcrash 05-07-2013 08:08 PM

Headlight Lens Retaining Clips

Ref 1935.....I have tried and tried to install the after market lens retaining clips I got from Mac's (p/n 48-13061-S) which hold the headlite lens in the trim ring...

Whats the secret?? I am afraid I will break the lens in the process, they seem to tall for the job..and don't match up to the one original that I still have.

Can someone offer a suggestion of how the got them to fit or know a source for ones that do fit??

Thanks, Jim

oldandtired 05-08-2013 07:10 AM

Re: Headlight Lens Retaining Clips

The aftermarket clips I have seen were like what you describe...taller than the OEM ones, making it a challenge to get them to work.

V12Bill 05-08-2013 09:19 AM

I had to get originals and toss out the Mac's retainers on my 39 pickup.

dean333 05-08-2013 06:12 PM

I'm having the same issues replacing the sealed beams on my 36 with the original glass lenses. I'm going to take them with me to the next V8 club meeting, hopefully a meeting of the minds will help.

dean333 05-08-2013 06:19 PM

Oh, I was told clips were no longer available to hold sealed beams in. I got my car with duct tape holding the beams which led me to go back the the original lenses. I like the original look better anyway.. my point, after getting clips for the glass lenses I found they hold the sealed beams perfectly!!

Gary C 05-08-2013 08:38 PM

Hi: I just used some new clips from Mac's on my 35. You have to stretch them out a bit, The ends fit into the lip of the bezel, and the middle part fits into the notch on the lens. The trick is to stretch them out so that they are not so deep. Hope this helps. Gary C

jfcrash 05-08-2013 10:33 PM

Earlier today, I did exactly as Gary has stated, modify the shape of these newer replacments by streaching them out which lowered thier profile and still maintain a snug fit.

I only distroyed two before I figured it out.............

Jim

dean333 05-09-2013 08:22 AM

At the top center of the clip where it comes to a point in a "V' shape.....does the "V" point down to the lens or face up?

dean333 05-09-2013 08:25 AM

.....actually more like an elongated "U" about 3/8" wide.

jfcrash 05-09-2013 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It faces down toward the lens and rests in a notch area in the lens perimeter.

First picture is the new repro and the second is my original clip

Hopes this helps, Jim

Shadetree 05-09-2013 08:51 PM

My grandfather had a saying that I heard many times growing up. When something he was working on became stubborn he would say "The SOB (only he would say the real thing) that invented this should have died before he thought of it."

Forward 60 years or so.... I was working with these same retainers from Mac's for my `35 Cabriolet and my wife was helping me. After several attempts without me saying a word my wife said. "I agree with your grandfather." I broke up laughing so hard. We eventually got them installed. Hopefully the next owner will put them in the next time.

Tom Morookian 05-10-2013 06:08 AM

I gave up on any of the aftermarket ones looooong ago.

Office Depot - small "binder clips". Pop the 2 tangs out of the black part. With 2 needle nose pliers bend them out from the joint just below the top of the clip. Then bend the tangs down a little to fit flush into the rim.

Nice an "springy" and a custom fit.

bosborn38pu 03-20-2017 08:46 PM

Following a frustrating afternoon attempting to assembly my headlights, I went to "The Barn." Thanks to this thread, the job is done. And a special thanks to Tom Morookian's "binder clip" fix. It works perfectly.

A bones 03-21-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfcrash (Post 648115)

First picture is the new repro and the second is my original clip Jim

This deserves a new question. How are photos such as those shot?
Thank you.:D

corvette8n 03-21-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A bones (Post 1445819)
This deserves a new question. How are photos such as those shot?
Thank you.:D

Depends on the camera, most cameras and phones have a close-up or macro setting to focus close, the problem is holding it still, especially the phone.
On my digital SLR I use a +1 or 2 aux lens and a tripod.

J Witt 03-23-2017 08:52 AM

Great suggestion, Tom. Thanks.

John

Mick35 03-27-2017 03:21 AM

Could someone please enlighten me on where I might find the retaining clip that protrudes through the top slot of the headlight bucket for the headlight rim to hold on to on a '35-'36? I've seen the same type of clip listed in several aftermarket catalogues, but for '28-'29,'30-'31,'32, and '33-'34 models only. Regards, Mick.

tiger.1000 03-28-2017 02:17 AM

I usually get some .025" piano wire and make my own

Mick35 03-29-2017 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pictures that will hopefully display the type of clip I am chasing.

vulture 03-29-2017 06:30 AM

I had a number of bags of the aftermarket ones with a few projects I acquired. I was working on a 1932 headlight and opened up a pack of springs and way too strong and chipped the glass when taking it off. I opened another package and bent into a weird configuration .
I have been in the spring and wire form industry for over 20 years . I was hoping to use up stuff just sitting collecting dust and space . So I did that by throwing the packages away and making some tooling for a kick press . I made mine out of .062 302 stainless spring wire that we have cut offs from Motorola antennas and worked great. I am tempted to call macs and give the a quote for springs
So what's the wire form they sell for universal fit ?