The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   30 Standard Coupe dovetail question..Help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30240)

flatman 02-28-2011 08:19 PM

30 Standard Coupe dovetail question..Help

Hoping someone can help...
Can anyone give me suggestion what to use for the female dovetail in the door. The males, on the post are easy to find, but I am having trouble figuring out what to use in the door. Or do these need to be updated to a later hardware. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Jim

Kurt in NJ 02-28-2011 10:34 PM

Re: 30 Standard Coupe dovetail question..Help

1 Attachment(s)
The picture doesn't show much, there is a rubber stuffed in with a sort of "U" shaped metal ---perhaps closer to the omega symbol, this is how my car was when I got it, and it was a mostly unmolested 40k miles car.

Mike in NRN IN 02-28-2011 10:44 PM

I got mine from Snyder's -

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/2791

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/up...BS-8051-xl.jpg

The secret to installing was to use some liquid dish soap (kind you use in the sink) and get the rubber parts all slick.

Also, be sure to get all the old hardened rubber out of the channels. I used a dental pick (from Harbor Freight)

Marco Tahtaras 03-01-2011 01:06 AM

From Mike's post it appears some parts are improving at least a little. My pic below shows original parts used at various times.

http://abarnyard.com/temp/doorrubber_cl.jpg

flatman 03-01-2011 08:09 PM

Thanks for all your help. I now can get the dovetails in..FordBarn comes thru again

206tee 11-27-2011 01:16 PM

Hi guys,

I've ordered the door rubber kit shown by Marco's earlier post from Snyder's and I am not sure where the upper and lower door bumpers are located as my car does not have them on the doors. Can someone provide me a picture of their location and any tips on installing them? BTW, the female dovetail kit I ordered from Snyder's looks a little different then the kit shown in Marco's post. My car is a '30 Standard Coupe.

Mitch 11-27-2011 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a lousy picture of my driver's side door, which I haven't restored yet. This is the bottom rubber and it's held in place with metal strips that press/pinch the rubber in place.

The top rubber screws into the roof wood and is at the rear where the top of the door is flat across (no raised rib). No picture since I have it apart for paint work.

206tee 11-28-2011 08:26 AM

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the picture, it really helps. Base on your description, I'll take a look/see on the door and roof wood to see if I can locate where the top rubber bumper matches up with the top of the door. If I run into any issues or problems, I'll be back. :)

Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch (Post 314400)
This is a lousy picture of my driver's side door, which I haven't restored yet. This is the bottom rubber and it's held in place with metal strips that press/pinch the rubber in place.

The top rubber screws into the roof wood and is at the rear where the top of the door is flat across (no raised rib). No picture since I have it apart for paint work.

Richard Lorenz 11-28-2011 03:41 PM

Kurt: The paint on your door looks like it is Chicle Drab. What shows on my computer screen is much lighter than what is on the chip in the latest paint guide. Is /was your original paint similar to what is in the paint guide?

Mitch 11-30-2011 10:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Picture of top rubber stop.

Jynx 01-07-2012 11:21 PM

more pics would be nice

Marco Tahtaras 01-08-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jynx (Post 339325)
more pics would be nice

Of what specifically? I guess we have some slackers here!!!

Jynx 01-10-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras (Post 339367)
Of what specifically? I guess we have some slackers here!!!

I feel this reply from a senior member is totally inappropriate..I was having a problem installing them and wanted a better picture to see if my installation was correct..perhaps one can only ask the right questions on this form

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-10-2012 04:58 PM

For me, it is important to read a question and understand it, then read all posts before typing something that displays my IGNORANCE!!:p

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-12-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jynx (Post 339325)
more pics would be nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jynx (Post 341052)
I feel this reply from a senior member is totally inappropriate..I was having a problem installing them and wanted a better picture to see if my installation was correct..perhaps one can only ask the right questions on this form

Sir, I don't know who you are, --or what you are after but no one here "owes" you anything, ....pictures or instructional assembly advice included!! Many people here freely give away knowledge and information that did not come free to us. Marco has done WAY more for this hobby than he will ever receive credit for. Please consider giving him an apology for your comments, and then consider asking specifically what you need a picture of and we'll see if we can supply you with what info you need.

Modelakid31 01-12-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jynx (Post 341052)

It's a joke. He is not being rude about it

V4F 06-12-2012 08:55 AM

bad joke ! the written word has no humor ............

Brentwood Bob 06-12-2012 12:37 PM

Great thread right up to the last part. Politeness and thank you are always appropriate. Bob