The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   white smoke and water tall pipe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5492)

lenmissy 06-19-2010 09:04 AM

white smoke and water tall pipe

why is white smoke and drips of water not antifreeze comingout of tail pipe len email [email protected]

flathead4rd 06-19-2010 09:14 AM

Re: white smoke and water tall pipe

You either have a leaking head gasket or cracked block. Find out which before you ruin your engine.

BIG MIKE 06-19-2010 09:27 AM

I have that in my tank all the time goes away when she is warmed up Condesation I belive. Cheers BM

3340 06-19-2010 12:28 PM

whith smoke is not a good thing, remove anti-freez before further checking,also check for anti-freez in oil change if needed.

boman5 06-19-2010 12:42 PM

I agree. get antifreeze out. years ago I was given a '54 Ford that smoked (white) badly I parked it with the intent of locating the source the next day. when I went to start it up all the lifters that were on the cam lobes stuck in the up position and I mean really stuck!

skip 06-19-2010 12:48 PM

Water is the universal solvent. Given enough time water will dissolve your Model A as well as the wife's crystal glass set. Water doesn't burn and becomes a product of combustion and water has tremendous weight yet floats in air. Water flows and bends but can not be compressed and given the latent heat of condensation, stores energy in unbelievable amounts. Water is the best insulator of temperature change and absorbs heat and gives up heat in a constant rate. Water is the chief moderator of temperature. A falling barometer indicates a storm yet the air molecules are pushed so far apart by water the air has less weight and the mercury pushed up a tube by air pressure falls. And yet very dry air indicates high pressure. Air without water. Air without water weighs more than air with water. So why does your model 'A' run better on a cool dampish day? Anyway, way off the reservation here.

If your NOT loosing coolant;
Your making steam. For every 1,000,000 btu's burned about 100 lb of water vapor is condensed within cold tail pipes. That's the part you don't see.

Additionally upon exiting outside the pipe into cooler air you are condensing water vapor and making water and that's the part you do see coming out of the tail pipe.

To help save the black iron [steal] exhaust system from rusting out so fast the manufacture usually drills a weep hole in the muffler to let the water out.

When the wifes Datsun 310 blew a head gasket idling at a rail road crossing on the very day that John Lennon was shot and killed I thought I was driving a Stanley Steamer!

There is about 180,000 btu in one gallon of gasoline and just for poops and grins the world is surrounded in roughly a constant water vapor weighing approximately 700-trillion-billion metric ton of water vapor according to N.A.S.A..

Just because L.A. in California is out of water doesn't mean that the world is drying up since the weight of vapor remains a constant through out our 82,000 foot of atmosphere. It just means L.A. is and has always been a desert. Some places are so wet they wish they were a desert. And anti-personnel munitions do impact and detonate on rain drops.

skip

ford1 06-19-2010 01:07 PM

most cars will blow white smoke (or steam) for a few minutes in the morning in high humidy cool weather, or even after sitting for a while it will happen again, but if it was my car i would pull the plugs and check for water getting into the cylinders, very white and clean plugs indicate water leaking into the combustion chamber, retorque heads a few times and see if that stops the it

terry 06-19-2010 03:16 PM

Skip, Now I know why the barometer works the way it does! Never was it explained that accurately to me before.(I don't think I'm the only dummy out here) I always thought if there was more water vapor in the air shouldn't it be heavier and shouldn't that barometer rise instead of fall? Live and learn. Terry

skip 06-20-2010 08:06 AM

In our U.S.P.S. boating club, the weather class that we boaters elect to take...that little fact was mentioned in our class text book. As was the amount of water vapor surrounding the earth in our atmosphere.

It's like; The weight of how many semi trucks [that would be the water molecules] can you park and stack up in a box say the cube the size of a yea long by yea wide basket ball court and 82,000 foot high vs how much sand [that would be the water molecules] can be dumped into the same cubic sized basket ball court? Which weighs more? The sand. That would be a dry high pressure day with little water in the atmosphere.

http://www.usps.org/door/

If you 'Look~See' be sure to click on the links. Thanx.

skip.

" I'll add that the burning of ethanol produces water vapor as a byproduct, and that alcohol can absorb and transport significant quantities of water. "

OK. Water still does not burn so where does it go after being transported?

Mike51Merc 06-20-2010 08:31 AM

I'll add that the burning of ethanol produces water vapor as a byproduct, and that alcohol can absorb and transport significant quantities of water.

lenmissy 06-20-2010 09:51 AM

took out plugs no white or tan plugs car runs great so far what is the problem how can you tellif block is cracked len

rotorwrench 06-20-2010 11:13 AM

Constant coolant loss is the first signs that coolant (some water) is going somewhere. A head gasket can leak when cold and close up after warm up expands the metal involved. Re-torquing the heads isn't a bad idea. Flatheads are infamous for stuff like this. On cool morning a white smoke for a very short period is normal. During a hot afternoon not so much. If it smokes white all the time no good.

Barry-ct 06-20-2010 11:44 AM

What does your oil look like, coolant in oil will have milky brown almost chocolate look to it. If it's black or clean ( goldenish ) it's ok.

Barry

50 F-1

hbleadsled 06-20-2010 01:21 PM

Yes every thing you guy's said, Harold, Ca.

3340 06-21-2010 11:04 AM

put a low pressure test on radiator watch for pressure drop.

BIG MIKE 06-21-2010 01:55 PM

I did believe in this guys post it wasent Antifreeze coming out of his tail pipes

hombres ruin 06-22-2010 12:47 PM

Remember white smoke and steam are two different things.We have to determine if its smoke or steam.Most cars will let steam go with water vapour and then when it warms up its gone. smoke is a different thing altogether.Also is this smoke always there on start up and driving? or is it momentarily?You will see steam produced on cold nights and morning when starting a car,thats normal.Hot moist exhaust coming into contact with cold air.Does this smoke have a smell to it?

ford1 06-22-2010 01:06 PM

this post doesnt really have much to do with his problem but some of the newer model a owners might be interested, white smoke coming out of the tail pipe on starting and then going away in a minute or two is mostly caused by bad valve guides( mostly on over head valve engines), smoke that is continual is and indication of worn rings, smoking when you let off the gas and decelerating is also an indication of worn valve guides, so for what its was worth there it is

ford1 06-22-2010 02:05 PM

oh darn it i thought i was in the model a room sorry for taking up space in here