The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how tight? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24863)

Kirby1374 01-03-2011 05:28 PM

how tight?

after getting something too tight and breaking it I am asking the brains. I am replacing the rubber in the stock A rear motormounts and also the front with an original style 3 spring and plate setup. How tight? Just so I can put the cotter pin in? I don't want to squeeze out the rubber on the rears.

wudda u tink?

Rich in Tucson 01-03-2011 05:35 PM

Re: how tight?

Iffen you have all of the right parts, including the tubular spacers that fit within the holes on the outside of the bolts, you cannot overtighten them-the spacers do just that - they limit how far down the nut can travel on the bolt and by so doing create a gap for the rubber pad.

Rich in Tucson 01-03-2011 05:38 PM

Oops forgot the front - tighten down until the hand crank functions as it should in engaging the crank pulley. You might find that the hole drilled for the cotter pin on a repro bracket is far off from where your nut ends up.

Kirby1374 01-03-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson (Post 137117)
Iffen you have all of the right parts, including the tubular spacers that fit within the holes on the outside of the bolts, you cannot overtighten them-the spacers do just that - they limit how far down the nut can travel on the bolt and by so doing create a gap for the rubber pad.

Thanks, I bought the hardware kit; bolts, spacer tubes, nuts and cotters. So I will cinch'er down!

Kirby1374 01-03-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson (Post 137123)
Oops forgot the front - tighten down until the hand crank functions as it should in engaging the crank pulley. You might find that the hole drilled for the cotter pin on a repro bracket is far off from where your nut ends up.

thanks as well, I am using an original bracket just new mount kit for the front. Mine had the 2 springs hooked together with the rubber inserts previous.

Jim Parker Toronto 01-03-2011 06:07 PM

Just put my new ones in last week with the help of my 6 year old grandson, he had his side done before me! Great kid, he's gonna own that car one day, so he might as well help build it..... P.S., he loved putting in the cotter pins....

Bruce of MN 01-03-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto (Post 137149)
Just put my new ones in last week with the help of my 6 year old grandson, he had his side done before me! Great kid, he's gonna own that car one day, so he might as well help build it..... P.S., he loved putting in the cotter pins....

He'll remember it the rest of his life, too.

Tom Wesenberg 01-04-2011 02:34 AM

Remember to get the front lined up where it should be first, then make the rears tight and install the cotters.

jimnungesser 01-04-2011 01:52 PM

Good advice!!