The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best choke for downdraft carb? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305096)

alexiskai 10-12-2021 02:44 PM

Best choke for downdraft carb?

I'm planning an upgrade to the Stromberg 97 carb on one of my cars. I'm trying to organize the parts list. The consensus seems to be that a choke is sometimes needed. Snyder's sells a cable choke, for which I would need to get a 97 with the cable choke bracket. But I wondered if the stock choke could be adapted, or if a third option is workable. I'd prefer not to punch more holes in the firewall if I don't have to.

Charlie Stephens 10-12-2021 04:08 PM

Re: Best choke for downdraft carb?

If the requirement is to not punch a hole in the firewall (or run it through the floorboard) you might consider one of the automatic chokes that Ford used in the fifties. Sorry I don't have enough information to be more specific.

Charlie Stephens

Gene F 10-12-2021 04:15 PM

On one of your cars...as in a Model-A?

alexiskai 10-12-2021 04:45 PM

Yes, sorry, I temporarily have two Model As and it’s gone to my head.

alexiskai 10-12-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 2066060)
If the requirement is to not punch a hole in the firewall (or run it through the floorboard) you might consider one of the automatic chokes that Ford used in the fifties. Sorry I don't have enough information to be more specific.

Charlie Stephens

A new hole in the floorboard would be fine. What type of choke would I use for that?

emf 10-12-2021 05:25 PM

On my dual downdraft set-up, I ran a metal rod with a small diameter through the GAV rod holes. Once the Zenith is gone, no need for the GAV rod.

Frank

Patrick L. 10-12-2021 05:41 PM

Yes, you'll need a choke. I've never seen a 97 without a choke. It can be manual or coil spring heat coil addition, your choice.

Lawson Cox 10-12-2021 05:46 PM

Best choke? Both hands, from the rear. That'd be the "best".

Charlie Stephens 10-12-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2066076)
A new hole in the floorboard would be fine. What type of choke would I use for that?

I assume you could use the cable.

Charlie Stephens

nkaminar 10-12-2021 07:58 PM

My Weber has a choke operated by a cable. The knob end is mounted where the GAV/choke rod knob would normally be and the cable goes through the hole in the firewall where the rod would normally go. It is quite natural for me to reach for the cable end to choke the engine when cold as that is where I used to grab the rod to choke the Zenith. The Weber has offset choke plates with a spring connection so that once the engine starts the choke opens up a bit so that the engine does not flood. It still runs rough until I push in the choke, slowly as it warms up.

Ruth 10-12-2021 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2066031)
I'm planning an upgrade to the Stromberg 97 carb on one of my cars. I'm trying to organize the parts list. The consensus seems to be that a choke is sometimes needed. Snyder's sells a cable choke, for which I would need to get a 97 with the cable choke bracket. But I wondered if the stock choke could be adapted, or if a third option is workable. I'd prefer not to punch more holes in the firewall if I don't have to.

I don't believe I have ever seen a Stromberg 97 that had anything but a cable.I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

alexiskai 10-12-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 2066166)
I don't believe I have ever seen a Stromberg 97 that had anything but a cable.I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

The company that's making "new" Strombergs has a specific cable choke model, so it seemed like the other models must use a different setup – but I didn't know what it was.

There have been a few Barners who didn't use cables:
Running a cable through the GAV port is totally fine with me, I just wanted to check whether there was a preferred method I hadn't heard about.

CarlG 10-12-2021 10:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used the same choke cable assembly as they sell for the Webers. Used an existing hole in the firewall.

Ruth 10-12-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 2066199)
I used the same choke cable assembly as they sell for the Webers. Used an existing hole in the firewall.

I think CarlG is using the hole for the vacuum line for the wipers. That saves drilling a hole, as long as you don't have vacuum wipers.

alexiskai 10-12-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

How's the heat transfer on that setup? Any icing or overheating issues?

CarlG 10-12-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2066203)
How's the heat transfer on that setup? Any icing or overheating issues?

I don't have a problem either way. I did add the 1/4" phonelic (sp) riser that Stromberg makes between the manifold and carb.

brokenspoke 10-13-2021 05:31 AM

Quote:

I used this and mounted it on the original choke rod mount on gas tank and ran cable thru the original choke rod hole, then attached to a Charlie Price choke bracket

Jim Brierley 10-13-2021 12:20 PM

Ruth, All Fords that originally had 97's used a solid rod directly thru the firewall. I run a speedster with 3 Stromberg's but only choke the center carb. I took an original rod, cut off near the carb, drilled a hole length-wise in the rod, brazed a 8-32 nut on the side that clamped the cable to that fitting. In the speedster it is a straight line from the "knob" to the carb, I just use a length of brazing rod, not an actual cable. Works fine!

alexiskai 10-13-2021 12:44 PM

My build goal is to imitate a Model A that might have existed in 1936, where the owner has been tweaking it with aftermarket parts and parts from later Fords. A generator, cable choke and distributor from a Model B, the carb from a Model 48 or 78, a Winfield head, etc. So I think the cable approach will be fine.

Ruth 10-13-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 2066345)
Ruth, All Fords that originally had 97's used a solid rod directly thru the firewall.

Thanks Jim. I worded my response incorrectly. I meant in a non-stock installation. Like I mentioned I didn't understand.

Probably would have been better if I didn't respond at all. :p:p