The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you take your Model A to the local self serve car wash? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305035)

Eccentric Old Guy 10-11-2021 04:33 AM

Do you take your Model A to the local self serve car wash?

OK, I realize this is probably a newbie question......but, it seems quick and easy to take your Model A to the local self serve car wash...

The pros are obvious, but what about the cons?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-11-2021 05:34 AM

Re: Do you take your Model A to the local self serve car wash?

I don't go to the car wash because we have a steam cleaner at the shop. I just don't run the boiler but use the high pressure water. With me at the shop, if I get the electrical a little wet, I am not stranded until it dries.

It is just like anything, -use common sense on what you spray with the wand. Also realize, that using a pressure washer is just a shortcut for a method that can be done by hand. Typically as with any shortcut, the outcome is never as quality as cleaning it right, but time always plays a factor in any task.

WHN 10-11-2021 06:40 AM

Would wash your Grandmothers antique China in the dish washer?

Sunny the Model A 10-11-2021 06:49 AM

That was a good one WHN! :)

nkaminar 10-11-2021 06:51 AM

Would you dry your miniature poodle in the microwave? Dumb joke, sorry.

I wash my car by hand using car soap and a clean terry cloth rag. Then I dry it off with the leaf blower. Our water is not hard but blowing it off helps with the water spots. I then use a cleaner wax.

If needed I will use a hand polishing cream, not machine polishing.

As a side note, the instruction book that came with our new Toyota said not to take the car to a car wash because the brushes would degrade the finish.

ronn 10-11-2021 06:52 AM

Would wash your Grandmothers antique China in the dish washer?

I would. she left me crap............

Big hammer 10-11-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2065553)
I don't go to the car wash because we have a steam cleaner at the shop. I just don't run the boiler but use the high pressure water. With me at the shop, if I get the electrical a little wet, I am not stranded until it dries.

It is just like anything, -use common sense on what you spray with the wand. Also realize, that using a pressure washer is just a shortcut for a method that can be done by hand. Typically as with any shortcut, the outcome is never as quality as cleaning it right, but time always plays a factor in any task.

You know the only time my A left me stranded was at a car wash 50 years ago! Yep let the smoke out of the wiring, after the wiring dried out and after putting the smoke back in, drove her home.

DBrer 10-11-2021 11:47 AM

Hand wash only with a microfiber wash mitt and dry with a woolly mammoth towel.

Oldbluoval 10-11-2021 04:07 PM

Are you speaking of one the coin operated pressure washers? Could have cautious application. Surely not one of the tunnel type. Those are for today’s aerodynamic cars.
Too may thingys exposed like cowl lights, visors, bumpers……would be demolition derby.
Many folks I know dry wash/dry wipe and never fully wet them.

“Hand wash only with a microfiber wash mitt and dry with a woolly mammoth towel.”
Is the answer

Patrick L. 10-11-2021 06:02 PM

The old roadster doesn't like the automatic car washes. Well actually, the car doesn't care. But I do since the top is always down and I don't like getting soapy and slapped around.

Vern 10-11-2021 07:25 PM

"As a side note, the instruction book that came with our new Toyota said not to take the car to a car wash because the brushes would degrade the finish."

I've wondered if that is why clear coat is peeling on so many cars.

Anteek29 10-11-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrer (Post 2065653)
Hand wash only with a microfiber wash mitt and dry with a woolly mammoth towel.

Heartily concur ;)

JOHN CT 10-11-2021 07:58 PM

I hand wash with a Micro fiber mint. When it comes to drying I use a drying aid with sio2 for gloss and lubrication so I don’t scratch the paint. Call me crazy!!

daren007 10-11-2021 09:01 PM

Drive it in the rain as Henry mention it to be.

holdover 10-11-2021 09:06 PM

All four of mine are hand washed and dried, usually with the help of the two grand kids. Even my wife helps....

Eccentric Old Guy 10-11-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 2065715)
Are you speaking of one the coin operated pressure washers? Could have cautious application. Surely not one of the tunnel type. Those are for today’s aerodynamic cars.
Too may thingys exposed like cowl lights, visors, bumpers……would be demolition derby.
Many folks I know dry wash/dry wipe and never fully wet them.

“Hand wash only with a microfiber wash mitt and dry with a woolly mammoth towel.”
Is the answer

Yes, I was speaking of the coin operated car wash with the pressurized wand. I've never done it, but have been tempted. So far, all I've done is use a soft cotton rag and a water mist, followed by a terry bath towel to dry....all used very gently.

I see there is a video by Paul Shinn on YouTube with cleaning advice. Anyone here fans of him?
https://youtu.be/ZaO4-4aa9fQ

Ray in La Mesa 10-11-2021 11:55 PM

In the 70's I drove my mostly disassembled '30 cabriolet to the DYI car wash on an early Sunday morning with ramps & a creeper. Spent about 45 minutes with goggles on pressure blasting the under carriage clean. Then drove it home & had a great time finishing the disassembly w/o 90% of the grease & grime. The body & EPA regulations sure won't let me do that today!

TerryH 10-12-2021 12:11 AM

I hand wash, with minimal water and hand dry. I use microfiber cloths. I try to dust it carefully once a week, and use a detailer spray and buff out with cloth. A car wash would get lots of water where I wouldn’t want it.

Stingray70 10-12-2021 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryH (Post 2065866)
I hand wash, with minimal water and hand dry. I use microfiber cloths. I try to dust it carefully once a week, and use a detailer spray and buff out with cloth. A car wash would get lots of water where I wouldn’t want it.

This is exactly what I do. Works great and I drive the A about 150 miles per month but not in the rain.

todd3131 10-12-2021 05:56 AM

Yes I have for 40 years. My father lived on a half mile gravel road so it was the best way to clean the spokes. Now I have well water and the outside taps are not filtered or conditioned so it water spots like crazy so I use the hand sprayer, I have never had an issue and I am not rubbing a hand towel over the paint picking up small dust particles and scratching the paint which I have done once.