The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   dull paint (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296219)

shoe box Jack 03-22-2021 03:52 PM

dull paint

HI guys, The original paint on my 85 crown vic. is turning real dull would clay bar be a good idea??. Jack.

petehoovie 03-22-2021 03:58 PM

Re: dull paint

Is it 'clear coated'?

shoe box Jack 03-22-2021 06:48 PM

NO, Pete.

shoe box Jack 03-22-2021 06:48 PM

NO Pete.

tubman 03-22-2021 06:51 PM

There are many sites on the internet that address this problem.

Hopefully, this is not one of them.

Lawson Cox 03-22-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1999131)
There are many sites on the internet that address this problem.

Hopefully, this is not one of them.

And why not??

50fordcoupeman 03-22-2021 06:58 PM

I use a random orbital buffer and Meguiars polishing compounds to remove discolorations and swirls. Very satisfied with results. Clay bar won't work for what you are asking.

tubman 03-22-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1999135)
And why not??

"85 Crown Vic"?

Please.

shoe box Jack 03-22-2021 07:42 PM

Tubman, Would it have made a difference if I had of said 35 ford??? Jack.

Kube 03-22-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoe box Jack (Post 1999155)
Tubman, Would it have made a difference if I had of said 35 ford??? Jack.

Yes, a huge difference. An '86 Crown Vic? Really?

tomcarman 03-22-2021 11:23 PM

Interesting juxtapostion going on. GB Sisson recently posted a thread titled "Whose gonna fill Their shoes". So an '85 Crown Victoria is now 35 years old. In 1970 a '35 Ford would have been 35 years old. I recognize the focus of this forum, yet it seems to me an open mind would consider both the past and the future. 50fordcoupeman and Tubman in #5 offered positive responses. It would be very interesting to me to hear how experienced body and paint guys resurrect dull, flakey and oxidized paint whether it's a '35 or an '85. I know little to nothing abount paint chemistry.

Tinker 03-22-2021 11:31 PM

Well Tom this is a site about ol'timely cars. So I say cover it in motor old. It'll shine fine but be sticky for a couple weeks. Repeat as needed.

thousands of videos on youtube... to be fair. type in dull paint 85 crown vic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHdCnN8o4_Q

To be fair, people come here to know how to make a 35 taillight to work or whatever. There is plenty of sites dealing with 80s paint. Now if you were asking if I have lacquer original paint or urethane. I could say get a rag with mineral spirits and see if it wipes away in an area you can't see. but I don't think I need to fill my shoes with 85 crown vics at this point. Although I wouldn't mind having one!

Dan Aykroyd would say look for a state dept marquis/marauder.

tomcarman 03-22-2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1999225)
Well Tom this is a site about ol'timely cars. So I say cover it in motor old. It'll shine fine but be sticky for a couple weeks. Repeat as needed.

thousands of videos on youtube... to be fair. type in dull paint 83 crown vic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHdCnN8o4_Q

Indeed ol'timely cars is what this site is about. I fully recognize AND appreciate that. What I'm getting at is automotive paint has been here from the beginning. I've read about lacquer back in the day and now all different chemical mixes are out there. Aside from watching the no expense spared high dollar almost unbelievable car shows how does one attempt to do their best to restore paint in the garage? I have a '49 Nash with heavily oxidized paint. A number of years ago I picked a spot on the drivers rear fender and started out with rubbing compound. About a football size. After many many hours of rubbing I switched to polishing compound. Looked great when finished. A lot of hand work. Now there are advertised products that supposedly do it in at instant. Youtube is full of tutorials. Question is whether it's a '35 or '85 what's the difference in paint? Regarding this thread my advice for the OP is look at Youtube tutorials, do the work and report back so hopefully we can all learn something.

Tinker 03-23-2021 12:07 AM

Nope you talked about including new people and cars. If that means compromising what we do here. well I disagree. Paint is very different. I guess if someone was asking about their car that is pre-war I'd be onboard. I don't really give 2 poops about a 85 crown vic here. Plenty of places for that.

As mentioned there is plenty of information about paint. Think that was covered.

This is one the last few places I can still come and just talk old fords as old fords. Guess I should have left this thread to die on the vine. My bad.

RalphG 03-23-2021 12:13 AM

I've always been a big fan of Turtle products. Years ago they had one called "Pre wax cleaner" that did a great job of removing oxidized paint on any of my old and not so old paint vehicles. Lately I've resorted to Turtle rubbing compound for severe oxidixing or damage. Used it on the 52 Merc and after many hours of work I'm happy with the results.

tomcarman 03-23-2021 12:55 AM

Tinker. Calm down and have a sip or three of some Stravinsky. Pre-war.

Tinker 03-23-2021 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcarman (Post 1999242)
Tinker. Calm down and have a sip or three of some Stravinsky. Pre-war.

Thanks!!! I don't drink hard liquor. Guess I'll start.

cas3 03-23-2021 01:10 AM

Its a question about buffing paint. If the OP had not mentioned what car it was on he would have had about 30 suggestions and no negative comments. again, its about buffing paint period.

tomcarman 03-23-2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1999245)
Thanks!!! I don't drink hard liquor. Guess I'll start.

I don't drink hard liquor either. Dave Mckenna jazz piano on Youtube might help. Seriously, I'd like to know what has developed over the years in paint chemistry. Surely there are some crackerjack painters on this Forum that could give us some knowledge in a nutshell.

Tinker 03-23-2021 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcarman (Post 1999253)
I'd like to know what has developed over the years in paint chemistry. Surely there are some crackerjack painters on this Forum that could give us some knowledge in a nutshell.

Sounds good, it's really been answered a few times.