The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Found Vibration (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198454)

inex01 06-15-2016 10:46 AM

Found Vibration

Today I finally found the vibration that my Roadster has had since day one. I was thinking it was related to my engine crank not being balanced. Last year I pulled the engine and replaced the clutch with a balanced flywheel and used a dial indicator to make sure my flywheel housing and flywheel were true and then reinstalled everything. Went for a test drive and it was actually better but there was still a pretty nasty vibration around 30 MPH. I was thinking it was the rotating assembly. This car does not get driven much but when I do drive her I was not enjoying it, so I decided to install a Float A Motor kit. This morning was the day; pulled the floor boards out and decided to take another very close look at the area on the firewall behind the engine and I found the problem! it was the throttle linkage bracket; you could see paint rubbed off on the firewall where the bracket was rubbing it. All I had to do was bent the bracket forward to where it belongs and then readjusted the linkage. Took the car for a test drive and it now is vibration free. So if anyone has a vibration this is one place to check out. I am returning the Float A Motor kit. Life is Sweet!

qstott 06-15-2016 11:09 AM

Re: Found Vibration

It makes your day when you solve a long lasting problem doesn't it? Time to do the happy dance!

Al 29Tudor 06-15-2016 11:23 AM

Good find!
Thanks for sharing the fix.

bunnyc 06-15-2016 11:28 AM

I have vibration noises, a lot of them. I know one of them is the right headlight. All the others I haven't figured out.

Mike V. Florida 06-15-2016 11:58 AM

Saving some money for gas.

J Franklin 06-15-2016 12:36 PM

Vibration, and rattles caused by vibration are 2 separate things, but I certainly know what you are saying. I had a rattle/squeak I couldn't find until I saw a worn spot where the hood lapped at the side hinge. A dab of grease on the rub spot stopped the noise.

inex01 06-15-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1309339)
Vibration, and rattles caused by vibration are 2 separate things, but I certainly know what you are saying. I had a rattle/squeak I couldn't find until I saw a worn spot where the hood lapped at the side hinge. A dab of grease on the rub spot stopped the noise.

I was getting such a strong vibration in the cowl that my rear view mirror was not usable around 30 MPH! and I totally agree with you rattles are a very different animal ;)

updraught 06-15-2016 11:01 PM

A large rubber hammer is good for finding rattles.

Use it to create some good vibrations.