The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Exhaust bolt hole repair (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337266)

rockfla 03-31-2024 08:14 AM

Exhaust bolt hole repair

Found out that one exhaust bolt in my block will not tighten. It threads in and will almost snug BUT will not tighten. Any preference as to a Heili-Coil or a “Thread-Cert”? OR any other suggested fix?? I am leaning towards the “threadsert” method.

Kube 03-31-2024 08:26 AM

Re: Exhaust bolt hole repair

Are you 100% certain you are utilizing the correct size bolts? Remember the forward most threaded holes are larger than the rearward four.

I've never been a big fan of HeliCoils but have found a few instances where they served appropriately.

rockfla 03-31-2024 08:54 AM

Mike
The other two end bolts and the one on top, all three are 3/8-16 tightened nicely. After getting it back from the machine shop I cleaned ALL the bolt holes with carb cleaner & a thread cleaner (not a tap) and made sure ALL the threaded holes were clean and straight. It will start to pull the lock washer flat BUT not quite!!!

Bored&Stroked 03-31-2024 09:47 AM

Just to be doubly sure - the two front bolt holes are 7/16 - 14, not 3/8 16. Easy mistake to make!

rockfla 03-31-2024 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2301581)
Just to be doubly sure - the two front bolt holes are 7/16 - 14, not 3/8 16. Easy mistake to make!

Mike/Bored&Stroked
Why yes they are, I was fooled as one of the 3/8 bolts held tightly for some odd reason, the other did not. Thanks for my oversite.
What a maroon and rookie mistake!!

Bored&Stroked 03-31-2024 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2301594)
Mike/Bored&Stroked
Why yes they are, I was fooled as one of the 3/8 bolts held tightly for some odd reason, the other did not. Thanks for my oversite.

I think every one of us has done that at one point in our "flathead careers!". The larger front bolts were because they needed additional clamping force for the cross-over pipe that went from side-to-side on stock exhausts.

Bored&Stroked 03-31-2024 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2301594)
Mike/Bored&Stroked

Also, I've seen guys HELICOIL them back to 3/8 NC - thinking they were stripped. I always get a kick out of that when I see it. :D

Scotty's 52 F3 04-01-2024 12:40 AM

That explains the Heli-coils in a block I got with a 4" crank I wanted. (package deal)

tubman 04-01-2024 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 (Post 2301725)
That explains the Heli-coils in a block I got with a 4" crank I wanted. (package deal)

How can this happen?:confused: The factory bolts have different head sizes for cripes sake.:eek:

Tim Ayers 04-01-2024 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2301754)
How can this happen?:confused: The factory bolts have different head sizes for cripes sake.:eek:

What do you mean? Using the smaller exhaust bolts for the front two?

tubman 04-01-2024 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 2301757)
What do you mean? Using the smaller exhaust bolts for the front two?

When you remove the bolts, you need two different size wrenches. It should be obvious that the bolts also have different thread sizes.

rockfla 04-01-2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2301760)
When you remove the bolts, you need two different size wrenches. It should be obvious that the bolts also have different thread sizes.

It's one thing when you have all the parts and pieces and I can lay everything out in order and by parts off the motor for sure. Different "sometimes" when you didn't take it apart, what parts you do have were sent by someone else who disassembled the "old" motor in Poland deciding what to send OR send what they had for the replacement block and you don't have ANY of the fasteners........NONE of them!!! I'd also like to say I build flatheads on a regular basis BUT I don't!!!! It's been at least 8-10 years since I have built one OR since I have had to mess with the exhaust manifolds or that area and I damn sure wish I could remember every single nuance of them, BUT I can't, to your dismay Tubman!!! Again, rookie mistake on my part.....Once it happened, I remembered it AFTER THE FACT!!!!

Tim Ayers 04-01-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2301760)

Not every block comes with the exhaust manifolds installed or the bolts. Think bare block.

It's a mistake that I'm sure more than a few people have made. Those unfamiliar with the front crossover stock exhaust set up, it's not what you normally encounter on any other motor. All part of the learning curve.

Tim Ayers 04-01-2024 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2301761)
It's one thing when you have all the parts and pieces and I can lay everything out in order and by parts off the motor for sure. Different "sometimes" when you didn't take it apart, what parts you do have were sent by someone else who disassembled the "old" motor in Poland deciding what to send OR send what they had for the replacement block and you don't have ANY of the fasteners........NONE of them!!! I'd also like to say I build flatheads on a regular basis BUT I don't!!!! It's been at least 8-10 years since I have built one OR since I have had to mess with the exhaust manifolds or that area and I damn sure wish I could remember every single nuance of them, BUT I can't, to your dismay Tubman!!! Again, rookie mistake on my part.....Once it happened, I remembered it AFTER THE FACT!!!!

Robert,

Go easy on yourself, man. Very easy mistake to make; especially like you say, if it's been a few years you have one apart.

Honestly, first thing I do is scrap the stock exhaust, so I'm always dealing with a header or something else than the stock set up.

rockfla 04-01-2024 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 2301767)
Robert,

Go easy on yourself, man. Very easy mistake to make; especially like you say, if it's been a few years you have one apart.

Honestly, first thing I do is scrap the stock exhaust, so I'm always dealing with a header or something else than the stock set up.

Thank Tim, it's all good here!!!!!

tubman 04-01-2024 10:29 AM

I guess I've just been working on these old boiler too long!:D

doghair3 04-09-2024 11:43 AM

Saw this on Hagerty. Maybe it will help someone the next time.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/mainte...a96c94ccdf8583

big job 04-09-2024 01:20 PM

I always thought those two front big bolt are for hanging the engine vertically in the factory perhaps gaining several inches = thousand engines minus inch's means more engines on the line....don't make sense big bolt for a tin pipe...............

Tim Ayers 04-09-2024 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 2303504)
I always thought those two front big bolt are for hanging the engine vertically in the factory perhaps gaining several inches = thousand engines minus inch's means more engines on the line....don't make sense big bolt for a tin pipe...............

I agree.