The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hard re-starting warm engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90300)

fordfun 11-28-2012 12:59 PM

Hard re-starting warm engine

Occasionally my '29 Sport Coupe will stall (die) when stopping at an intersection. When this happens, it's difficult to restart. Eventually, after several attempts with the throttle wide open (and just before accepting a push), it restarts. I believe the timing is set correctly, as I just checked it with a timing light per Les Andrews' procedure. Any idea what might be going on here?

AL in NY 11-28-2012 02:52 PM

Re: Hard re-starting warm engine

Does your carburetor drip fuel when parked? Your stalling problem may be due to a very rich(nearly flooded) condition when you stop. If the float is set to high, you maybe getting excess fuel into the engine because of your braking for the stop. The harder you break, the more likelihood the engine will stall. If these are some of your symptoms, try lowering the float level by putting a shim under the check valve.

Charlie Stephens 11-28-2012 03:37 PM

Do you instinctively pull the choke when starting? Pulling the choke when the engine is hot (at least on mine) will flood the engine making it hard to start.

Charlie Stephens

Barry B./ Ma. 11-28-2012 03:57 PM

Check the polarity of the coil wire going into the distributer. On several accasions i have found the polarity reversed which makes it difficult to start when hot.

Patrick L. 11-28-2012 05:29 PM

Stalling while hard braking is a fairly common complaint of Zenith carburetors.. Lowering the float level 1/16" is a good place to start and will probably resolve the issue.. Many fellas give the throttle lever a tug while stopping.. At least its not a hard thing to adjust,, let us know what happens..

Jim/GA 11-28-2012 06:09 PM

Do you have ONLY the original fuel filter on the car?

fordfun 12-01-2012 05:25 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been unable to drive the car since posting this question.

Perhaps I should mention that the stalling usually happens after coming downhill to a stop. When attempting to re-start it, I assume the engine has flooded so I don't pull the choke but rather hold the accelerator to the floor while cranking to clear the excess fuel.

The carb. doesn't leak fuel when parked. Presently there is one fuel filter, which is located in the top of the fuel bowl (and I just replaced it). I always strain new gasoline through a fine mesh filter.

I'll check the carb. float position and coil wiring. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Bill