The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I Have a Lift!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252581)

ricklove 10-05-2018 01:00 PM

I Have a Lift!!

Prior to building my 26' deep x 30' wide x 12' ceiling shop last spring, I knew I would eventually want a lift. Did a bunch of research; fast forward to a month ago; I called around for prices on a 2 post asymmetrical lift. NAPA had some on sale thru the end of September, so it was perfect timing. I talked to my local "go to" mechanic and asked him who services his lifts. Called that guy and he had retired; but referred me to the new owners. Got a price from him and hung up. I immediately thought about the possibility of a used one and called him back. Fast forward to last week; I bought a fully functional used Rotary SP10 from him for $2,200 cash (installed with 1 free service call during 1st 6 months of ownership). Electrician charged me $300 to hook up to 220. I am now fat (not so much), dumb (not so much), and happy (very much) and have already used it twice! (Not able to upload pics ??)

Seth Swoboda 10-05-2018 01:25 PM

Re: I Have a Lift!!

Two post lifts are really handy. My dad and I bought a used Challenger lift about 8 years ago and it has served us well.

leon bee 10-05-2018 01:48 PM

Same here, got a good deal on an excellent used heavy duty lift. I kept thinking, man, these posts are really gonna be in the way in our crowded shop. We dis- erected the thing, hauled it home......"jeeze this thing is gonna be in the way!

Used it one time, no, it isn't in the way at all. I don't even see those great big posts anymore as I am walking around them and tripping on the arms. Mostly what I thought about was all the hours, weeks I've spent on the concrete floor until now.

RKS.PA 10-05-2018 03:04 PM

Those of us with lifts are truly blessed!!! (Particularly old guys like me!!!) Actually it means I'm able to do things on my Fords that would otherwise now be impossible if I had to do them on the floor like I used to!!!

TagMan 10-05-2018 03:13 PM

Congratulations ! I hope you'll be as happy with yours, as I am with mine.

I bought a BackYard Buddy 4-post lift 27-years ago and have been blessed to use it on average about once a week for all that time, without any repairs at all. Best shop tool I've ever bought.

1937sedandelivery 10-05-2018 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No way could I work on my cars without a lift (aka spoiled). Once you have one, you will swear by it.
I bought a new Atlas 9000lb 2 post lift several years ago from Greg Smith Equipment for ~$1500. They now list for $1700 plus shipping. I did all the install, it wasn't too bad. Good luck. You will kick yourself for not getting one...
see attached pic.

marko39 10-05-2018 04:14 PM

i too have a lift but mine is a in ground single post made by the Globe Hoist Co. this came out of a service station and is a 10,000 lb. lift made in 1963. served me well for last 25 years and i have even pulled engines with it. was a pain in the ass to dig a hole 8 feet deep for it. it cost me 500.00 plus one day to rent jackhammer to bust through solid rock. what you can do when youre young. Mark

mhsprecher 10-05-2018 09:00 PM

"what you can do when you're young."

Ain't that the truth.

big job 10-06-2018 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one I believe is rated 15,000 lbs. Only took a day to install.....

Pat/Ohio 10-06-2018 05:48 AM

Good for you Rick! I have a Backyard Buddy. Have had it for over 15 years. Best tool in the garage! Have fun! Pat

Frank Miller 10-06-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leon bee (Post 1682512)
Same here, got a good deal on an excellent used heavy duty lift. I kept thinking, man, these posts are really gonna be in the way in our crowded shop. We dis- erected the thing, hauled it home......"jeeze this thing is gonna be in the way!

Used it one time, no, it isn't in the way at all. I don't even see those great big posts anymore as I am walking around them and tripping on the arms. Mostly what I thought about was all the hours, weeks I've spent on the concrete floor until now.

If you're tripping on the arms then leave it up when not in use.

shoe box Jack 10-06-2018 07:50 AM

WHAT one would be the better the two or the four post?? as we are in the market to buy one. Thanks for any info. Jack.

tubman 10-06-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoe box Jack (Post 1682700)
WHAT one would be the better the two or the four post?? as we are in the market to buy one. Thanks for any info. Jack.

The "H.A.M.B." has a companion site called "The Garage Journal" that addresses things like this. You will find more information over there than you will ever get here.

One thing I can tell you is that that main factor in my decision was the garage floor. Since I have my shop in a converted storage unit, the floor was not thick enough for a two-post lift without additional floor work. I went with a four-post because the floor was adequate as is. Also, If you are going to use the lift mostly for storage, a four-post is probably more suitable. Consider a two-post if the primary use is going to be working on vehicles.

shoe box Jack 10-06-2018 08:51 AM

Thank you Tubman for the info. Jack.

3738 10-06-2018 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have a lift, but my 1 car garage has a grease pit that the original builder put in ~1957 and apparently he wanted to convert it into a fall out shelter. Unfortunately, the home was rented before I bought it and that renter dug the pit deeper, put in grow lights and grew Marijuana in it. It is currently to deep to reach the bottom of my 37, so I put metal wire racks down in it and store extra car parts down there. I may some day put in a proper height floor...

flatford8 10-06-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1937sedandelivery (Post 1682541)
No way could I work on my cars without a lift (aka spoiled). Once you have one, you will swear by it.
I bought a new Atlas 9000lb 2 post lift several years ago from Greg Smith Equipment for ~$1500. They now list for $1700 plus shipping. I did all the install, it wasn't too bad. Good luck. You will kick yourself for not getting one...
see attached pic.

I also got a 9000# from Greg Smith.....I did the install and am very pleased with it......I agree with the advice in post #13.....I have another building I’d like to put a 4 post in......Mark

TJ 10-06-2018 06:43 PM

If you live in earth quake country I would recommend a four post lift.

leon bee 10-06-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Miller (Post 1682694)
If you're tripping on the arms then leave it up when not in use.

I thought about that Frank, didn't know if it would be bad form or not.

LQQKER 10-06-2018 07:54 PM

Have a 4 post Advantage . Some maneuvering to get wheels off but lift makes life easier. Nice that it has a wheel kit to move around if need be.

Dick Webber 10-06-2018 08:31 PM

I finally bought a Greg Smith 4 post lift 2 years ago. it’s wonderful. I’m sorry I waited so long. I wanted a drive on lift to accommodate Model A and Ts and other vehicles that require getting on floor to arrange lifting arms. I am also able to store a car above and still drive under. I like that it can be easily moved. Was about $2300 delivered and maybe 6 hours to assemble. Well pleased.