The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New pitman arm too loose (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286080)

cw253748 08-23-2020 10:06 PM

New pitman arm too loose

Hello Ford Barn,
I just bought a new pitman arm from one of our good venders and it’s too loose on the gear box. I tightened the pinch bolt pretty tight and it still won’t tighten up. I will call the vender tomorrow but was wondering if anybody else has run into this? The old pitman arm tightens up very good when reinstalled.
Thanks
Chris

1930-Pickup 08-23-2020 11:42 PM

Re: New pitman arm too loose

Chris- That's an odd one.

I replaced my late-1930 pitman arm a few years ago with the shortened version to make steering easier. If anything, the arm was ever so slightly too tight. I had to spread the arm a little bit to slip it onto the gear box sector shaft.

Are you using the early 7-Tooth steering box, or a 2-Tooth? I'm not sure it will make a difference, but its good to know where you're coming from.

quickchange 08-23-2020 11:55 PM

Stick in the vise & squeeze it up , then you can tighten the bolt easier , OR its faulty ,

1930-Pickup 08-24-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 1923519)
Stick in the vise & squeeze it up , then you can tighten the bolt easier , OR its faulty ,

Yeah, that would do it, maybe.

I know that I'm way too anal-retentive. With my personality, I would find the root cause of a problem before squeezing the daylights out of it. But hey, that's why I don't have many followers :D

cw253748 08-24-2020 07:16 AM

It’s a 2 tooth gearbox but that shouldn’t matter

jak 08-24-2020 07:36 AM

There were some issues years ago, the 2 tooth sectors were a bit undersized. That may be your issue.

Marshall V. Daut 08-24-2020 08:28 AM

Check your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage.
Marshall

McMimmcs 08-24-2020 02:54 PM

instead of private messages share the information with everyone. If you don't it defeats the pu pose of the forum !

Bill G 08-24-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut (Post 1923618)
Check your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage.
Marshall

I am having a similar issue with my new Pitman arm. Do you have info on that? I have tried the vise method, but I was afraid of cracking it because I was afraid it was cast, which I now see is not the case.

1930-Pickup 08-24-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1923751)
instead of private messages share the information with everyone. If you don't it defeats the pu pose of the forum !

I'm curious myself. Whats so 'private' about helping this member with a tech issue? The only thing that comes to mind is the age old motivator...money.

1930-Pickup 08-24-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill G (Post 1923758)
I am having a similar issue with my new Pitman arm. Do you have info on that? I have tried the vise method, but I am afraid of cracking it because it is cast.

I'm pretty sure they're forged. I was wrong once before though, maybe.

Razkid 08-24-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup (Post 1923760)
I'm curious myself. Whats so 'private' about helping this member with a tech issue? The only thing that comes to mind is the age old motivator...money.

Marshall answered one of my questions using private message and no money was involved!:)

Ruth 08-24-2020 07:09 PM

Marshall never shares his knowledge on the forum. But I guess that is his right to not participate in the discussion so everyone may learn. Like someone mentioned it kind of defeats the purpose of a "Forum".

forum | ˈfôrəm |
noun (plural forums)
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

The Master Cylinder 08-24-2020 07:34 PM

I guess he doesn't like us Model A guys. I have seen him post on the 'T' and V-8 forums and the Swap Meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cw253748 (Post 1923486)
I will call the vender tomorrow...
Thanks
Chris

Chris, Let us know what you find out from the vendor. It would be nice to know and perhaps help someone else with a similar problem.

Jim/GA 08-24-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

This is a tough one.

I don't know about Marshall, but I have seen many people answer a question on this forum in the past and then get jumped all over by others about how they are wrong, they are ruining their car, etc. It makes a person not want to jump right up and answer, and be subjected to all that.

So maybe in the future people can post what they found as the SOLUTION to their problem, once it is fixed. I have seen a few of that sort of post here lately, which is good. Then others will have something to read that they know worked (at least for that person).

:cool:

CarlG 08-24-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

It's probably because they don't want someone like you jumping all over their a** with theoretical information.

aermotor 08-25-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup (Post 1923763)
I'm pretty sure they're forged. I was wrong once before though, maybe.

This is something that needs to be verified to see if it is forged. I read somewhere that the model A has over 150 forgings. If it is forged lay into it with the vice, it won't break.
John

katy 08-25-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

I have tried the vise method, but I am afraid of cracking it because it is cast.
Not likely that the arm would be made out of cast iron, that would be a major safety issue.

cw253748 08-25-2020 10:46 PM

Called the vender who could check the blue prints and give me the actual spec. Of the pitman arm and the new arm was inspect. I had to crank the pinch bolt a bit tighter and the pitman arm is now nice and tight to the shaft.

aermotor 08-26-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cw253748 (Post 1924266)
Called the vender who could check the blue prints and give me the actual spec. Of the pitman arm and the new arm was inspect. I had to crank the pinch bolt a bit tighter and the pitman arm is now nice and tight to the shaft.

So, did the vender say it was forged? If so that would give peace of mind that really torqueing the bolt won't hurt the arm.

John