The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Printable diagram for adjusting valve tappets (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290185)

alexiskai 11-15-2020 12:04 AM

Printable diagram for adjusting valve tappets

1 Attachment(s)
I've created a printable PDF with a diagram to assist with precise adjustment of valve clearances. This diagram is based on one created by FordBarn user Bob Johnson and shown in his video on valve adjusting.

As described on fordgarage.com, the tappet bolt spec is 24 threads per inch. This means that if you were to rotate the bolt 360° 24 times, it would change the clearance by 1".

24*360 = 8640° per 1-inch change.
Therefore to change the clearance .001", or 1/1000 inches, you need to rotate the bolt 8640/1000 = 8.64°.

The attached diagram shows lines marked on an arc in successive increments of 8.64°, each representing .001" difference in clearance from the next line.

To adjust valve tappets using this diagram, you'll need to print it out and attach it to something rigid, like cardstock or cardboard. Cut a hole to center the diagram on the tappet. Measure your clearances as described on fordgarage.com above, and then, with the diagram in place, hold the tappet with one wrench while moving the adjusting wrench through the appropriate number of lines to get the clearance you want. See Bob's video for a demonstration.

The PDF image is quite large in order to maximize the accuracy of the angles. You'll probably need to experiment with scaling it down to 80% or 60% to make it usable with your particular wrenches.

PalAl 11-15-2020 12:34 AM

Re: Printable diagram for adjusting valve tappets

This is very interesting, I have not seen this method before but will watch the video, print the image and a month or so down the road experiment. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to make the PDF.

J Franklin 11-15-2020 12:35 AM

Very interesting but I bet most would check with a feeler.

alexiskai 11-15-2020 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1952262)
Very interesting but I bet most would check with a feeler.

Not meant to obviate confirming with a feeler, merely reduce the risk that you overshoot or undershoot your target clearance.

Synchro909 11-15-2020 03:24 AM

I do similar. If one turn is 1/24th of an inch (0.042"), then one face on the hexagonal adjuster is 1/6th of that (0.007"). It doesn't take long to learn how much to move the spanner to get 1 or 2 thou movement. I always check with feelers after every adjustment.
(If the motor is out of the car, it doesn't take long but with it in the car, it is a bear with a RHD car.)

Jack Shaft 11-15-2020 01:58 PM

Some grind the lifter bores down..not a wise move.

katy 11-16-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1952279)
I do similar. If one turn is 1/24th of an inch (0.042"), then one face on the hexagonal adjuster is 1/6th of that (0.007"). It doesn't take long to learn how much to move the spanner to get 1 or 2 thou
movement. I always check with feelers after every adjustment.

Ditto

alexiskai 11-16-2020 12:35 PM

Don't worry, if you decide you don't need to use this diagram, I will not be offended.

David R. 11-16-2020 02:34 PM

I always just did it with two fielders gauges. One too big and one too small and adjust to go and not go. This one makes my head hurt.

Synchro909 11-16-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1952835)
Don't worry, if you decide you don't need to use this diagram, I will not be offended.

The two methods are very similar. They both use the pitch of the thread to work out how far to turn the adjustment. IMO, you have just taken it one step further with your diagram while I rely more on "feel".:)

alexiskai 11-16-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1952898)
The two methods are very similar. They both use the pitch of the thread to work out how far to turn the adjustment. IMO, you have just taken it one step further with your diagram while I rely more on "feel".:)

No worries. As I've learned, there will be at least five comments on any post:
  1. This thing is not important
  2. This thing is important and you're not going far enough
  3. I disagree: [says the same thing using different words]
  4. I need help with an unrelated problem
  5. I am reopening this thread after nine years to say that I agree with post #3

J Franklin 11-16-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1952904)
No worries. As I've learned, there will be at least five comments on any post:
  1. This thing is not important
  2. This thing is important and you're not going far enough
  3. I disagree: [says the same thing using different words]
  4. I need help with an unrelated problem
  5. I am reopening this thread after nine years to say that I agree with post #3

Does any good idea ever not get these same comments? If you would screen print this gauge on some tin, I'll bet you could sell them to all the Ford suppliers and make a mint!

alexiskai 11-16-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1952913)
Does any good idea ever not get these same comments? If you would screen print this gauge on some tin, I'll bet you could sell them to all the Ford suppliers and make a mint!

Would have to share the profits with Bob Johnson, it was his idea. I asked him where I could get one and he said he just made his, so then I had to make mine. I did it using an amazing website, blocklayer.com. Blew my mind that this sort of thing is free of charge for anyone to use. Check out their customizable degree wheel and timing tape.

Manuel 11-19-2020 02:26 AM

Hi alexiskai, would love to watch the video, but it appears the link may be broken?

JRShaw 11-19-2020 10:07 AM

I just noticed that the video link was non-responsive. Can we have another link -or- connection? Thank You!!

alexiskai 11-19-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1953752)
Hi alexiskai, would love to watch the video, but it appears the link may be broken?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRShaw (Post 1953837)
I just noticed that the video link was non-responsive. Can we have another link -or- connection? Thank You!!

Hi guys, it's a direct download link to Bob's video file, which is not a streaming video, it's an old-fashioned WMV (Windows Media) video. Here's the URL:
http://www.modelahouse.com/movies/valves.wmv

You can also go to the root page and click on "Valve adjusting": http://www.modelahouse.com/movies/index.html

Once the file downloads, most folks should have a media player on their Mac/PC that'll run it.

alexiskai 12-25-2020 08:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Following up, this is the setup that worked for me when adjusting my valve lash. I had to cut down the diagram a bit because of the size I printed it at; otherwise you can't get at the #1 and #8 valves. I spray-glued it to cardboard and then taped a thin wrench to the back. That wrench holds the tappet while the 1/2" wrench does the adjusting.

Big hammer 12-25-2020 10:48 PM

Thank you and Bob Johnson for sharing ! Soooo how did she run after adjusting the lash?

CA Victoria 12-25-2020 10:57 PM

Doing valves this weekend, thanks for sharing!

redmodelt 12-25-2020 11:22 PM

I learned this way of doing it from a post on the Model T Ford Club of America years ago, doing by thread count and degrees. Works very well. I also check with the feeler gauge to make sure it is good. Thanks for posting this. Great idea on the degrees gauge.