The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ANZAC Day - 25 April (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279992)

mercman from oz 04-25-2020 12:28 AM

ANZAC Day - 25 April

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1587792296
ANZAC Day - Australia - 25 April - Lest We Forget

Blownflatheaddeuce 04-25-2020 01:27 AM

Re: ANZAC Day - 25 April

3 Attachment(s)
Lest we Forget Mercman, may their memory be eternal.

kiwitony 04-25-2020 02:28 AM

A strange day with dawn parade at the end of our drive,neighbors at there's, a big explosion at 6 AM, don't know what it was ,maybe navy gun salute. Very moving day under current situation.

V8COOPMAN 04-25-2020 07:29 AM

Yup, I had to look it up, too! ANZAC is an acronym that stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. It was on April 25, 1915 that ANZACs landed at Gallipoli. DD

51504bat 04-25-2020 07:48 AM

Thanks to all the vets from down under. Australia and New Zealand have always been true allies of the US, something that many in this country aren't aware or acknowledge.

V8COOPMAN 04-25-2020 08:24 AM

Man, those folks surely were a long ways from home, especially for 1915! Showing my ignorance, I'm guessing one of those Gallipoli-types must'a really wrinkled somebody's panties? DD

koates 04-25-2020 08:27 AM

Yes we will always remember them. From the Boar war in South Africa to the present conflicts in the Middle East and all the wars in between. We tend to lump them all together but the original ANZACS were deployed in Gallipoli, Turkey in 1915. Heroes all. Neighbours all over our two countries stood in isolation in our driveways and verandas with candles or torches at 6AM (still dark) to pay our respects. No large services or marches were held this year. Very moving all the same. LEST WE FORGET. Regards, Kevin.

petehoovie 04-25-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koates (Post 1879012)
Yes we will always remember them. From the Boar war in South Africa to the present conflicts in the Middle East and all the wars in between. We tend to lump them all together but the original ANZACS were deployed in Gallipoli, Turkey in 1915. Heroes all. Neighbours all over our two countries stood in isolation in our driveways and verandas with candles or torches at 6AM (still dark) to pay our respects. No large services or marches were held this year. Very moving all the same. LEST WE FORGET. Regards, Kevin.

Unfortunately, the Brits used them for cannon fodder....

50fordcoupeman 04-25-2020 11:58 AM

As a vet, I salute them all---then and now!!

Fortunateson 04-25-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1879054)
Unfortunately, the Brits used them for cannon fodder....

British commanders "playing at" war. Tried that a little with Canadians. Look up how Vimy Ridge was finally taken. The Germans even tried to outmaneuver the Canadian "Red Devils" ( German term to describe Canadian troops due to the red patch on the uniforms). Unfortunately for the Germans the Canadians heard of their plan and commandeered transport to get to where the Germans were trying get to before they did. After the battle and capture the Canadians took out their red patches from their pockets to identify themselves...

mercman from oz 04-25-2020 08:59 PM

Fellow proud Australians
Turn your speakers up and view this video clip commemorating our hero’s ‘men & women’. Watch the integration of old footage with modern day

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfFFzFiiVYM?rel=0

Cool Kat with Hot Car 04-25-2020 09:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I visited Australia a few years ago to attend a World Congress on Art Deco. I found the Anzac memorial in Sydney while exploring the city. The Hall of Silence is the most moving space I have ever visited. I get emotional even as I write this, it was so powerful to me. God bless those who served and fell.

Talkwrench 04-25-2020 10:33 PM

Because of the social distancing all events were cancelled however Im sure the vast majority [certainly in our street] went to their driveways and waited for dawn and the sound of the last post, all with candles. It was great to see. My next door neighbor is a Vietnam vet and was very happy because in his words " when I take part in parades in town I dont really know anyone it was just good to be with people I know for a change"

51504bat 04-26-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercman from oz (Post 1879320)
Fellow proud Australians
Turn your speakers up and view this video clip commemorating our hero’s ‘men & women’. Watch the integration of old footage with modern day

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfFFzFiiVYM?rel=0

That was one of the best if not the best tributes I have ever seen to vets anywhere. THANK YOU for posting. And if its OK for a Yank to say:
Cheers, Mate, :)

51woodie 04-26-2020 01:04 PM

A few years ago, my wife and I were in Australia on a driving tour, and wanted to meet up with our friends from Wangaratta. They suggested we could meet up in Canberra, as it was on our planned route. Unplanned, we were in Canberra on ANZAC day. Thanks to our friends, we attended the War Museum and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was a very emotional experience, as the setting and displays brought home what tragedy war is. This museum and memorial is a must see for anyone who has a chance to visit, even if it means going out of your way. We have a great War Museum here in Ottawa, and it may be taken as disloyal, but I would have to say that the Museum in Canberra is a notch or two above.

Fortunateson. I don't know where you live, but you are right about how the British Officers treated the "Colonial" troops. I went to the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, and learned a lot of the history. Being there, viewing the Memorial with the surrounding battlefield, and visiting the war cemeteries was a very moving experience.

RalphM 04-26-2020 11:08 PM

God bless all the Australian and New Zealand troops, past and present. I just today found a Movie about the battle of Long Tan in Vietnam. I knew nothing about this, even though I read a lot of Vietnam war history. So I read some history of the battle, 108 allied troops against 2000-2500 RVN troops. The Aussies and New Zealanders lost 18 brave souls, but defeated the enemy.

Amazing courage!

FlatheadTed 04-27-2020 03:05 PM

Thank You Sir ,during the 2nd world war( Pacific war ) the USA had bases right up and down our country ,it was a combined effort to fight for the freedoms and ideals that the USA ,Auzys ,New Zealanders ,believe in in .Thank you all ,
Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1878996)
Thanks to all the vets from down under. Australia and New Zealand have always been true allies of the US, something that many in this country aren't aware or acknowledge.

Royal Ryser 04-27-2020 09:13 PM

I am humbled to call Australians and New Zealanders allies. We seem to think and act alike in many ways.