The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Script Battery Reproductions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768)

Charles Reese 07-02-2010 05:39 PM

Script Battery Reproductions

In shopping for a battery, have come across at least 3 vendors who advertise a script reproduction; Axion Battery (PA), Antique Auto Battery, and Restoration Battery (both in OH). All are priced competitively. Is this a matter of 3 vendors for the same product or 3 separate manufacturers? If different, what experiences (good/bad) have folks had?

peters180a/170b 07-02-2010 05:48 PM

Re: Script Battery Reproductions

I believe same company .I bought 2 from Antique Auto Battery Co. but when they answer the phone its Axion. With shipping from there to N.Y was $ 226.00 /Battery was $195.00 ..make sure you FULLY charge it.. slowly and on 6 volts.

Kurt in NJ 07-02-2010 07:28 PM

I have had 6 batterys in my car since 1970, 2 of them were the "script" kind, they lasted 2, and 3 years each,

Motorcraft -9 years
Delco-7 years
antique auto script-2 years
antique auto script-3 years
used interstate-5 years
Optima --bought in 97, still going strong

I was going to put the Optima in one of the script cases, but it is not a direct fit inside, the optima is too large.

None of the batterys were treated any different --except the Optima, since I have had it sometimes I drive the car out of the garage with the starter so the startup fumes don't go into the house.

Hopefully they have improved them, I was very dissapointed with the life of the script batterys I bought.

Steve Ciccalone 07-03-2010 06:39 AM

Antique Auto Battery made me a script battery with the posts reversed for an early car at the same price as their regular script batteries. Nice to deal with.

Scott NY 07-03-2010 12:57 PM

If you are not going to show the car I would not bother spending $200 for a script battery. I go my Tractor Supply store, I buy the heavy duty 6 volt battery, the last one I bought was about 2 years ago paid under $50.00 for it. I generally get 3 to 5 years out of them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-03-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott NY (Post 38464)
If you are not going to show the car I would not bother spending $200 for a script battery.

But he IS building his truck for fine-point judging.

msmaron 07-03-2010 01:59 PM

you might get lucky also and fine an original to use and not the repo

FL&WVMIKE 07-03-2010 06:19 PM

msmaron ........................
I have been lucky twice. About 35 years ago, a friend gave me a NOS genuine FORD case that he found in a battery rebuilding shop. He kept the "A" one and gave to me, the Model 40 one. Just this past year, I found a used one at a motor-cycle swap meet, of all places.
MIKE :)

msmaron 07-03-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 38607)
msmaron ........................
I have been lucky twice. About 35 years ago, a friend gave me a NOS genuine FORD case that he found in a battery rebuilding shop. Just this past year, I found a used one at a motor-cycle swap meet, of all places.

You BET you have been lucky!@@ wow that is great, do you still have the case or did you get it rebuilt?? let me know very interested as i have one also
:)

FL&WVMIKE 07-04-2010 12:04 PM

msmaron .......................
Yes, I do still have both battery cases. And, No, I have never had them rebuilt. I have been using the NOS one for holding mail, etc. for years. The second one, I bought for $10.00 ! Maybe, I can get a photo today, but it looks like rain,

peters180a/170b 07-04-2010 12:57 PM

There was a n.o.s. box forsale awhile back on ebay. I stopped at $350.00 because i called Antique Auto Battery Co. [ Axion] they said when it comes to that hard rubber over the years it come very brittle. If i bought it they said not to ship it ,better to hand deliver it. Can use new guts but will not say case will not crack after that.. [guess driving the car with all the ups and downs of the road].Besides you use the orginial case but the tops are different from the Orginial used and the repro,s. So what are you looking for 1/2 a point>>l.o.l. I had the orginial battery caps[corse thread] cut to fine thread to fit on the repro battery .Orginial caps have the FORD letters [raised].Repro,s are after the 1932 caps inlayed.

John LaVoy 07-04-2010 02:16 PM

We have been talking with Antique Battery and they are working on a Script battery that is similar to the Optima. They told me they would send me one if they get the bugs worked out.

Ron Geer 07-04-2010 04:22 PM

Chuck- There are only two manufacturers Axion who bought out the former New Castle Battery Co and Antique Auto Battery who Restoration Battery get their batters from. I have had good experience from the former New Castle Battery now Axion in 2003 and Antique Auto Battery who I purchased a battery from last year for my early 28 Phaeton.

Charles Reese 07-04-2010 04:35 PM

re: the filler caps ... is the model A the same as the late Model T cap? If not, a pix might help me in my search.. thanks to all!!!

msmaron 07-04-2010 06:53 PM

A&L Parts had the original caps for sale

peters180a/170b 07-04-2010 08:49 PM

Mark "NO" on A+L Parts...i seen the caps at French Lick in the box on the table. Those are later caps.The name" Ford" must be raised on the cap.There was a seller across and ,down from AL and he had 2 sets.I bought another set for $20.00 because a friend can cut them down from corse thread to fine thread for repro. battery. I'll try to post pictures of both caps side by side in a day or so...

msmaron 07-04-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peters180a/170b (Post 39227)
Mark "NO" on A+L Parts...i seen the caps at French Lick in the box on the table. Those are later caps.The name" Ford" must be raised on the cap.There was a seller across and ,down from AL and he had 2 sets.I bought another set for $20.00 because a friend can cut them down from corse thread to fine thread for repro. battery. I'll try to post pictures of both caps side by side in a day or so...

PETE my error, i bought the raised letter caps from Al about 2 years ago and i assumed he still had more.

FL&WVMIKE 07-05-2010 05:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
msmaron ..........................
This shows what battery cases that I have. The second might be a reproduction. Does anyone know ?
1. Photo shows the front of both,
2. Photo shows tops of both, (note the original is built heavier).
3. Photo shows original battery bottom.
4. Photo shows second battery bottom.
5. Photo shows date, cast in original bottom.
6. Photo shows "TYPE 40", cast in top center, meaning 1933-1934. The battery that my friend kept, had "TYPE A" cast here.
I will also post this in the V8 Section.
CLICK On PHOTO TWICE TO ENLARGE.

FL&WVMIKE 07-05-2010 06:29 PM

forever4 .........................
That is good news that the RICHARDSON case is original ! It must just be a later production. It is a good bit lighter. That means that both are original. I have had the dated case since the middle 60s. The story on it is, a friend of mine found two NOS FORD cases in a small battery re-building shop. He kept a NOS "A" case and gave me the NOS V8 case. He put the "A" case in his roadster, but sold the car. I've often wondered what happened to that battery.

Marco Tahtaras 07-05-2010 09:56 PM

http://www.abarnyard.com/roadster/images/bat-1.jpg

Th
is is a May 1931 case but NOT made by Richardson like most of those we find remaining today.

Link to more pics