The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need advice on a 4-barrel carb (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32510)

billwhite 03-26-2011 08:31 PM

Need advice on a 4-barrel carb

Have an offy 4-barrel intake for a 8ba flathead. What carb should I buy? A Holly 390, Autolite 2100 or what else?

Fordestes 03-26-2011 09:14 PM

Re: Need advice on a 4-barrel carb

I have used the 390 Holly and it done very well for me, I am building a wcfb,a rochester 4 jet, and thinking about experimenting with the 41oo 1.12 from a big block and installing it on a blown flathead, a 4 barrel is in my opinion the most trouble free and the performance has always been decent.I have used the 1953 version of the 452 Edelbrock and the Offenhauser 4 barrels both have done good.
good luck!
Fordestes

4dFord/SC 03-27-2011 06:51 AM

Holley 390 has worked well for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...C/608d7b50.jpg

flathead4rd 03-27-2011 08:20 AM

Carter WCFB. No adapters needed.

wga 03-27-2011 09:42 AM

The WCFB is the way to go. Small, looks correct, flows at 380CFM. Basic pic
of carb:

http://www.classicpreservation.com/Images/WCFB.jpg

TJ 03-27-2011 10:31 AM

I have used the Edelbrock 500 on two flatheads with very good results. I've had people tell me it's too much carb for the motor, but it worked fine. I got good mileage and the motor was very responsive off idle. I had nothing but problems with a 390 and would not use one again. I haven't used a WCFB, but when the four barrel manifold first came out the were designed for that carb. Guys I know that used them were very satisfied.

Fordestes 03-27-2011 11:14 PM

too those that have rebuilt the w.c.f.b, what do I need to pay specific attention to,it shure looks like a nightmare inside with all them jets and metering rods I found a little info on them but if it can be fouled up I'm
most likely the one to find out first hand.
Thanks!
Fordestes

Charlie ny 03-28-2011 06:31 AM

Bill,
I'm running a '52 Olds Rochester 4 brl on an ancient Fenton
intake. The Roch is a simpler carb than the Carter but has the same vintage
look. No doubt the Carter is probably a more efficient carb. I'm a throw
back guy.....everyone else in my crowd is using the Holley 390 out of
the box.
Charlie ny

jdl 03-28-2011 06:54 AM

Here is a manual for the Carter WCFB if you want to rebuild it.

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t...fb-service.pdf

Fordestes 03-28-2011 08:18 PM

Thanks jdl, The rebuild manual is above and beyond what I expected to ever see.
with this it should be a snap.
Thanks !
Fordestes

jdl 03-28-2011 08:22 PM

You are welcome..good luck on your projects.

Flat Ernie 03-29-2011 05:19 AM

Another excellent vintage carb that's harder to find is the Stromberg Aeroquad - only used for a few years on Buicks (I think). I don't know flow, but it's comparable to the Carter.

If you can, get the WCFB for a smaller engine like a 265/283 Chevy - it will be better jetted and sized (the main body is slightly different from model to model) for a flathead than a big Buick or Cadillac.

Walt Dupont--Me. 03-29-2011 08:52 AM

Back in the early 50's a friend had a 40 Merc coupe with a 276 and a used an early Buick Stromberg 4bbl carb. It had Zeffrer gears in trans and 3:54 rear. You could drive for weeks in 2nd gear. I remember driving it in 2nd. on a long streach of road, kept pushing the gas peddle down slowly and suddenly the the 4bbl opened and it felt like the front end lifted right up. It also had a chopped top with about a 6in. windsheild. What a fun car to drive. Walt

Instepdrive 01-05-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 182597)
I have used the Edelbrock 500 on two flatheads with very good results. I've had people tell me it's too much carb for the motor, but it worked fine. I got good mileage and the motor was very responsive off idle. I had nothing but problems with a 390 and would not use one again. I haven't used a WCFB, but when the four barrel manifold first came out the were designed for that carb. Guys I know that used them were very satisfied.

I have a 40 with 2 - Edelbrock 94s with a high rise manifold on a 53 flathead V8. I cannot solve the excessive gas fume problem in my garage even after rebuilding both carbs. Any suggestions on replacing the manifold and carbs would be greatly appreciated.

Andy 01-05-2014 11:22 AM

I am using WCFB's on two engines. They are off 54 Buicks. I have one on a 241 Dodge hemi and one on a 276 59A engine. Both give great power,drivability and economy. I have not changed the jetting on either. I did plug some vac. leaks/ports. The carbs are ideal as they are small base and have flow control flappers on the secondaries. No bog. I had a 56 Cad on one before and it was terrible. I was told that this carb was the carb of choice back in the day for flatheads. They sure work for me.

Barn Junk 01-05-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Ernie (Post 183625)
Another excellent vintage carb that's harder to find is the Stromberg Aeroquad - only used for a few years on Buicks (I think). I don't know flow, but it's comparable to the Carter.

If you can, get the WCFB for a smaller engine like a 265/283 Chevy - it will be better jetted and sized (the main body is slightly different from model to model) for a flathead than a big Buick or Cadillac.

The Chevy used the wider mounting bolt pattern and you need an adapter to put on a vintage flathead manifold. A better choice but a little harder to find is the a Dodge WCFB used on the little red ram hemis and only had about 241 cubic inches with a small bolt pattern.

oldskool 01-05-2014 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
52 olds carter wcfb..edelbrock manifold , throttle on passenger side ,auto choke,no adapter,generator in stock location,this will be going on my 41 w/ 50 merc engine this spring...:D

Ol' Ron 01-05-2014 10:43 PM

I like the erly Wafb my self, but it's hard to tune, The Edelbrock 500 is my favirite. Don't think much of the 390, run rich. Just mu opinion.

coupe5w36 01-06-2014 04:15 AM

I've been running an Edelbrock 500 on a basically stock 8BA for a couple of years & love it. Set it up using an exhaust gas analyser but basically drive on the primaries so not too thirsty!! Manual choke and instant starting from cold. If I go a week without driving it (rarely happens!) I need to prime the carb as float bowls drain. I'm using an electric fuel pump so not an issue.

Instepdrive 02-27-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC (Post 182493)

I am leaning toward switching my 2 - Edelbrock 94s to a Holley 4 barrel manual choke on my 53 flathead V8. Would you suggest I go to Speedway for the parts?

I plan on driving my 40 as much as I can. Hopefully y
The Hooel won't have the gas fumes that the 2 - 94s are leaking.