The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lub on window crank mech (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143837)

farmputzer 07-07-2014 06:45 PM

Lub on window crank mech

Should there be lubrication in the window crank mechanism, specifically the little cup and spring that hold the window in whatever position you leave it? If lub is recommended, what type?

1930artdeco 07-07-2014 06:53 PM

Re: Lub on window crank mech

I just lubed mine with white lithium grease and boy did it make a difference.

Mike

Mitch//pa 07-07-2014 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i dont really use white lithium on anything anymore, thats old school. it dries up to easily and becomes ineffective. for brakes and things i use synthetic greases but to answer your question a good product for the window regulator is garage door track and chain lube available at Home Depot or lowes.

Tom Wesenberg 07-07-2014 07:15 PM

I agree with Mitch about the white lithium grease and quit using it over 10 years ago.

I use Mystik JT-6 High Temp for almost everything that I grease.

I bought a tube of door lube in a round stick, and that made my Studebaker doors close much better. It might be bees wax, I'm not sure, but it's great for latches and won't grease your clothing.

farmputzer 07-07-2014 09:55 PM

So are you saying the cup and spring should be lubricated?

Tom Wesenberg 07-07-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmputzer (Post 906740)
So are you saying the cup and spring should be lubricated?

If it moves, I lube it. There is a spring lock inside the cup and I doubt you will get grease inside it, but oil will probably work it's way in. Whether this will defeat the purpose of the locking spring, I can not say. The locking spring is to hold the window in place until the handle is moved and releases the spring tension a little.

Mitch//pa 07-07-2014 10:19 PM

the main things i lube is the roller track on the window and the regulator teeth.

Tom Wesenberg 07-07-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 906752)
the main things i lube is the roller track on the window and the regulator teeth.

That's basically what I lube also. If the window glass is tight in the channel I might spray silicone in the side channels.

Mitch//pa 07-07-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 906754)
That's basically what I lube also. If the window glass is tight in the channel I might spray silicone in the side channels.

yepper i always spray silicone also on the runs

Quigley1930 07-08-2014 10:53 AM

My wife could hardly raise the window in my coupe. After greasing the track and gears works like a charm. As Tom says if it moves grease it!

Sewall Tyler