The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1st model a brake job (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301750)

griffin 07-28-2021 11:00 AM

1st model a brake job

1 Attachment(s)
I've done brake jobs and adjustments on vintage buicks, Cadillacs and other cars with mechanical brakes. It seems that the model a will be a whole different experience.

Right out of the gate, someone has adjusted the rods all the way in to compensate for the slop in the lever. Both fronts are exactly the same. Lever sits about negative 10 degrees at rest.

No wonder this car wouldn't stop when going over 5 mph.

chrs1961815 07-28-2021 11:17 AM

Re: 1st model a brake job

Yes that is a big red flag. Are you going over the whole system?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-28-2021 11:17 AM

Well, you are definitely off to a good start on your diagnosis. Model-A brakes are a very adequate system when all components are within specification, ...however therein lies the problem for most mechanics as they do not do a through rebuilding of the system.

I see this is your first post on the Model-A side after all of these years of being here. So glad you are here posting now!

I am guessing by 'north of Houston', you are likely near the Spring or Conroe area. If you are not familiar with them, there is a good club in your area named the Piney Woods Model-A club. Hopefully you are already involved with them and have met some guys from that club who may be able to assist you on rebuilding your brakes. Ironically, my father and a couple other guys founded the Greater Houston Model-A club about 55 years ago. I have many good memories as a kid participating in that club during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

griffin 07-28-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 2040397)
Yes that is a big red flag. Are you going over the whole system?

My initial hopes was that this would be a quick adjustment. Not so, I will go over the entire system as this car will be a driver and must be right.

griffin 07-28-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2040398)
Well, you are definitely off to a good start on your diagnosis. Model-A brakes are a very adequate system when all components are within specification, ...however therein lies the problem for most mechanics as they do not do a through rebuilding of the system.

I see this is your first post on the Model-A side after all of these years of being here. So glad you are here posting now!

I am guessing by 'north of Houston', you are likely near the Spring or Conroe area. If you are not familiar with them, there is a good club in your area named the Piney Woods Model-A club. Hopefully you are already involved with them and have met some guys from that club who may be able to assist you on rebuilding your brakes. Ironically, my father and a couple other guys founded the Greater Houston Model-A club about 55 years ago. I have many good memories as a kid participating in that club during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I just signed back up with Piney Woods last week. I am actually near Tomball, west of Spring.

As this car will be a driver, the brakes must be right.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-28-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin (Post 2040404)
I just signed back up with Piney Woods last week. I am actually near Tomball, west of Spring.

As this car will be a driver, the brakes must be right.

I grew up on the opposite side of Houston in the Pasadena area. The Tomball I remember does not look like the Tomball area now!! :eek:

griffin 07-29-2021 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More fun. I drove this car Friday and was hard braking which resulted in only marginally slowing the car, looking at the shoes and drums, it is evident that the brake system was on vacation. It looks like someone in the past was using the parking brake for daily duty.

chrs1961815 07-29-2021 01:13 PM

Looks like your lugs are welded onto the hub. You will have to get different hubs.

griffin 07-29-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 2040762)
Looks like your lugs are welded onto the hub. You will have to get different hubs.

Yep, the deeper I get into the brakes, the worse it gets. Hope the money tree has deep roots! hahaha

2935ford 07-30-2021 09:37 AM

I just finished doing what you are now doing.
What some of the previous owners did with these cars is either laughable or down right scary......! :(