The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   rebuilding model a shocks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288673)

keyswitch1 10-14-2020 04:13 PM

rebuilding model a shocks

Has any body rebuilt there own shocks ? What are the secrets ?? Thank you in advance

Oldbluoval 10-14-2020 04:32 PM

Re: rebuilding model a shocks

I used to build them......few things
A. Start with something that has a fighting chance of being a viable shock after rebuilding.
Off center shocks and those that open up full of rust won’t do it.
B. Get them apart. Often heat is required. It is good to have a heavy strap wrench and
spanner wrench for lock ring.
C. Makes mounting jig for the shock body. A lot of pressure is often required to get the
covers and lock ring off
D. Don’t mix parts. Put all the same parts back to that shock
E. When apart clean thoroughly. There are two vent plugs in the reservoir cover inside.
Tap those out clean veins and replace.
F. Assemble and fill

I’m sure this is far from complete. Getting past A &B will be a challenge!

GRutter 10-14-2020 05:42 PM

Shocks that are loose and the arms wobbly aren't good candidates for a rebuild.
As stated above.. getting them apart can be a challenge.

rotorwrench 10-14-2020 06:32 PM

1st rule is that if they look like junk, they usually are. Finding rebuildable cores is not as easy as it once was.

Find the best cores you can and send them to someone that already has tried and true tools to do the job. There are still several folks that rebuild them. They will tell you pretty quick if your cores won't cost more than Bill Stipes new ones to overhaul.

Buy new ones from Stipe or one of the parts sources that supplies them. If he isn't making any then your stuck with finding rebuildable cores.

Good Luck. You'll need it.

700rpm 10-14-2020 10:03 PM

Buy a set of Stipes. Save yourself a lot of trouble, work, and frustration.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-15-2020 08:38 AM

1st you need to I.D. your shocks - Are they OEM Ford supplied shocks or are they aftermarket? Most after markets are not rebuildable . The exception are Stipes shocks. There were some aftermarkets sold out of Chicago quite a few years back that did not last long, and are not rebuildable.

Then determine if the Shocks you have are rebuildable. Good advice above.

I had a box of rusty bad shape shocks, wire wheeled them off so I could ID which ones were AC or CW, sent the best 8 ones to John Holland in Ohio, no known website or email: John Holland (330-483-3896), and he was able to rebuild 4 of them. Does excellent work, currently I do not know if he is still doing them, but he knows what he is doing. Years later mine have 10,000 miles on them are working like new. If you call him he will tell you how to ID aftermarket vs good, how to determine which shocks are candidates for restoration, and other details.

daren007 10-15-2020 09:47 AM

It can be done.

700rpm 10-15-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1941790)
1st you need to I.D. your shocks - Are they OEM Ford supplied shocks or are they aftermarket? Most after markets are not rebuildable . The exception are Stipes shocks. There were some aftermarkets sold out of Chicago quite a few years back that did not last long, and are not rebuildable.

Then determine if the Shocks you have are rebuildable. Good advice above.

I had a box of rusty bad shape shocks, wire wheeled them off so I could ID which ones were AC or CW, sent the best 8 ones to John Holland in Ohio, no known website or email: John Holland (330-483-3896), and he was able to rebuild 4 of them. Does excellent work, currently I do not know if he is still doing them, but he knows what he is doing. Years later mine have 10,000 miles on them are working like new. If you call him he will tell you how to ID aftermarket vs good, how to determine which shocks are candidates for restoration, and other details.

I also have had Holland shocks. They are very well done.