The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1937 Shocks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7588)

Robert/Texas 07-11-2010 04:15 PM

1937 Shocks

My '37 Fordor Touring Sedan has just over 59,000 miles on it and I have some questions.

The shocks are obviously not working. The car drives and handles well on the highway, but takes bumps badly. I have most of the old service records but none indicate they have been replaced or that fluid has ever been added to them. The outside of the shocks appear to be original (rusty but not pitted), show no sign of leakage and the shock arms look good. I want to add fluid but am concerned with compatibility with whatever may be in them. I know that Ford had a part number for this fluid but have no idea what the fluid actually was. All advice will be appreciated.

I seriously doubt that these shocks will work after 72 years and 59,000 miles. I have noted that some vendors carry new front shocks but not the rears. Anyway, I'd prefer to get all four of them rebuilt. As the car is so original, I won't consider tube shocks or any others. Again, all advice will be appreciated.

hotcoupe 07-11-2010 04:50 PM

Re: 1937 Shocks

i suggest you contact bill wzorek, he is a reputable, honest shock re-builder. should be listed on this site.

jack39nyc 07-11-2010 07:22 PM

My 39 came with no rear shocks Bill Wzorek had what I needed shocks plus arms the links I got at early V8 upstate NY. Both venders I like dealing with

Ron in AZ 07-11-2010 08:15 PM

I just took all of the shocks off my 37' Tudor Touring and they all work great, I moved the ajusting screw just a little and it made a big differance. They were dry on the out side and a little surface rust and the car has 75K on it. You may check yours out before you do any thing. These old cars don't ride like the new ones. Take off the link and move them up and down and try to ajust them ....you may be surprised.
Ron in Az

Robert/Texas 07-12-2010 03:50 PM

Thanks Ron. What you said suprises/amazes me and I'm going to try what you did as soon as my 76 year old back recovers enough that I can crawl under the car again.

Thanks Hotcoupe and Jack. I'll contact Bill Wzorek if the above fails.

jerry grayson 07-12-2010 05:07 PM

The Ford shocks came with castor oil in them Ford part number 8A-19541-A or the preceding part number. This stuff gets thick after 50 plus years. If you wish to add fluid to your shocks, you can get castor oil at the DRUG STORE!! Do not add jack oil or other similar fluid.
Your best bet may be a rebuild by Bill Wzorek.
Don't expect your 37 Ford to take bumps like a modern car even if your shocks are perfect. All shocks do is slow down rebound, they don't soften the ride.

Kurt in NJ 07-12-2010 05:13 PM

Also there should be a fitting in the center bolt of the springs, if the spring leaves are dry you will have a stiff ride.

Fe26 07-12-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry grayson (Post 43600)
The Ford shocks came with castor oil in them Ford part number 8A-19541-A or the preceding part number. This stuff gets thick after 50 plus years. If you wish to add fluid to your shocks, you can get castor oil at the DRUG STORE!! Do not add jack oil or other similar fluid.
Your best bet may be a rebuild by Bill Wzorek.
Don't expect your 37 Ford to take bumps like a modern car even if your shocks are perfect. All shocks do is slow down rebound, they don't soften the ride.

I'm curious regarding the type of fluid, does the Part Number say Castor Oil?
I have always believed that Glycerine was the fluid used.

Robert/Texas 07-12-2010 09:30 PM

The springs have grease oozing out of them. The car appears over greased and looks like no one ever wiped it off of anything but the grease nipples. It is a combination of thick old hardened grease and fresher grease. One of my projects is to clean this mess up. The ride is not at all stiff, it rides nicely but bounces severely when hitting a bump. My '34 roadster has good shocks and handles the same bumps much better.

I have also heard of both glycerine and castor oil being used. If castor oil is correct, I would be inclined to use brake fluid as I believe that is it's main component. If glycerine is correct I don't know how I'd find any. Perhaps Bill Wzorek can advise.

Ron in AZ 07-13-2010 12:03 AM

Robert, I was on a website or looking at a catalog the other day and they had shock oil listed for sale.
I will try to find it again incase you need it.
Ron

Robert/Texas 07-13-2010 07:32 PM

Thanks again to everyone. I discovered today that the shocks are dry and the the shafts are a little wobbly. I just spoke to Bill Wrozek and I am sending them to him for rebuilding.

Fe26 07-14-2010 06:53 PM

Just for anyone who's interested information, Glycerine can be purchased from any Pharmacy (Drugstore).