The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   KR Wilson Groover (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281586)

Downunder Rob 05-25-2020 05:42 PM

KR Wilson Groover

Hi All
i have a KR Wilson Brearing Grooving tool.
It is missing the cutter. i was wondering if anyone could give me any details on the cutter.
Thanks
Rob

1930 coupe 05-25-2020 07:06 PM

Re: KR Wilson Groover

1 Attachment(s)
does this help any,
The ring with the slot is for setting the cutter to maximum depth

briphaeton 05-25-2020 07:45 PM

You make your own cutter out of some 1/4 high speed steel stock. Most machine tool shop sell. It will need to be shaped using a grinder to match the groove needed.

Downunder Rob 05-27-2020 08:02 PM

thanks 1930 Coupe.
would you have a close up picture of the cutter.

Regards
Rob

1930 coupe 05-27-2020 09:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It is a very unusual cutter, it just pushes in and must be free to rotate. A spring clip keeps it from falling out.

Synchro909 05-27-2020 10:54 PM

I just use the small ball burr that comes with a Dremel kit. With a steady hand, the results are fine. It's dark in there so the oil can't see the difference!!

Downunder Rob 05-28-2020 12:27 AM

Thankyou 1930 Coupe
Seeing the cutter now makes sense.
As i have the jigs i may as well use them.
the guide channel on mine has been damaged so i will need to repair them first.
i assume someone tried to put a standard cutter in it with out the front guide and it took a chunk out of the guide.
i will make a drawing of the cutter for future reference.

thanks again
Rob

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-28-2020 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 1892773)
It is a very unusual cutter, it just pushes in and must be free to rotate. A spring clip keeps it from falling out.

Interesting because my original cutters did not look like that. I will go down and take a picture when I have a moment.

briphaeton 05-28-2020 12:46 PM

Thanks Terry.
Easily made made from high speed round stock, probably 5/16? Notice the relief angles on top and sides. Machinist call them form tools and sharpen using a abrasive honing stone.

rotorwrench 05-28-2020 05:22 PM

The material that is being cut has to go somewhere. It usually tries to curl up. The one pictured in post #5 doesn't seem to allow for that. I think someone was looking for a way to control the cut somehow but I'm not sure how it would work or if it would even work at all.

1930 coupe 05-28-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1893089)
The material that is being cut has to go somewhere. It usually tries to curl up. The one pictured in post #5 doesn't seem to allow for that. I think someone was looking for a way to control the cut somehow but I'm not sure how it would work or if it would even work at all.

I have used it many times and it works great and makes a very nice grove.
Are you saying that I need to stop using it and put it in the trash

jetmek 05-29-2020 10:05 AM

Without going to look at it it im pretty sure mine has a cemented carbide tip. Maybe thats why the odd shape on the one shown

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-29-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetmek (Post 1893309)
Without going to look at it it im pretty sure mine has a cemented carbide tip. Maybe thats why the odd shape on the one shown

For "ripping" thru soft metal at a snail's pace, what would the advantage of carbide be? I would think it would have been an unnecessary waste of money. Am I missing something??

rotorwrench 05-29-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 1893099)
I have used it many times and it works great and makes a very nice grove.
Are you saying that I need to stop using it and put it in the trash

I just haven't seen how a bit like that will push out the cuttings. I didn't say it wouldn't work, I just can't visualize what the cuttings are going to do. On the one in Brent's info, I can predict what the cuttings are going to do. If it works without balling material up then that's great.

If you think I inferred your last statement above in my last statement on post #10 then you are reading in something that isn't there.

1930 coupe 05-29-2020 11:40 AM

I am happy and OK, just did not want other people to get confused.

If you tried to hog it through with one heavy cut, then it might do like you said.
I take 3 or 4 light cuts and it works great.

jetmek 05-29-2020 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 431771. Def a brazed on tip and another broken one i found. Figured some tried to salvage a broken on by grinding it like that. Are they home made? Possibly