The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Downtown before Henry Ford changed the world (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190287)

Brianfrench65 02-27-2016 02:23 PM

Downtown before Henry Ford changed the world

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this photograph, from the early days

bambooboy 02-27-2016 02:55 PM

Re: Downtown before Henry Ford changed the world

3 signs I can read on left looking,other side of street,shingle(lawyer?) some kind of store behind it. maybe someone here can blow up.open ditch,storm water drain?.interesting photo brian,thanks

DougVieyra 02-27-2016 03:10 PM

As almost everyone knows, Deadwood, S.D., was way ahead of it's time. In the bottom center of the photo, one can see an early subway system under construction.

bambooboy 02-27-2016 07:11 PM

good eye doug:)

1929 Tudor 02-27-2016 09:59 PM

Great photo of DW, thanks for posting!

Tom Wesenberg 02-28-2016 10:46 AM

A subway in Deadwood? Are you kidding? I was wondering if that was some kind of drainage system?

The closest wagon still has the name on it, but it's hard to make out. Sure looks like it might say STUDEBAKER though. They were after all the world's largest wagon maker.

BTW, speaking of how Henry Ford changed things, the peak railroad passenger service was about 1923, which was also the peak year for Model T production and sales. Henry's cars certainly didn't do rail passenger service any favors.

DougVieyra 02-28-2016 10:56 AM

Tom Wesenberg: "A subway in Deadwood? Are you kidding?"

No Tom, I am not kidding ! The famous Cody, Wyoming to Many-Apples, Minn. subway system went right through Deadwood South Dakota. At the time is was quite a marvel. As you are living in Many-Apples (since renamed Minneapolis) I am quite surprised that you have never heard of it.

Brianfrench65 02-28-2016 11:00 AM

Tom; very interesting information, and informative.

Thank you for your post.

Thank You; Brian

31 Model A 02-28-2016 03:41 PM

I was in Deadwood about seven years ago and it hadn't changed much, place was so crowded, couldn't walk down the sidewalk, find a place to sit down or even hear what anyone was saying......did I mention Sturgis had just ended and everyone on two wheels decided to spend that weekend in Deadwood. :( But, it's part of our very interesting History and I can say, I had a beer where Bill Hickok was gunned down.

CWilson 02-28-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambooboy (Post 1249257)
3 signs I can read on left looking,other side of street,shingle(lawyer?) some kind of store behind it. maybe someone here can blow up.open ditch,storm water drain?.interesting photo brian,thanks

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/z...psmrbgk6p9.jpg

31 Model A 02-28-2016 04:51 PM

St Louis Lager Beer!!!! Budweiser, Stag, Falstaff or some other watered down brew????

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWilson (Post 1249829)

Cool Hand Lurker 02-28-2016 06:11 PM

Deadwood City, Main Street, the summer of 1877. The Wyoming Store occupies the narrow 20’ frontage building located two doors down from Shingle’s Saloon. Next, is the Deadwood Theatre with its 30’ frontage and dark-colored facade.
– Courtesy of the Centennial Archives, Deadwood Public Library –