The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   51 custom diff cover gasket, need help!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287106)

Grapevine1 09-12-2020 01:27 PM

51 custom diff cover gasket, need help!!

Hey guys, my rear diff is leaking around the gasket and I’m trying to take the cover off to repair it. I’ve pulled the driveshaft and took all the nuts off the flange bolts, but can’t get it to split, my question is, do I need to remove the yoke at the diff? I’ve noticed there’s a big nut holding it on, or is there anything else I need to do or be cautious about when I take it apart? I don’t have any knowledge about these diffs and I can’t find any information.

I basically need the steps needed to replace the rear diff gasket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

tubman 09-12-2020 01:37 PM

Re: 51 custom diff cover gasket, need help!!

Maybe a stupid question, but have you pulled the axles? BTW, car or station wagon?

Grapevine1 09-12-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1930710)
Maybe a stupid question, but have you pulled the axles? BTW, car or station wagon?

No haven’t pulled the axles, do I need to? It is a car

51 MERC-CT 09-12-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grapevine1 (Post 1930717)
No haven’t pulled the axles, do I need to? It is a car

Yep, if it does not have a rear differential cover, generally the axles have to be removed.

Grapevine1 09-12-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1930719)
Yep, if it does not have a rear differential cover, generally the axles have to be removed.

Okay thanks, I have the l side brakes and drum off and I took the 4 bolts out that hold the axle in, but when I pull on the axle it won’t budge, am I missing something?

Bob C 09-12-2020 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grapevine1 (Post 1930732)
Okay thanks, I have the l side brakes and drum off and I took the 4 bolts out that hold the axle in, but when I pull on the axle it won’t budge, am I missing something?

Yup, a slide hammer.

tubman 09-12-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1930736)
Yup, a slide hammer.

Those "bridge" looking things in the lower right are specifically intended for this exact purpose. You can usually rent one at an "Autozone" or similar parts store.

In a pinch you really don't need one. The last one I did involved a short length of chain bolted to a couple of wheel studs, a length of pipe, and a concrete block (I was a lot younger then).

tubman 09-12-2020 03:21 PM

Ooops, double post. Sorry.

Aarongriffey 09-12-2020 05:08 PM

Before you yank an axle out with a chain you really should hook up another chain to the rear spring or something so that when the outer axle bearing brakes loose the axle flange doesn’t get you.
I was jerking on one with the car three feet up and when the axle came out it got me in the forehead. Knocked me out. Still have dent in my skull from a lug stud.

Zeke3 09-12-2020 05:23 PM

I have used a brake drum as a slide hammer to pull rear axles out. Turn the drum around backwards and screw the lug nuts on about three turns, flat side toward the drum. You now have a slide hammer. Slam it a few times and the axles usually pop loose.

Grapevine1 09-12-2020 05:58 PM

Thanks everybody for the help I ended up getting it out by hooking a ratchet strap to my nearby truck and giving her a few taps with a hammer. Not real professional, but it worked. I had no idea how these were assembled, this is my first time taking one apart, I understand now, but I appreciate everyone’s input!!

grumppyoldman 09-12-2020 11:08 PM

Have someone help you with pulling the thing out, it is HEAVY and hard to handle by yourself. Don't ask me how I know. Al

34PKUP 09-13-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumppyoldman (Post 1930908)
Have someone help you with pulling the thing out, it is HEAVY and hard to handle by yourself. Don't ask me how I know. Al

Axles are heavy???

aussie merc 09-13-2020 12:49 AM

WARNING now you got the axles out mark the top of the diff unit so you refit it correctly some will go in upside down [ caved the rear of the car in punched the workbench thru the garage wall and still had to deal with the embarrassment and my old man rolling around laughing till he realized it was his garage but he couldn't wait to tell all his mates

Grapevine1 09-13-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumppyoldman (Post 1930908)

Yes haha I thought I was going to break my wrist pulling it out!