The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   C69A block (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285002)

Lawrie 08-03-2020 01:47 AM

C69A block

I have made a blue on my spare engine, Didn't,t check the wall thickness before I bored it (3-3125),Turns out one cylinder has a part of the wall at .070 thick, this made a squeak at idle that I think was the bore letting the comp past,
So, I sort through my spare blocks and find one that looks good, Its a C69A and has the oblong water passages above the valves like an 8ba, instead of the usual small round ones, is this a Canadian only thing?
Also what do you use to mount the engine stay rods to if you use an 8ba block in an early car.
Thanks Lawrie

Brian 08-03-2020 02:25 AM

Re: C69A block

Lawrie, The C69A is the block to use for big bores; has real thick cyl walls. Yes, Canadian only engine. Originally, had shell rod bearings [double hole crankshaft], valve rotators, hard valve seats on ex only.

Lawrie 08-03-2020 03:08 AM

Brian ,you are a mine of info.
And yes they are thick, most on this one around.247 thick.
I also have looked at sleaving the one with the .070 wall and that looks like a doable job for me.
Lawrie

Fairlane500 08-05-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1916129)
Lawrie, The C69A is the block to use for big bores; has real thick cyl walls. Yes, Canadian only engine. Originally, had shell rod bearings [double hole crankshaft], valve rotators, hard valve seats on ex only.

No Pan Rail plugs either which I like, One less place to leak, 8BA style top deck centre holes.

Graeme / New Zealand 08-07-2020 01:20 AM

Had one in my previous 47 cpe. they are good blocks.

GB

Brian 08-07-2020 03:06 AM

"they are good blocks"

They are good blocks if you want to bore big, on account of their thick cyl walls. However, I feel the iron they are cast from is not of the same high quality as pre war blocks.
I make this statement because the C69A iron certainly doesn't weld the same as the early blocks. I've welded a few blocks over the years.....

Ideucev8 08-07-2020 08:42 AM

Lawrie, Re engine stay rods to 8ba. I have done this a few times over the last 50 or so years to 35s 36s & just done a 32.
The bottom two bolts holding the 8ba bellhousing to the block are inline with the stay rods. on the 32 I have just done I stood the block, back end up on my Bridgeport & drilled the holes out to 7/17" & made a tool to spot face the front side of the holes. I made a new pair of stay rods the correct length that just look like the originals On the 35s & 36s I just machined a a piece to fit the block & welded it to the back part of the original rods. The 8ba block & bellhousing are thicker than the stay rod lug on the early blocks & the length from the back of the bellhousing to the chassis mounting is different.
Phil.

KiWinUS 08-07-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ideucev8 (Post 1917548)
Lawrie, Re engine stay rods to 8ba. I have done this a few times over the last 50 or so years to 35s 36s & just done a 32.
The bottom two bolts holding the 8ba bellhousing to the block are inline with the stay rods. on the 32 I have just done I stood the block, back end up on my Bridgeport & drilled the holes out to 7/17" & made a tool to spot face the front side of the holes. I made a new pair of stay rods the correct length that just look like the originals On the 35s & 36s I just machined a a piece to fit the block & welded it to the back part of the original rods. The 8ba block & bellhousing are thicker than the stay rod lug on the early blocks & the length from the back of the bellhousing to the chassis mounting is different.
Phil.

Kaikoura now there's a great place, been a long time since I passed through there. Now I'm hungry for crayfish.
Cheers
Tony

Graeme / New Zealand 08-07-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1917484)
"they are good blocks"

They are good blocks if you want to bore big, on account of their thick cyl walls. However, I feel the iron they are cast from is not of the same high quality as pre war blocks.
I make this statement because the C69A iron certainly doesn't weld the same as the early blocks. I've welded a few blocks over the years.....

I have a Canadian 99A block stashed at my sisters place under a tarp. Before I covered it I loaded it with marine grease

GB

Fairlane500 08-10-2020 07:44 PM

Geez all the kiwis are in this thread! Go the C69A