The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   33/34 sedan roof (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287849)

Straightpipes 09-27-2020 09:21 PM

33/34 sedan roof

I have a sedan with a missing roof and am gathering parts. I have the tack strip. The bows are in it. I can't find the tack channel anywhere. I have about half of it for comparison. Does anyone know who makes it or a substitute material. Or maybe have pieces I can use. Thanks, Butch

cas3 09-27-2020 09:30 PM

Re: 33/34 sedan roof

the new stuff available is aluminum, and sold in straight pieces that you need to have great skill and patience to bend the corners. there are several threads here if you search. then, to me, it looks like trim on a boat when you're done. i have some extras for my tudor, let me check tomorrow to see that i dont sell myself short, and maybe with you're half, and my half, we have a set

deuce lover 09-28-2020 02:07 AM

I think he's talking about the channel which is stamped as part of the roof.He says he has the tack strip.Not available.It has to be formed and welded in or find a donor body. As always pictures help .

cas3 09-28-2020 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah, now i'm confused, which piece are we talking about? i consider the part on the left the tack strip, and the smaller part on the right the trim strip. my own perhaps incorrect terms

deuce lover 09-28-2020 10:51 AM

The one on the right is the tack strip.Its tacked onto the body after the fabric is installed.

DavidG 09-28-2020 12:43 PM

The distinction is how the two were original attached. The wider, deeper channel on the left was originally riveted in place and the material that held fast the tacks was inserted into that channel. The channel on the right was added after the outer top material was tacked in place to the channel on the left and trimmed. It was tacked in place over the installed top material and a formed rubber bead was inserted to cover up the heads of the tacks used to attach it.

Straightpipes 09-28-2020 07:28 PM

Yes, the [pieces I need is the wide channel that was originally riveted? to the roof. The tack material goes into it. I have the rear corners and the left front corner. I am thinking fabricating them.

Straightpipes 09-28-2020 07:30 PM

I have the rear corners and the drivers side front corner. The front and rear are different radius. Thanks for looking for me.

cas3 09-28-2020 09:00 PM

for that part i have heard of folks making it out of the hard plastic like new fangled deck boards. you can machine it, and drive tacks in it too. model t folks are using it to replace wood tack strips all over the car

Newc 09-28-2020 10:10 PM

Yes; the hard plastic can be cut [sawed] to shape- even heated and bent. In industry we called it 'arguda'. White plastic and nails could be driven into it.. Newc

cas3 09-28-2020 10:44 PM

model t guys are using black. not sure the correct name, but you could even machine the correct shape in i believe

rich b 09-29-2020 08:51 AM

Last one we did still had the remains of the tack strip in place. We drilled out the rivets, removed the little remains of fiber, welded up some rust out, had the pieces powder coated, pop riveted them back in place (with sealer), then laid some of that black plastic tack strip in place, and pop riveted the plastic down. This worked out very well.

If you don't have the original tack strip to work with; I don't see why you couldn't cut some of that plastic wood to the right shape and go with that alone.

Something to consider; that while the original tack strip isn't "structural" in nature; it does add some rigidity to lip of the top opening.

If you haven't done this before; the top finish molding also uses some small machine screws to secure the ends in addition to the tacks over the length.

Straightpipes 09-29-2020 07:02 PM

Thank you for the tips. I will look into the plastic. Appreciate your help!