The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   front brake drum ??? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185674)

larry harding 12-28-2015 07:27 PM

front brake drum ???

31 pickup...I am just going through the brake system to make sure everything works o.k. my right front brake drum looks like a normal drum. my left front drum Is a skeleton drum(probably wrong term) with large windows or vents. one drum was probably replaced sometime in history. what have I got here and is it o.k. to run if everything checks out?

Mel Gross 12-28-2015 07:32 PM

Re: front brake drum ???

Larry

One of your drums is either a stamped steel (original) or cast iron drum (more modern).

The other with large openings is a Rocky Mountain drum.

They should be a match pair

The other question is what size diameter are both?

If you need more info, you can call me or email me.

Randy Gross
714-292-8660
[email protected]

Charlie Stephens 12-28-2015 08:58 PM

The cast iron drum with the windows is a late '31 introduction. The used the same design but 12 inch diameter in '32 (and up). I would suggest using the same on both sides of an axle.

Charlie Stephens

2manycars 12-28-2015 09:06 PM

I have the late 31 drums on the front of my tudor, and the iron composition helps the car stop better than the steel drums.

larry harding 12-28-2015 10:21 PM

I will do some checking tomorrow on size and try to determine steel or ci. the rear drums look normal and I think they are ci.

Kevin in NJ 12-28-2015 11:12 PM

The reason why you need them matched is because the drums behave different.

The metals will brake different depending on the temps. So they may seem fine when cold. Hot could cause unequal braking that would be not so nice.

The later style drum is desirable. You must measure the drums to check they are still usable.

Tom Wesenberg 12-28-2015 11:14 PM

Give Bert's a call tomorrow and see if they have a match for your open cast iron brake drum.
800-321-1931

pat in Santa Cruz 12-28-2015 11:33 PM

the one with the holes is a 31 cast iron drum. If its model A it is 11 inches. '32 and up were 12 inches. The guys are correct that cast and steel have differing friction coefficients and both drums (actually all 4) should be the same. Cast rear drums in 31did not have the holes, but they do not have the curved rim that a steel drum has. Bert's might have an original cast drum you can match up with. Cast is the better drum as it offers more friction as well as less expansion. in the long run, you would be better off with new cast iron drums all around and soft bonded lining. my31 slant has original cast drums on front, and Randy's on the rear. It stops on a dime

larrys40 12-29-2015 12:20 AM

Larry
As Tom had said you can call Berts to see if they have one. If not I have a few... and could check and see what I have. In my opinion they are the drum of choice, even over the new cast irons... although they are hard to find. I already have put a set aside for my 68C when I get to it.

Let me know if you need one.
Larry Shepard

larry harding 12-29-2015 11:54 AM

my drums are 11". they all look like ci to me. I've seen stamped steel drums on Cushman scooters, trucksters etc. these are definitely cast not stamped (both the vented and the solid one). the rear drums are both solid. I am going to re line the brakes at a later date, these will mdo for now for moving around the yard. i'm still a long ways and lots of dollears from getting on the road.

Dave in MN 12-29-2015 12:08 PM

Two weeks ago, I took delivery of a set of cast iron drums and composite shoes from Randy Gross for the front of a '29 CCPU I had been working on. The new drums were mounted to the hubs I sent to Randy. The shoes were arced to the drums. The pickup now stops like it should. With hard pedal, the vehicle has no tendency to pull to either side. Randy provides very good product, service and fair pricing.
I agree with the gents that have stated the drums should match on the same axle. For safety sake, consider Randy's products. JMO:
Good Day!

john charlton 12-29-2015 03:01 PM

The late 31 "spoked" front drums were also fitted to Manchester England built vehicles . On English drums the part number is embossed on the back of a spoke I have not seen this on a USA made drum .I have found seversl sets at USA swapmeets ,many people pass them by thinking they are "B" . I take my tape measure wih me !!! They are excellent and certainly improve the brakes .

John in wet and windy Suffolk County England .

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-29-2015 04:20 PM

Vermin has like NEW, .010 oversize STEEL drums & woven linings. I think I'll be OK on brake fade, if I use the gears on down grades. Even CAST drums can fade, if you don't know how to drive in the MOUNTAINS! RUNAWAYS can be CATASTROPHIC !!
If you're doing SERIOUS down grades, be DAMN SURE you're a GENIUS downshifter---Just practice & practice & practice 'til you get the hang of it ! !
Bill W.

Big hammer 12-29-2015 05:40 PM

But don't practice on mountains roads, it might be to late!